Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Shower enclosures
  • ahsat

So decided we need to sort out the en-suite shower (previous thread re cutting holes in ceiling…), and my likely impending knee surgery, means we are having to get on with it.

We need a new 900 mm quadrant enclosure and tray. It appears from another thread Mira Flight is a good tray option and I can find them for ~£120.

Re enclosures, I am trying to work out what you get for your money! We want central sliding doors, and I am thinking 8 mm glass so its got some rigidity? Those from the main websites like Victorian Plumbing/Victoria Plumb/Soak.com that come in ~£250 seem to look ok (bearing in mind most of these places don’t have showrooms) and come with 10 year guarantees. Do we really need to consider spending more?

Think we are just going with another Grohe Grohtherm 1000 shower like we have in the other bathroom (though the en-suite one needs to be enclosed). It seems to work! Though as the en-suite is 4 floors up from the Combi, the pressure isn’t quite a good as in the main bathroom.

rmacattack
    Free Member

blazing saddle and beansupreme to the fourm 🙂

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

We got ours about this time last year as part of the Crosswater annual sale. If you are quick you can find a local outlet that deals with them and bag yourself a bit of extra savings, We went for the Ten sliding shower enclosure – very impressed with it and, to us, looks very nice. Very simple lines and minimal metalwork.

http://www.crosswater-sale.co.uk/product/showering-shower-enclosures-single-sliders/ten-single-slider-shower-door-ten-single-slider-with-sp/

Bear
    Free Member

Mira shower doors are ok, Lakes stuff seems to be good, although I’ve mainly used their walk in stuff.

Grohe 1000, can’t really go wrong, use the 18153 installation bracket for simplicity!

ahsat

Lakes stuff seems to be good

The Lakes one at a similar price is 6 mm glass. So thinner glass + better brand, or thicker glass and less premium brand?

Bear
    Free Member

I’ve no experience of that, most of the stuff I’ve used is 8mm, sometimes 10mm.

I’ve been impressed by their aftersales and phone help as well as their products.

ahsat

Ok thanks. I wonder if we need to spend a bit more…gulp!

Can you fit a 1000 quadrant – you’d be surprised what a difference 100mm each side makes? I’ll dig out the details of the one I’ve recently installed, but it didn’t cost a fortune.

ahsat

No, we are pushed for space on both sides, particularly near the door of the room. The exciting 900 mm has only a few mm spare outside of it. Thanks though, night be that we can get a 900 mm in a similar model.

Also found a Lakes 8 mm in the sale for £380. Will depend what the fitting costs come in at.

cinnamon_girl

Bathroom has recently been replaced and went for an offset quadrant shower try and enclosure. It’s made by Ideal Standard and must say that it looks fantastic, well made, feels solid with doors opening smoothly.

Here’s a 900mm one:

http://www.ideal-standard.co.uk/product-details/900mm-quadrant-enclosure/T7351.html

http://www.tapsempire.co.uk/ideal-standard-kubo-900mm-quadrant-enclosure-t7351-p-19412.html

gobuchul
    Free Member

In my last place, I bought a Coram one off Ebay, from a “clearance” type seller.

It was brand new, still packaged etc. and was less than half the price it was being sold for on the usual websites.

ahsat

I’ve found a ~£1000 RRP Lakes Coastline enclosure for £343 from Flush Bathrooms. Seems they dont get good reviews for delivery (but thats fine as we dont have a fitting booked yet so I could just store it once it turned up). I am wondering based on the above whether this is a better option than the £250 Victorian Plumbing option.

cinnamon_girl

That looks nice and it makes sense to go with a reputable manufacturer. Who is going to fit this? If it’s a plumber then it might be worth running this model by him/her.

ahsat

Yes hopefully…but I dont have them turning up for a quote till tomorrow and one at the weekend, and that price ends tonight…!

Hummm….dont think they will be prepared to give an opinion till after they have seen the bathroom!

cinnamon_girl

Worth waiting for quotes and not impulse buy! (Speaking as someone who bought a basin that wouldn’t fit the furniture, retailer won’t accept a return so will be put up for sale. :oops:).

ahsat

Lol! Ok thanks – good reality check! Just welcome distract with lack of biking and I am getting ahead of myself!

Legoman
    Free Member

If you haven’t I’d try and find a showroom to compare 600m and 800mm from your chosen manufacturer – I’ve just downgraded my order to 600mm after doing a side-by-side comparison.

The difference was c. £200 and although there was a difference:
    1) it wasn’t worth £200
    2) both felt signifcantly more substantial than my current one

Merlyn brand if that helps

ahsat

Worth waiting for quotes and not impulse buy!

Thanks CG – you singlehanded prevented an expensive mistake! A fitter came round last night and after talking to him and reflecting on it, it dawned on us that style wouldnt work in our room…ops 🙄

cinnamon_girl

Oh ahsat, disappointing for you. 🙁 Did he have ideas of what would work?

razorrazoo

Also check the quality of the sliding mechanism/rollers. The ones on our old shower were rubbish and fell apart, once this happens you’re screwed.

ahsat

Did he have ideas of what would work?

Yes no crisis but just need to go for a more old school square one.

cinnamon_girl

Home improvements are all about compromise aren’t they!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Shower enclosures’ is closed to new replies.