Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Show us your … Winter Commuter
  • gothandy

OK they are never going to be the prettiest bikes, or the most bling-tastic, but I’m interested to see what people will be riding to work this winter. Pub bikes also welcome!

Here is mine.

Winter Commuter by gothandy, on Flickr

The classic GT Zaskar frame from ebay, 700mm road wheels from a mate in France, mechanical disk brakes (easy to maintain and don’t mind being left), dodgy looking mud guards and a road cassette on the back.

rOcKeTdOg

gothandy

Not quite what I had in mind rOcKeTdOg!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i dont really have a winter comuter, if its got good tyres for the snow i dont care what i ride lol

Slacks
    Free Member

Same as the summer one.
    [/url] New wheels on commuter by callmebobII, on Flickr[/img]

maxray
    Free Member

This is actually my all year commuter come rain/snow/shine or the recent perma headwinds. 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Used all year except when it snows. Soon to be changed to a flat bar.

robdob
    Free Member

Specialized Tricross Sport, changed tyres to Conti Gatorskins 28mm, crankset to a Dura Ace triple and SKS Thermoplastics on it. Oh, and a front V Brake instead of the canti. Perfect!

firestarter
    Free Member

Fixed wheel shed

The locks even in the pic 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Just need to square away the mudgaurds…- Tonights job 😳

wwaswas

most of the bits off my summer FS bike were put on a ‘spare’ inbred frame last week. Hence XTR shifters, cranks and mech, Hope Pro2 hubs and Magura Marta brakes. Rides very well. I’ve got some proper ‘guards to fit soon.

Will mostly be used for my twice a day 3 mile school run with trailer bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

**** me OP that is one gopping bike.

StirlingCrispin

Now fitted with chain guard and dynamo lights.

foxyrider
    Free Member

cp

Also the summer commuter, winter training bike, cross bike (in action next weekend with a change to tyres and gearing). awesome bike!

rOcKeTdOg

cynic-al – Member
    **** me OP that is one gopping bike.

isn’t that the point though? unnickable through undesirableness

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Edit – Goddamit img link does work. Grrr…

Swalsey
    Free Member

The 105 version of this – plus lights nad mudguards. But it is 30 miles one-way, 2-3 times per week.

theboatman
    Free Member

Well it’s the same as the summer commuter, but since it’s just had its annual clean, cables and grease, it seems the best time to post up a pic of it;

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

More a case of the spare parts box bolted together with some seriously bodged mudguard mounts.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

robdob- sort your mudguards out and shifters are too high.

Teetosugars- also change the bar tape while your at it.

wwaswas- nice ladies saddle.

StirlingCrispin- WTF is that saddle bag !

foxyrider- Dont think your steerer tube is long enough.

Alex

Woger Wibble by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Unridden at that point. Two commutes this week. Those gear ratios will make a man of me. Surprisingly fun to ride as well.

wwaswas

kinkongsfinger – 😳 I like the shape of wtb saddles but not without a chamois – I think it’s just well padded rather than girly though…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

kingkongsfinger – Member

Teetosugars- also change the bar tape while your at it.

Why?

I quite like it… 😉

Oh, and it was free…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Coleman
    Free Member

Winter & Summer

foxyrider
    Free Member

kingkongsfinger – Long enough for me 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

LOL @ your ‘average’ STW commuter.

With the odd exception, most people would be over the moon to have any of them as their best bike !!

karnali
    Free Member

currently on a soul with seat psot rack but fancy a 1*10 roadrat after seeing that one in the pics

StirlingCrispin

kingkongsfinger – Member

StirlingCrispin- WTF is that saddle bag !

Carradice Camper Longflap.
    24l of load-lugging, which with the Klikfix can be removed from the bike in seconds. Rucsacs are for noobs.

RichS

soobalias
    Free Member

i winterised my commuter by adding some more reflective tape, changing the batteries in the rear light and repainting a few areas with underseal.

i fully intend to do the rear wheel bearings and buy some new brake blocks…

Woody
    Free Member

Here’s my pub/around village bike with anti-theft device. 12 year Coyote frame with various bits which were lying around/picked up cheap. It’s all going to be transferred to a 1994 Marin Bear Valley frame when I eventually get round to having it powder-coated.

wwaswas

anti-theft device

the really slack chain? 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Never slipped yet. I would get a mech hanger/gears but it’s not worth it for a 12 year old frame 😉

gothandy

More a case of the spare parts box bolted together with some seriously bodged mudguard mounts.

couldashouldawoulda how did you bodge those mud guards on! Impressed I tried and failed, but might have another go now.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Behold my commuter! The most disgustingly horrible (yet awesome) bike I have ever had or hopefully ever will have! 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Gothandy: for the front top I drilled a small hole in the arch (the fork is such a piece of c***). Then big hoseclips with holes drilled in the protuding part for the bottom. Threadlock on the bolts. Not pretty but it works.

The frame already had a hole on the stay brace so I added some more drilled hoseclips near the dropouts.

The guards are these (65mm mtb):
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplastic-mudguard-set/

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I used a cable tie round the arch on my sids, and cateye light brackets on each leg to secure my mudgaurds and they’re solid 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

couldashouldawoulda – soumehow, though it shouldn’t, that really works for me.

Mind is v unexciting. Here, in touring mode, on the ferry to Belgium a a couple of years ago. Doesn’t sport a rack these days and is a whole lot filthier.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Show us your … Winter Commuter’ is closed to new replies.