Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Show us your lightweight 29ers
  • vondally
    Free Member

Following weighing my full suss 29er intrigued by what weight and builds folks have?
    So go show and tell…. 😀

feisty
    Free Member

Niner Air 9 Carbon SS

Tune/Crest/DT wheels
    Reba RLTs with Xloc upgrade
    Sram carbon cranks, Spiderless ring
    KCNC, Tune bits and bobs

19lbs dead

Have a Niner RDO fork coming that is going to drop me about 2.4-5 lbs on the forks/remote so will be down to 16.5lbs ish 😆

If it wasn’t for teh flint shredding my tyres here I could go to non Snake Skin tyres and get into the hight 15 lb range boooo

Stoner
    Free Member

21.1lbs

Ti 29er
    Ti Jeff Jones forks
    Ti Van Nic post
    Middleburn
    XTR M965 hubs/Stans/Rocket Rons

paul-n
    Free Member

That Niner if very nice ! How does it ride ?

feisty
    Free Member

hmm I think I need to take some “whoring” shots with a nicer back ground than a pile of crap and some washing 😆

Cheers

Fantastically, the light 1410g wheels pick up instantly and the short chain stay makes her climb brilliantly and adds a touch of 26er liveliness back into the big wheels.

Frickin pricey though, I am still recovering from the shock of the frame, the wheel and new fork cost has yet to even register lol

vondally
    Free Member

the niner is very luvvverrrlllyyyy

danielgroves
    Free Member

What ratios are you guys running? Just trying to gather an idea for the build I’m about to begin.

Stoner
    Free Member

36:20
    But that 36 is a tazzeewonkee
    Am toying with going up a notch.

Gotama
    Free Member

Stoner….how have you got the jones fork set up? Is that a spacer stack on top of the lower clamp to make up for the reduced axle to crown height of the fork? And out if interest why didn’t you just go jones full stop?

feisty
    Free Member

Thanks again, I accidental built her due to an irritating creak in my On One Scandal 29er v2 frame, end up replacing the whole bike bit by bit, now I have two bikes lol

I run 32:18, the same as my 26″ ss was hard going at first but after a few weeks I fly up the hills now and have gained 2-3 mph on my average speed over hilly terrain and do 12-13 mph avg and on flatter rides I do 14.5-15 mph avg (I did 14.5 avg on a century ride last month that I was pleased with)

househusband

And at the other end of the spectrum…

26.6lbs – lightest mountain bike I’ve ever had, but then I am 15st…

Stoner
    Free Member

I have it set up with a fairly low A to C (IIRC 460mm) which works brilliantly with the longer offset of the JJ forks. Handling is great except for not being able to pop the front too easily.

I think I have about 10-15mm of spacers below, and then a few on top with a USE ringo star to take up the slack rather than eff about with shims.

And a JJ space frame is just too spendy, esp when I really like the handling of this build. Its pretty much all I ride now.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok ta. Going to test a jones but fear it’ll be too small so been looking at pairing a fortitude with Jones fork to let me run fat front but the a-c is 10mm longer on the genesis fork. This should let me cover that off though as I didn’t realise you could run the truss like this.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

the headset is two top halves so it can take contact with a spacer from above or below rather than a crown race.

These forks are the older ones though with 100mm OLD so not the fat ones. For a while I really wanted to go for a fat fork, but TBH I love how it rides as it is.

takisawa2

I accidental built her due to an irritating creak in my On One Scandal 29er v2 frame

You accidently built a Niner… 😆

This was no accident, but I think a few sleepless nights are part & parcel of Niner prospective Niner ownership. 🙂

SIR.9
    About 22lb I think.
    Its just ace, but I’ve them uppery-downery forks on these days & its spot on for Summer trail amblingerism.

IMAG0130 by pten2106, on Flickr

vondally
    Free Member

no full suss’s ❓

Gotama
    Free Member

headset is two top halves

Yep, glad you mentioned that or I’d have been scratching my head on crown race fitting if I go this route. 😀

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Kinesis Sync

Kinesis Maxlight Sync Ti 29er by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

Green grips gone now and front mech changed for a top mounted ‘old style’ one for better mud clearance (not that we’ll hopefully need that for a while!).

26lb 3oz

feisty
    Free Member

lol I really did um and ah, I got the frame for £1650 so about £100 cheaper than rrp (it still gave me a few sleepless nights), Charliethebikemonger was very tolerant of my faffing about, although I think he learnt that I eventually just buy the ting I know I want as when I emailed him about the availability of the RDO fork I got an email back saying he could have one out to me this week and provisionally ordered me one and sent me a paypal payment request, that stopped me faffing about 😆

The wheels hit me for about £820 from starbikes but really transformed the ride over the Heavy Hope Stan 355s ones, the forks at £485 represent the biggest £ to lb weight saving but far from cheep

This is the closest I have come to totalling up the build cost think I will stop now 😯

Here is my second “spare” bike that I have now rebuilt out of all the parts, a fatty at 23.5 lbs 😆 spot the same parts (fork is actually a later 2012 tapered one on my A9C, in fact only the brakes, pedals and chain are the same lol)

jonxmack
    Free Member

Comes in at 9.14kg (20.15lb), although admittedly that was weighing every part separately rather than as a full bike, and it has 40mm of spacers which I need to get rid of once I’ve settled on a bar height.

Bolt

What frame is that chunky?

Bolt

tazzymtb

nice forks stoner 😀

mine

sub 18lb of carbon and scandiyummy, awesome goldtec SS hubs, and more string and glue than an episode of art attack. Still fine for treating ruff as well. did go lighter but it all got a bit “flighty”

now gone on to new pastures and been replaced with this

which is lardy at a smidge under 22lbs but god it’s soooo much fun

radoggair
    Free Member

590 by Radoggair, on Flickr

scott scale 29er 900sl.

589 by Radoggair, on Flickr
    and how much she weighs.

ratherbeintobago

feisty – what size is that Air 9?

Moda
    Free Member

Mine are being revamped – will have a sub 19lb geared hard tail and a 21lb FS next week, both large frames and yes my scales do work 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    nice forks stoner

mine

Not any more, sunshine 😛

tazzymtb

lol, no I meant the bikes you buffoon
    😛

singlespeedstu

nice forks stoner

Nice fork Tazzy. 😆

Oh and nice Sheepy too. 😉

andyl46
    Free Member

10kg, depending on build. X0, carbon wheels, great bike.

nikk
    Free Member

SC Highball. Not the lightest frame in the world, but got it to an estimated 10.2kg (22.5 lbs) with reasonably light components. Probably gonna get XX1 cranks for running lower gearing / less weight / more bling. If I singlespeeded it (gonna happen for the winter) and put on rigid forks (probably not gonna happen) I’d loose about 1.5kg I think.

Love the Niner stuff and the Ti stuff. Had a lot of other frames considered, came down to Niner or SC, but happy with SC as it seems to be more of a trail bike than a pure XC bike.

tazzymtb

big kisses to multi speed stu 😀

singlespeedstu

At least you’ve not bolted any tat to the Sheep.
    Which is more than can be said for the truss fork. 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

slutty, slutty, forks.

feisty
    Free Member

feisty – what size is that Air 9?

It is a medium 17″, my Scandal is an 18″ and other than the chain stays being 17mm shorter on the A9C they are the same Geo, the AC9 just has a curved top tube so a shorter seat tube length so needs a 400mm post. I am only 5’8-9″ but have a shorter body so run a 60mm stem and find the fit fantastic

I am happy to be a shortish as I think the small/medium frames look far more balanced, the larger A9C frames look a bit off to me as the top tube/seat stay curve is to pronounced and on the small / frame it is too straight

bikebouy
    Free Member

Here’s my Bouy…

[/url] Untitled by bikebouy, on Flickr[/img]

feisty
    Free Member

Some more pics of spangly bits, the Tune 15mm QR was another stupid expensive purchase but crazy light

Have found some red R1 brakes to replace teh RXs but with hardly any weight saving it is a bit pricey

Andy

Ah go on then

SS Pegasus 21lbs

On One Lynskey 24lbs

KevinPP
    Free Member

SAM_4491 by Kevaroo, on Flickr

18lbs and rides very nicely with the Niner forks.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Bolt – Member

What frame is that chunky?

Bolt

I decided I didn’t want Niner, Scott, Specialized etc to charge me another £1000 to put some stickers on 😮

It’s just a Chinese jobby, superb to ride. Quality is amazing and better than some of the wonky badly finished named brands I’ve had.

(It’s a Carbonal Avenger frame, same company as the one above)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Show us your lightweight 29ers’ is closed to new replies.