Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Show us your fugly bikes
  • steveoath
    Free Member

The wife reckons my new build is fugly. I like it. Built mostly from ebay and classifieds.

So show me your “fugly” bikes that you love!!

wwaswas

I suspect no one ever loved this one;

steveoath
    Free Member

WOW wwaswas 😯

wwaswas

see, yours looks much better now 🙂

Kato

My old Preston. A face only it’s mother could like

manitou
    Free Member

I haven’t got one, but surely any full sus Giant fits the bill with their bendy downtube/bottom bracket interface…

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Preston – My old Preston. A face only it’s mother could like

Never seen anything like that before, what’s it like to ride?

Kato

That was from about 2005. Rode really nice but it was a bit of an acquired taste as the forks moved backwards in a sort of J path, rather than up-down like a regular telescopic

plyphon
    Free Member

Google “29er”

Kato

Ah those old 4 pot XT brakes were awesome too

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

That was from about 2005. Rode really nice but it was a bit of an acquired taste as the forks moved backwards in a sort of J path, rather than up-down like a regular telescopic

Unusual! Can’t really picture how that’d work.

How was it on steep stuff? The uprights on the fork make it look like it would be hard work.

tenfoot

Still going strong and great for XC rides. Not pretty though.

misterlee
    Free Member

Sintesi bromont

tazzymtb

Google “29er”

i did and it cam up with this

yep I’ll take that kind of ugly..now troll off little troll boy from trollville

deviant
    Free Member

The Preston has a similar setup to the front suspension design of BMW motorbikes, its called a Hossack front end isnt it?
    Supposed to be able to seperate braking and steering forces far better than telescopic forks, the morobikes are supposed to experience far less initial dive when applying the front brakes, takes some getting used to, most people report a remote feeling with telescopic forks provided more feedback.
    That said, BMW bikes always perform well in braking tests so it must have some merits.

ononeorange

No road bikes yet?!!

Kato

How was it on steep stuff? The uprights on the fork make it look like it would be hard work.

The front end stayed quite high, which meant steep stuff was hard work. Plus as the axle moved rearwards first it always felt like it was going to chuck you over the handlebars

seadog101

Tenfoot – You may claim your £5:00 from the cashier.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Those forks are quite fugly tho tazzy.

OCB
    Free Member

2005 Duncon Pitbull 4X.

He retired for a few years and went to live in a box in the bike cave, but somehow seemed to have got himself rebuilt (coincidentally, over August Bank Holiday 2012) and now goes off down the woods / on the track quite often (where he belongs).

tenfoot

Tenfoot – You may claim your £5:00 from the cashier.

Ha ha – thanks. Bought this bike 2nd hand as a temporary replacement for broken spesh ground control fsr. I have since bought a new bike but this ‘beauty’ works well as a bike to ride with the kids, or if I know I won’t be tackling anything steep or technical. Not bad for a 13 yo bike

tomhoward

I always fancied a prst1….

Here’s my (now sold) effort…

image by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Not my picture but have one that still gets ridden. Get many comments about being ugly and also the standard Lefty ones about bits of bike missing.

shifter
    Free Member

Steveoath – there’s nothing wrong with that, apart from the levers. They could do with twisting downwards a bit 🙂

iamroughrider
    Free Member

tomhoward – just out of interest how did you get on with that gt and how did it ride? That looks like a thing of beauty imho 🙂

chainslapp
    Free Member

clubber
    Free Member

amateurs 🙂

tomhoward

IARR, once you had got it up to speed, it handled really well, as all the weight was in the middle of the frame. Plus it was very stable in the air. I’m still convinced by the idea, just not the application in this case, there were too many proprietary bits of kit (20mm axle, fixed rear hub!) the ‘gearbox’ (in reality a nexus 8 hub) was noticeably draggy and as it’s new owner noted, having a constantly moving chain isn’t ideal if/when you crash…

The zerode design IMO is much better.

ska-49
    Free Member

My old Foia has to be up there, especially with the DT forks.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Show us your fugly bikes’ is closed to new replies.