Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Show us your… old bike, new(er) build
  • harrington
    Free Member

Here's mine. 13 year old frame built up on the cheap with bits from here, eBay etc. (just treated her to the Fox's off the classifieds here). Actually, i got the frame off here too…

(first time posting a pic so could be epic fail)

Mattbike

1998 Kona Stab with fresh powder coat and modern components new pivot bushes and bearings.

Currently in 5 inch travel mode. I have an air shock on it at present which lightens it a bit.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It was a then 10 year old frame I resprayed myself and put discs on it.

Bit of a change from it's old skool 63mm fork/flat bars/ski bar ends/v-brakes/21 gears to that.

It got stolen exactly 7 days after I sprayed it. If anyone's seen it please let me know.

spacehopper

1993 GT RTS Team.. 97 bomber Z1's and DX vbrakes…
    the rest of the kit is mostly modern stuff ive cobbled together from here and there..! 😛

harrington
    Free Member

enjoying seeing these. how gutting that one being nicked after you'd just spend that time on it 👿

great photo spacehopper (lovely bike too)

tracknicko
    Free Member

ha ha! good timing. frame bought last week off a fella on here to replace a sidekick mk3 (possibly for sale). arrived yesterday. built yesterday.

foxyrider
    Free Member

How about – old frame then new frame?

OLD:

NEW:

joolsburger
    Free Member

2000 Ellsworth Joker resprayed Saab met grey and with a few new bits.

coastkid
    Free Member

99 super v frame/00 raven swingarm/06 RP3 giving 6" travel, 06 build

ourmaninthenorth

1978 Holdsworth Equipe frame and Weinmann brakes. New wheels, NOS seatpost and brake levers, recent cranks, stem, saddle and bars.

Limy
    Free Member

Brought new in 1996 M800 Beast of the east. Nothing on it is original any more and even the frame has been modified (cut part of drop out off) to allow disc brakes.

_tom_
    Free Member

Dunno if this is defined as old, think the frame's about a 2002-2004?

DMR Trailstar 2 LT (I think) built up as a do-it-all with a focus on jumping.

toaster93
    Free Member

Is 2002 old?

carlosg
    Free Member

'01 Orange P7 , spray job and a mix of old and new bits.

letmetalktomark

1999 Kona Caldera – Bought new in December 2008.

Been built in a load of different ways and has bee fettled by Argos Cycles.

Current guise:

Off road mode:

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

That cannondale Super V is sweet!

It's a testament to DMR that nothing they have ever done has even started to look 'old' yet!

tinsy
    Free Member

All your old bikes look so bling, here is mine its a bit more ming!!

Nearly all off of here, in this picture it only had 1 brand new component and that was only a brake adaptor, everything else was bought 2nd hand. I recently bought it a new chainring, so it has 2 new parts now!!!

VanHalen

that super v. i love em but isnt it WAAAY steep without hte lower headset extender cup?

mine was unrideable with regular forks without it.

coastkid
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member

that super v. i love em but isnt it WAAAY steep without the lower headset extender cup?

mine was unrideable with regular forks without it.

this old frame is so fun to ride…
    the Vs very always quick steering in original spec but its ok to ride with the 140 pikeys…gets the job done!

also have a rarer import john deere green killer v-now a commuter it did have an 07 build with a rear bolt on disc adaptor…

plop_pants
    Free Member

My '96 Klein Attitude

Not really upgraded that much just refitted with some bits of that era, Crossmax, Shannon seatpost and one or two other bits and bobs.

bullroar
    Free Member

All your old bikes look so bling, here is mine its a bit more ming!!

No bling here, not much ming either but definitely mongrel.

momo

2000 s-works ht frame. '07 fox TALAS

tinsy
    Free Member

It was too hot to really have it yesterday, so I ambled about and took a pic of my other bike instead, not really old, not really bling, but nearly all 2nd hand stuff again, first gen Scandal with some scandium content, loads of stuff ive been ruunning since 04 and a couple of new bits to make it nice and white. I am like a recyling centre I think.

clubber
    Free Member

1995 Kilauea that I've had from new and done all sorts of things on – built up with a mix of kit but mostly more modern – the Pace forks in the pics have been replaced with RC39s. The brakes are proper retro though – 1996 Hope C2s and still working well.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My '89 Alves still as I rode it back in the day. Recent updates have been limited to a newer rear tyre.

DezB
    Free Member

The perfect thread for this beast – my first bought MTB (borrowed em until then!) in 1995 was a Principia Mac B. Super-light alu frame, about 3.2lbs IIRC. Been hanging in my garage since 1998. Inspiration from STW made my unhook it and build it singlespeed with some parts from here. Has been ridden everyday since for dog walking purposes over the local woods.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Does this count? Probably not but here it is anyway.

Kato

My 1998 Kona Kula

Recent additions being a Thomson post, M960 XTR v's and SRAM X9

Have a P2 waiting to go on it too!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Here's my Enduro – an old 2003/2004 S-Works model updated with a modern pro-pedal coil shock and coil Pikes.

I've not ridden an equivalent modern bike, however while I can easily image one of those being significantly lighter I'd be surprised if it was signigicantly more fun!

harrington
    Free Member

enjoying looking at these. my other bike. recent purchase – Dyna-Tech Diablo LX in 94 vintage I believe. Originally wore Ti rigid forks (as well as the Ti stem, bars and main tubes) and the only more 'modern' bits so far are the Pace forks (2001 – RC36 Pro Class 2's, same as on that lovely Kona above) and front V brake. will soon have a full set of XT parallel push V brakes. This is my local hack/sometime commuter, the Heckler is reserved for the more serious stuff…

ajantom

1999 Sunn Urge – revamped as a Single Speed singletrack killer….

Halfbike

Halfbike

This is my very much modified 1995 Orange P7 (had disk mounts welded on, canti mounts taken off, bottom bracket shell cut and re-welded after a slight bottom bracket unscrewing misadventure, forks custom tuned by Tim at Fork English, frame now on its 5th re-spray etc etc).

I used this as my guiding bike for a couple of years and have ridden/raced/hammered her (it?) all over the world. Now used as a winter/hack/spare bike and going out night riding on her/it this evening.

Still ace to ride, looks "ok" and always get some comedy comments when someone else tries her (super low bars, friction thumbies, 50mm of travel, skinny tyres etc)

kiwijohn

1995 DBR Axis TT.

In bike packing mode

mst
    Free Member

epicsteve – what spec/size of shock did you put on there ? I'm considering something similar myself.

alpin
    Free Member

frame…. perhaps made before i was born or at very best when i was little. found it in a bush, stripped it, painted it. built the wheels myself, scavenged parts from here and there.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

My old '99 Heckler dragged out for some fun in the last few days, lastest addition is the forks which were those Tora 318 Air that Wiggle knocked out for about £100ish a few months ago 😀

PiknMix
    Free Member

01 Rockhopper A1 frame, seat post is the only thing left that's stock and when funds permit I will replace it.

P20

99 Cannondale Raven,2005ish Lefty ti. Mix bag of older XTR and newer Hope mono4. Now has RF Deus cranks.

nedrapier

Kiwijohn, who makes that saddle pack? I could have done with one of those at the weekend!

Here's my '99 Generation

Bars aren't as enormous as they look (wide angle lens). Wierdo mudguard is staying on while I play with the shape. (I don't have that many zip ties left!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Show us your… old bike, new(er) build’ is closed to new replies.