Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • show us your steel bikes road/mountain
  • racefaceec90

have been thinking about getting my first proper road bike (not for a fair while yet),and was thinking of getting one made out of the stuff.was just interested in seeing some of your bikes (road or mountain bikes).p.s can you get a decent steel road bike for under £1000? preferably £500 if possible. anyhoo over to you. 🙂

racefaceec90

actually just seen this (this looks spot on for me) has anyone got one? am looking forward to seeing your steeds.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

p.s can you get a decent steel road bike for under £1000?

Frame and Fork, yes, otherwise No!

These are awesome.

lu
    Free Member

Have you considered second hand?
    I know of a rare hand made ‘Tony Oliver’ road bike available for sale.
    Reynolds Designer tubing (~51cm)
    Dura-ace 14sp groupset
    1 pr hp wheels, 1 pr sprint (both Dura-ace)
    Modolo combined brake lever/shifters (original levers available.)
    Look pedals.
    I can email a piccie if you’re interested.

racefaceec90

that’s very kind of you lu,but i really wasn’t planning on getting a bike for quite some time (probably about a year.am currently just about paid off my anthem,then have to buy some gig tickets,and then a new guitar amp.phew) just interested in what people ride (i am not a bike voyeur honest 🙂

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Vortexracing

road

P1030364 by eastham_david, on Flickr

mtb

P1000834 by eastham_david, on Flickr

older mtb

Back of Conwy Mountain by eastham_david, on Flickr

another mtb

IMGP1131 by eastham_david, on Flickr

and another mtb

IMG_2923 by eastham_david, on Flickr

and my buggering about bike

IMG_3083 by eastham_david, on Flickr

wors

How do you rate the roadrat vortex?

postierich
    Free Member

My baby by Richard Munro, on Flickr

firestarter
    Free Member

My few steel ones

Cx ss

Commuter fixed

29er ss

Ht

racefaceec90

vortexracing how do you like your cotics (could you use the bf e for all round riding,or is the soul more suited).some lovely bikes there everyone. i forgot to add that although i do not have any steel bikes at the moment (i have a 2010 giant anthem x2 and an old mongoose fireball for trips to shops e.t.c) i have owned 3 bikes in my time.a 1988 dawes ascent (with 501 tubing,my first mtb/weighed a ton,but i did my first 100 miles on it) a 1992 marin eldridge grade (awesome bike),and a raleigh elan road bike in mint green (i bent the front when a van pulled out on me at a roundabout.i had right of way) i really like the feel of steel (especially the marin/mmm tange prestige) why don’t they do steel like the old days,and i include all the bike companies in that (fat chance/salsa/kona e.t.c)

psychle
    Free Member

Columbus tubing, lovely ride 🙂

DSCF4083 by ten_sim, on Flickr

Vortexracing

I think i’ve still got the new bike bug with the roadrat, but I really like it. It sits perfectly between the Soul and my Roadbike. Was out on Saturday with it over some pretty rough tracks around the village and it was great. I intend to try it with drops in a bit and see what it’s like then. Up to now though, nothing but praise.

The Soul suits me perfectly for all round riding.I had the custard one for nearly 3 years and it didn’t miss abeat. Hence why I bought another one. That BFe I had was the earlier full 853 one which was very stiff, the new ones are supposed to be a little more forgiving.

I still wouldn’t mind one of those new ones though, with big forks 😉

The Soul is actually quite capable and in the spec above (Black one) is only 25lbs.

steelfan
    Free Member

Just got this today.

MrSmith
    Free Member

my oversize columbus spirit pegoretti
    not bothered to take any decent pics of it built up yet

racefaceec90

ooh that’s very nice steelfan (i was impressed when i saw the pic of bike).let us know what you think,once you have built and ridden it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am on my third Genesis Equilibrium. Had an original 853 framed one in silver built with black 5600 ten speed 105. Sold that as I needed cash. Then I had a second generation Reynolds 725 frame in red like the one above. Built that with black 5700 ten speed 105 and 105 / DT Swiss 1.2 wheels. Sold that to fund a VW Beetle. Now got a black 725 frame from an Equilibrium 10 built with 6700 10 speed Ultegra, RS80 carbon laminate wheels and Pro Vibe carbon kit.

steelfan
    Free Member

Will Do RF90.
    I like yours Mister P. I’m going the campag route on mine.
    I always fancied one of the original 853 versions but they were like gold dust!

Mister-P
    Free Member

The 725 has different geometry to the older 853 model. The newer one just feels more connected to the rider where as the older one felt a little bit remote somehow.

MrSmith
    Free Member

the old 853 model was not a nice bike to ride, nervous at high speed but felt ponderous maneuvering at slow speed. the aluminium model (can’t remember the model name) was a much better bike. and yes i did get to ride them both on long rides.

mrmo
    Free Member

the red frame has rusted through on the seat tube

and

stu1972
    Free Member

Cove Handjob at Whinlatter north loop

racefaceec90

great bikes everyone.mrmo how are those bontragers to ride (i must admit to wanting one of them back in the day.it’s a shame that keith stopped making them.had some good engineering)

4ndyB
    Free Member
    mrmo
    Free Member

@racefacec90, i think the best way to describe the ride is as thought driven. The handling is quick, and really suits singletrack, but still comfy enough for a long ride.

Merak

Ive had this since new, back in 1998. I took this pic recently, still love it.

And a new addition. A few changes made since this pic. Comedy gearing, seatpost for ubiquitous Thomson etc.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The mighty Chromag Samurai.

Less mighty Surly Karate Monkey.

Salsa Vaya as yet incomplete. 🙂

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Here’s mine:

As for a steel road bike for £500, look HERE

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Now with bar tape.

It should be easy enough to pick up a 531 road frame on ebay and build one up for £500.

Oggles
    Free Member

Love that Bontrager, Merak!

Rock Lobster Gate-Five-Three by tenin2wenty10, on Flickr

andrewh
    Free Member

Anyone guess make, model and year?
    (NB, bit of a Trigger’s brush so only guess based on the frame)
    Prize if you get all three and the location of the photo.

smell_it
    Free Member

Mrsmith’s pegoretti makes my pants angry tight 😀 and that cheeky photo is such a tease.

racefaceec90

Sponging-Machine thanks for the link.i think i will go for one of them (would be at the ideal price range that i was looking for) that genisis is a lovely bike but they start at near £1000 upwards.as i haven’t ridden a road bike for a long time,i think that the kona would be perfect.i reckon that i could do some light cyclo cross on it as well.plus i have always wanted a kona (from the days of the gold explosif) 😀

bobgarrod
    Free Member

voodoo bizango

cynic-al
    Free Member

MrSmith – scales out please! And price?

slugwash
    Free Member

My 1991 Condor (Dave Yates) Diablo……

maxray
    Free Member

Current road and a bit of everything else:

Croix by Sush Kelly, on Flickr

My 456 .. sadly now in the hands of some scrote..

4562 by Sush Kelly, on Flickr

rOcKeTdOg

wpa1 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

wfhj by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

maxlight4 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

IMG_1874 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

damp by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

kiwijohn

Bernaard
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘show us your steel bikes road/mountain’ is closed to new replies.