Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Shower at Work; a moan
  • ravingdave

I am lucky enough to have a shower in the building that multiple tenants can use.

This means I can ride to work, shower and feel clean for the day. Which is essential as my ride in is muddy.

There is however a guy that drives in and uses the shower because it saves him money on water at home! Seriously WTF!

Unfortunately no matter what time I get in he always seems to have just beaten me to it and spends 40 minutes (no exaggeration) in there doing god only knows!

Wouldn’t be an issue, but the building has just 1 shower and several people who all ride or run to work and want to use it. I am usually so muddy that I cannot sit down and get on with stuff either.

I have half jokingly told him he is a tight git and its for people who NEED it etc, but he doesn’t seem to give a s**t. any suggestions on how to change his behaviour (apart from a piece of 2 by 4?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

kill him.

ravingdave

seems like a fair solution. the light switch is on the outside of the shower room. tomorrow I will just switch it off in error gotta save the planet and all that

perchypanther
    Free Member

There is however a guy that drives in and uses the shower because it saves him money on water at home! Seriously WTF!

…is what he tells you because he’s too embarrassed to tell you that his wife has kicked him out and he sleeps in his car in the far corner of Tesco’s car park.
    He’s in there having a quick shower, washing yesterdays clothes in the shower tray ……..and crying.

andyl
    Free Member

Maybe have a chat to HR.

Showers are normally provided for people who want to ride/jog to work or do activities in their lunch break etc. Maybe the company needs to make this clear?

In the past I have used the showers for other reasons eg if I had to be in very early to check something in the lab and in those cases i did ao out of normal commuter arrival times.

I would say he was bang our of order and his actions are affecting other people being able to get on with their jobs.

gummikuh

I guess you have to beat him in.

You could visit his home late at night and remove some air from his front tyres, that would slow him down a bit?

I had a similar situation at my last job, where a group of agency workers discovered the free shower and it took sometimes an hour before I could shower, they wouldn’t use a towel either just took rolls of toilet paper into the shower, it looked like it had snowed!
    And then blocked the plug hole.

Tell him you do unspeakable things in the showers and he had better wear those plastic slip-ons!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

While he’s in there eat his minieggs

benp1

Give him a hug (in your muddy kit) as soon as he’s out and dressed, thanking him for making sure the water for the shower is nice and warm

perchypanther
    Free Member

I guess you have to beat him in.

Up. Not in.

Up.

NOT OFF.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Just get in with him and drop the soap.

MoreCashThanDash

Start with HR.

The suggestion that he has been kicked out is not that unlikely though. Used to work with a guy who pretty much lived in his car in our underground car park after a marital fall out, but that is a more sensitive HR issue.

stevied
    Free Member

End of day – check fuse has been removed by last user
    Start of day – put fuse back, have shower, remove fuse

Issue fuses to those who use it for the right reasons.

fasthaggis

YoKaiser wins,sharing is caring.

binners

Rubber_Buccaneer

Just get in with him and drop the soap.

Just get in with him and knock the soap out of his hand. I’m more of a (generous) giver 🙂

Drac

I bet he eats the mini eggs too.

P-Jay
    Free Member

You could drive to work? 😉

But seriously, I’d personally put a sign up “During peak times, 08:00 to 09:00 please limit your shower time to 5 mins” or the like.

Everyone will assume someone of authority has put it up.

ravingdave

wife kicked him out? in his dreams! he lives on his own and is single. (you pay less council tax you see!)

HR would be a good shout; the only issue being we don’t really have an HR person. so the director would be it. he would probably just laugh and shrug his shoulders!

I like the idea of a karcher; I could use it on me!

he ALWAYS eats everything! but especially mini eggs, that I left on my desk! 😆

ravingdave

like it PJ very good idea; I could even put the landlords logo on it to look professional!

jekkyl

If he takes 40 minutes why haven’t you already had a word and say that sort of time isn’t acceptable when others are waiting?
    If it were me I’d have a word and then the next day turn up and if he’s in there knock on the door and ask him if he’s nearly finished yet and could he hurry up. Then wait outside impatiently humphing and then knock on again after a further 5 minutes, until he gets the message.

Pigface
    Free Member

I use the shower at work of a morning as where I live we only have a bath, my boss moaned at me for using it. I get in 20 mins before I start so I don’t shower on work time. I asked him if it was such a big problem, he just muttered and wandered off.

40 mins what the hell is he doing in there? Answers on a post card.

STATO
    Free Member

HR would be a good shout; the only issue being we don’t really have an HR person. so the director would be it. he would probably just laugh and shrug his shoulders!

Simple answer then, take off muddy baggies and sit at your desk in your lycra until the shower is free.

Drac

he ALWAYS eats everything! but especially mini eggs, that I left on my desk!

Sack him, no cuddles just sack him.

ads678

Is he getting paid for his 40 minute shower. The boss might not be so inclined to laugh it off if he is!!

Keep banging on the door reminding him how long he’s been in there, every 5 mins or something.

Or rearrange his desk every time he goes in there.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

In my old office some people came out of the shower room with toothbrushes and shavers and all sorts of stuff. There’d also be a few muscle enthusiasts who’d been to the gym spent ages doing their hair and applying beauty creams before posing in the mirror for ages. grrr. Definitely need a 5 minute max rule.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Sit your wet ass down on HIS chair and lay out all your clothes on HIS desk to dry out.

But also, have a quiet word. As others have said, he may have been kicked out and he’s drying his Fathers for Justice superhero garments.

lunge

Err, talk to him properly.

“Hi Steve, any chance you can cut your shower time down a bit? There’s a few of us who need to use it and 40 mins in there causes a bit of a queue. Thanks.”

stevied
    Free Member

“Hi Steve….”

It’s not me! 😉

Drac

Witch a witch!

hels
    Free Member

If ever a situation needed a passive aggressive note – this is it.

lunge

Witch a witch!

I know, sorry. I just don’t get it sometimes, don’t send a note, don’t make a sign, don’t go to HR, just talk to the guy. Most people are reasonable, he may not realise it’s a problem and will if you talk to him he can change is behavior.

martinhutch

Is it an electric shower? If so, where’s the isolating switch? 😀

gobuchul
    Free Member

40 minutes? Is that on Company time?

Why hasn’t his boss had a word?

binners

Are you new here? The police, local council, a selection of government agencies, and possibly the UN will have been contacted before that kind of madness takes place

thestabiliser
    Free Member

On-line petition?

ThePinkster

People actually talking to each other? That’ll never work…

Stevet1
    Free Member

swap his shampoo for glue Police Academy style.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Wee on his desk, then set it on fire.

ravingdave

what would I need to drink to make my wee flammable?

tried talking in a nice half jokey way; don’t be such a tight git etc and did your ride or run in today?! , but he is on of those people who will not change their views or have their view changed.

we also work in close proximity professionally and I have seen him be a bit of a d**k.

Guess I will need to MTFU!

djtom
    Free Member

he ALWAYS eats everything! but especially mini eggs, that I left on my desk!

Picolax. Just hope that he’s not in the shower when it kicks in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Shower at Work; a moan’ is closed to new replies.