Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 174 total)
  • Show us your super bike (MTB)
  • witty.name
    Free Member

IF,moots,kent eriksen,firefly ti bars,enve and chris king purple make up my effort.

Untitled by steverog5, on Flickr

Untitled by steverog5, on Flickr

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Am I allowed to join in the party with my Ibis Mojo HD?

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, there’s XT and X.9 on show 😉

luke1688

My 2 pence worth!

image by luke.greenwood, on Flickr

image by luke.greenwood, on Flickr

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Soz

womp
    Free Member

I really really want to like Santa Cruz but my OCD wont let me see past the cable management

njee20
    Free Member

Certainly a candidate for 1×10 and a Stealth Reverb!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

My Bronson. Not only descends well but a brilliant climber too, and it’s reasonably light. You can tell I’m a bit of a Hope fan

Bronson by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

Bronson in Coire Mhic Fhearchair by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Double post

womp
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Certainly a candidate for 1×10 and a Stealth Reverb!

Agreed, does the carbon tallboy have stealth routing though ?

char34
    Free Member

nice bronson but ditch the blue and have black look brill with all black bits where you have blue

stewartc
    Free Member

Stung by the criticism that ‘Super Bikes’ don’t have XT components I went and put an XX1 drive train on mine to push it into this elusive group (and a Float X shock)…

Oh, I forgot the brakes…Bol#@#ks

njee20
    Free Member

Well done. XT brakes are admissible, they’re very good after all.

discoduck
    Free Member

Womp, I looked past the cable management in an effort to maximise their excellent customer care, I know you shouldn’t have to but they do look after you, a bit like Hope, all Hope on my bright yellow nomad the black on yellow does look 8)
    It’s got XT cranks, shifters and rear mech so I can’t add pictures as its not a superbike,

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t add pictures as its not a superbike,

Oh teh ironing! Where’s that post where you were making snide comments telling everyone you were awesome because you buy expensive bikes…!?

discoduck
    Free Member

Don’t be a cock ! Snap out of your self styled status of Forum god and remember its about riding bikes not belittling people on the Internet with your superior holier than thou attitude, I don’t think it was snide ? I don’t remember telling any one I was awesome and I think I can remember mentioning something about buying expensive bikes as some one was asking the question ?
    Without going into painful detail and as demonstrated a week after that post I made, a guy with a £4K cube was told he didn’t have a warranty claim 4 weeks into ownership and a few rides in ?
    My theory was and still is buy cheap buy twice, I do spend a lot of money on bikes but 3 years into owning a Santa Cruz I had a frame warrantied and got a brand new frame, that’s what I pay, service and after care,

Please add the post in a link below of what i actually said so we can all see your skills as a forum elite MTB’er you can add bits in bold to your express your dissatisfaction and also add speech marks exclamation marks and more superior wit and humour,

I bow to excellence and self styled moderation !

boltonjon

liteville snow by boltonjon, on Flickr

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Now now children.

Maybe this childish bickering goes hand in hand with owning a ‘superbike’ 😮

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe this childish bickering goes hand in hand with owning a ‘superbike’

Nah, just with being on STW 😉

Please add the post in a link below of what i actually said

Ok. Taken from here. You said (in reference to LBSs):

at the end of the day if the likes of me don’t spend 5 grand on bikes and hundreds on kit they would struggle to employ the staff and maintain a healthy business.

and, despite not a single comment even insuinuating anything to the contrary you then said:

I appologise if spending £5K on a bike is beyond your reasoning

You were about the only one on that thread who felt the need to boast about what you’ve spent (and that really is all it is), so the fact you’re now saying your bike isn’t worth of this thread amuses me. That’s all.

Is forum elite akin to Big Hitter (TM)? Have I made it now?!

Anyway, back OT… Yeti looks excellent, needs a Kashima dropper though, for consistency!

rickmeister

Stewartc,

Does your bike move at all on that gearing ?

njee20
    Free Member

Looks like a 30t ring? 10-42 cassette, low gear is akin to the triples of yore.

bigrich

does having a room full of bikes that cumulatively add up to being worth about 5 grand count?

Wookster

I don’t think that XT stops a bike being a super bike TBH! If its all based upon cost a Santa Cruz carbon bike (any of them!) =2.6k, fox fork 900, Dropper 300, Enve wheels=1800 plus bars stems finish kit and full XT is well over the original 5k “super bike” limit!

njee20
    Free Member

The stipulated threshold was £4500. So which is more ‘super’ – an XTR equipped Canyon or an XT equipped SC, assuming the same cost?

Wookster

njee20 – Member
    The stipulated threshold was £4500. So which is more ‘super’ – an XTR equipped Canyon or an XT equipped SC, assuming the same cost?

Touché Sir! The boutique factor can and does blur things some what, but both are still a lush bit of kit so a score draw! 😈

njee20
    Free Member

Mmm, interesting question really isn’t it – there’s a perceived ‘value’ of the SC which makes it seem more ‘super’!

stewartc
    Free Member

Rickmeister – I wasn’t aware these bike were meant to be ridden!
    Need a a 30t chainring as I climb a lot of steep mountains here (typically 350-450mtr plus) to actually get to the trails, so far it seems OK on the flat bits as well.
    The gearing is close to that of my old 2×10 setup, and even without the low granny gear the difference did not seem that noticeable on my test ride this weekend (the deathly silence was noticeable though).

Wookster

Yep the perception of the brand adds value, if it adds performance is another question.

selwob
    Free Member

Interesting thought does brand perception add value ? I’d agree with Wookster thoughts TBH and seeing as the does it add performance question is so subjective I never even considered it when making my original post.

When I plucked the £4500 price I was probabilly wrong to do so and was thinking that’s the price of the better value superbikes eg. Canyons dripping with Carbon, XTR, Kaskima ect (which I see are now only £4000)

So does XT belong on a superbike ? In my mind no that was not my intention when originally posting, I was thinking of top spec silly builds really.

Just had a look at an XTR Kashima tallboy £6200!!

njee20
    Free Member

So £1000 cheaper than an S-Works, bargain!

wonnyj
    Free Member

Simple:

Canyon’s definitely not.
    XT no (maybe the brakes but nothing else).

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Not enough big hitters on this thread

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’m a skateboarder, always will be, so I should really like santa cruz bikes…. I just don’t.

DanW
    Free Member

Dirtyrider’s Scalpel is probably my favourite here. “Proper” superbike in that aswell as it being damn expensive and light, you are highly unlikely to ever see anything else the same.

My all time favourite is here. Again, another “proper” superbike 😀

A superbike in my eyes is a no expense spared machine with lots or personal and unique touches you are unlikely to see anywhere else. A £6000 S-Works/ Santa Cruz/ whatever is still not a superbike in my eyes if anyone else can buy one off the shelf. I’ll never own a superbike so am probably just jealous.

There are alot of bikes that clearly have a lot of thought put in to them speccing interesting and unique mixes of components and these are closer to superbikes as far as I see it than a bike that is “just” expensive. Some cracking bikes in this thread! 😀

womp
    Free Member

Wonny j why no canyons ?

mikey74
    Free Member

Morewood Kalula complete bike. It’s pretty much stock, apart from the SLX brakes, grips and tyres.

rickmeister

Thanks Stewartc, I’m just about to build up a Tranny ht and was wondering which way to go, we have a 507m climb out of the back door of the house…

organic355
    Free Member

Dont think this really qualifies, but its the best bike I have owned, and is comparble to some that have been posted.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Yup no Canyons or Cubes.

Purely a personal dislike of mass produced, big german direct sales outfits. Knocked out in their thousands in a Taiwanese factory.

A superbike frame should have an element of something extra special.

wonnyj
    Free Member

That Canyon looks like a trek fuel rip off. And is not particularly special. The Turners and Independent Fabrications on the other hand are lovely.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘Show us your super bike (MTB)’ is closed to new replies.