Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • show us your drums
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

spending the redundancy payout already, my new “pro” level drums arrived today.

Crush Chameleon Ash drums, Mapex Armory hardware. Cymbals I already had, Istanbul Mehmet Radiant

just thought I’d share

Android phone doesn’t do justice to the colour, so here’s what it looks like in the Crush Drums catalogue:

dan86
    Free Member

That looks nice!

9 piece Pearl Masterworks here, designed by me, absolutely love it! Has grown since these pics, too.

john_drummer
    Free Member

holy cow I thought I had a lot of cymbals. (in my pics, my china, plash & holey crash are missing as I still don’t have enough stands for them)

you are Terry Bozzio and I claim my £5 😉

tis very nice though, beatiful finish

here’s my other kit:

Odery Fluence 6 piece (two up two down). I think all the cymbals are in this picture.

reason for two kits? two bands, two rehearsal rooms, and I’m not a fan of “house” kits, so rather than constantly moving one kit from one rehearsal room to another, have one in each 🙂

mssansserif
    Free Member

No because it’s a boring Roland electric kit. 🙁

Those up there are awesome looking though. Well played

Edukator
    Free Member

No because it’s a boring Roland electric kit.

That fits in a car, isn’t reasonable grounds for divorce and won’t result in the neighbours keying your car. Even the acoustic guitar is banned in this house except when everyone else is out. I returned to the house yesterday and heard a strange rattling from the shutters. Insulation and triple glazing keep the sound in but the whole house vibrates when junior down-tunes his bass.

epicyclo

🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, they’re not a neighbour-friendly instrument, I’ll grant you that.

both of my kits live at their respective rehearsal rooms. I bring my cymbals & my Black Panther snare drum home after practice. don’t fancy leaving a couple of grand’s worth of easily portable stuff “just lying around”

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s also the logistics of gigs. Two cars gets the band and all their kit to the venue unless there’s a proper drum kit. A Roland fits on the back seat and plugs straight into the PA. The guitar sounds fine with a miked-up Mustang II (though it lacks the number of foot-switch accessible setting of the IV). The bass can also be plugged straight in to the PA if necessary.

Jakester
    Free Member

My Gretsch:

Also have a Premier Artist 10/12/14/16/20 that is my ‘kit share’ kit.

Some other kits I have owned (and sold):

I also had one of these:

I wouldn’t mind a decent Roland – TD30 or so, but I’ve never been able to get on with the lower-end ones.

I also have quite a few snares and cymbals at home. My stuff lives in the mancave (one of the reasons we bought our current house)!

nbt

Excuse the crappy phone pic quality (and the fact that it’s on dropbox so I’m not quite sure if it will work)…

Premier Cabria, natural wood finish, “rock” kit with 24″ bass and bigger toms. Sabian B8 cymbal set with a couple of extras thrown in. Random assortment of dodgy hardware including a replacement Tama tom holder as the original premier holder gave way in the end. Includes a double bass pedal that’s always set up and rarely used

Jakester
    Free Member

John, NBT, some of your pics aren’t showing for me – is it my end?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Mine aren’t showing on my iPad. I think I need to put them on Flickr or something. I can do that when I get back from the gym

nbt

No, mine’s linked from dopbox so I wasn’t sure it would work anyway. I’m not seeing some of John’s either. Will upload another one later, leaving now 🙁

dan86
    Free Member

thanks John,

Love the Odery, I was seriously looking at one of their kits long before they were for sale in the UK, I bought a 10″ snare drum off them and the import on that alone was about £120 , so didn’t bother with the whole kit. Lovely sounding drums and great finishes too 🙂

dan86
    Free Member

Jakester that Gretsch looks great, very clean and tidy kit 😀

john_drummer
    Free Member

Jakester, that Gretsch kit is lovely

mine were linked from dropbox too, so I guess the answer to that is “don’t link to dropbox”

Dan, Odery are now imported by Wembley Drum Centre and also sold by Drumwright. I got mine from Drumwright for about £600 plus delivery, 22×18 undrilled kick, 10, 12 toms, 14 & 16 floor toms, 14×5.5 snare, and the basic hardware pack – kick pedal (very nice), hi-hat, snare stand, one straight & one boom cymbal stand. This is the Fluence range, kind of equivalent to Mapex Meridian (as was), but with maple in the plies for much less than a Mapex Meridian Maple kit.

The Crush kit came from Rockem music in Rotherham, next day delivery. including the bags and the hardware I just spent about £1400 on this one!

anyway, for those who can’t see my original pics, try these instead…

here’s my previous kit, Mapex M-Birch:

and the one before that, a 1989 Pearl Export (my first brand new kit) – sorry it’s a bit grainy but this was at a gig, typical low light conditions, cheap compact camera (film, this was way before digital cameras):

ths size of the hole in the kick drum resonant head amazes me when I look back at it now

john_drummer
    Free Member

Includes a double bass pedal that’s always set up and rarely used

I’ve got one of those too 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

john_drummer
    Free Member

?

sands
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member

?

London slang:

Drum = House / Flat / The place where you live

HTH

john_drummer
    Free Member

Ah, I see

Tom-B
    Free Member

That Gretsch kit is beautiful!!!

Some of you guys have mahoosive kits!!

mssansserif
    Free Member

Oh I’m happy with my kit it’s full mesh pads and let’s me play in a flat, but it’s not pretty.

That crush kit looks amazing, orange and black is like my colour scheme for everything I can.

One day when I get a lot friendly house I will get the real thing.

ads678

Not got any photos to hand, which is good really as you guys make mine look really shit.

I’ve just got a Premier XPK in cherry sunburst. Although it hasn’t been set up for 2 years!! 🙁

john_drummer
    Free Member

You know what to do now then 🙂
    Cherry sunburst sounds nice. Much nicer than my black mapex kit

nbt

The original pic:

In action by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

A clearer view (including the original premier tom holder, now bust):

Major upgrade by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

conkerman
    Free Member

I have an Alesis DM10X kit with some upgrades.

I’m crap so quietness is a blessing.

nbt

Oh, I’ve also got an Alesis DM6 kit set up in the spare room so I can work on new songs at home without annoying the neighbours (he’s considerably bigger than me 🙂 )

john_drummer
    Free Member

I had an Alesis DM6 for a while. didn’t get on with it.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I’m basically Vinny Appice on these things.

gonzy
    Free Member

i have a pair of these…had them for many years but have never got round to learning how to play them…i doubt i ever will either

Jakester
    Free Member

dan86 – Member

Jakester that Gretsch looks great, very clean and tidy kit

john_drummer – Member

Jakester, that Gretsch kit is lovely

Tom B – Member

That Gretsch kit is beautiful!!

Thank you all, ’tis my pride and joy. It’s a 1980’s USA, and belonged to a former theatre drummer who’d added loads of extra stuff like mounts and tom holders for pit gigs. I drove down to London and picked it up and then dropped it with renowned Gretsch expert Eddie Ryan, who plugged up the extra holes, redid the bearing edges and generally tidied it up.

I have 8″ and 13″ toms for it that aren’t pictured – rare I’d get the chance to set the entire thing up!

sands – Member
    London slang:

Is it? Never heard that when I lived there!

ads678

This is the same as mine. Garage will be sorted by summer so should be able to get it set up again. The neighbors will be pleased!! 😀

[/url]Premier XPK Cherry Sunburst by Adam Branston, on Flickr[/img]

sands
    Free Member

Jakester – Member

sands – Member
    London slang:

Is it? Never heard that when I lived there!

Then I imagine that you also did not grow up watching ‘The Sweeney’ or any of Dennis Waterman’s fine (and varied) body of televisual drama ‘Stay Lucky you Cockney Minder’. 😀

The word “drum” to describe a home came about long before the style of music drum and bass. It’s a great example of Reattachment – where a slang expression (not necessarily rhyming slang) gets reattached to a more modern phrase.

The word drum was originally used to describe a room or prison cell or even a road. It then became confined to only mean the home. Finally this was rhymed with Drum and Bass giving its modern interpretation.

Reference

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yes, that cherry sunburst is nice

Harris
    Free Member

This kit belongs to my friend. USA Rogers, Red Onyx. Late 1960’s.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Nice.

My very first kit was a mix of old Olympic kick, snare and rack Tom, and a 14×12 marching snare, de-snared and with added legs, for a floor Tom.
    The cymbal stands, at best, were converted music stands so didn’t take much persuading to fall over/collapse

The Odery kit is my sixth, Crush kit my seventh, if I include the Alesis DM6

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘show us your drums’ is closed to new replies.