Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Show us your sportsbike :roll:
  • allthegear
    Free Member

Hmm – I’d rather drop this at 10mph than an R1 at 110mph…

(was still bloody heavy to pick up, mind)

Rachel

sharkattack

I’m not a curtain twitching killjoy and I hate telling people what to do so I won’t BUT…

At my first job I worked with someone who was taking bike lessons. He passed on a Saturday morning and went out to put a deposit on a bike (Yamaha R6). On the next Friday he had all his gear with him including his shiny new helmet and when we finished early he went straight to collect the bike. On Monday morning I heard that he’d died in a crash on Friday night. He lasted about 4 hours before he drifted wide on a slip road and entered the A1 into the side of a lorry.

I have another mate with less cash who bought a cheap bike just after passing his test. An old CBR600. He entered a left hander too fast trying to keep up with his new biker mates. He drifted into oncoming traffic and sat up to turn right but there was nowhere to go but off the road. He went airborne over the kerb with his leg flailing out which hit a lamp post and snapped in half. Only his leathers were holding his leg on and the blood and screaming made the first lad on the scene vomit. He was off his feet for 2 years.

I’ve got nothing against bikes and I want one myself eventually. I just can’t fathom the appeal of sportsbikes. They’re one trick ponies and if you’re not thrashing them all the time you’d be much better off on something else. All bikes are fast enough to make progress. Consider something upright and comfortable and just have fun.

I want one of these beauties!

fasthaggis

As a very old biker told me when I was starting off.

“It’s no the speed that kills ya son,it’s lack o respect fir the speed that’ll get ya.

bazzer
    Free Member

Its completely down to you and your ego, if you are sensible enough it will be no problem at all. If you think your Rossi then it might be.

An R6 makes a lot of its power up the rev range so to be honest if you don’t cane it then it wont be that fast. You have to “try” to go fast on a modern 600. It does however have superb brakes and handling so its just as likely to get you out of trouble as into it.

I had one of the 99 R6’s when it came out, it was a cracking bike. I can only think the newer ones are better.

I ride a Tuono APRC on the road now and love the more comfortable position and the fact its still as quick as I would be happy going on the road. I also have a Daytona 675 track bike which is great for track but I am crippled after riding it for 20mins 🙂

bails

Do any of the motorbike people on here keep their bike outside? I’ve always wanted to learn (sitting in queues of traffic in the car is frustrating when I could be on the road bike, but sometimes I’m too knackered to cycle in!) but we’re currently in a flat with no protected parking or garage. Because the flat’s rented I wouldn’t be able to attach a ground anchor anywhere either.

But now we’re looking at buying our own place, we’ve found somewhere good, except there’s no garage or rear access to the back garden. If (big if) I had a motorbike it would have to live out the front of the house, not on the road, but still not locked inside a garage. Anyone do this with a ground anchor and disk lock/alarm setup?

binners

Do any of the motorbike people on here keep their bike outside?

trailhound101

Apologies for the plug and if you’re set on an R6 that’s great. However, I happen to be selling my Kawasaki ZX6R G2. It was bought new by the missus in 1999. Its got a genuine 10900 miles on it and in good condition for its age – all original with no “go faster” bits. Had it MOT’ed last week no problems and looking for about £2000 for it. email me if you want further details and photos – adotwalker700atbtinternetdotcom
    It’s gotta go to fund the new BMW S1000XR ….. [ooops, I just drooled all over the keyboard].

PS – anyone no how to load photos from my hard drive onto this forum??

weeksy

bails – Member

Do any of the motorbike people on here keep their bike outside? I’ve always wanted to learn (sitting in queues of traffic in the car is frustrating when I could be on the road bike, but sometimes I’m too knackered to cycle in!) but we’re currently in a flat with no protected parking or garage. Because the flat’s rented I wouldn’t be able to attach a ground anchor anywhere either.

But now we’re looking at buying our own place, we’ve found somewhere good, except there’s no garage or rear access to the back garden. If (big if) I had a motorbike it would have to live out the front of the house, not on the road, but still not locked inside a garage. Anyone do this with a ground anchor and disk lock/alarm setup?

Did for several years, but lived in a nice place in the countryside and had an Almax series IV lock and chain. No problems.

Edric64
    Free Member

I bought a 600 Fazer after doing direct access then 2 years later bought an RF900 I found that plenty quick enough

kayla1
    Free Member

If you like that MT-09, don’t discount the MT-07. I had a quick go on one and they’re brill!

superfli
    Free Member

I used to keep mine under a carport until I moved. That was 2002-2007. I used to keep it locked with fairly sturdy but not too expensive bike lock (its only a deterrent) and under an insulated bike cover which cats pissed on. No issues with theft. Carport was by some garages behind my house.

Had lots of GSXR750’s in the past, and a few others inc trail bikes. Now onto a do it all BMW GS800.

My last few bikes

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of tiddlers, a Suzuki GP100 and an Aprilia RS125.

Given my ability to scare myself on those, I’ve no desire for a big bike. (Unless I garage find a RG500 for free 😉 )

binners

Of the bikes most likely to kill you, surely an RG500 is right at the top of the list? What a way to die though!

A mate had one. It was ridiculous! In his words ‘it’ll pass anything!!…… apart from a petrol station”

sobriety
    Free Member

Yup. But as you said, what a way to go!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Show us your sportsbike :roll:’ is closed to new replies.