Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Show us your bling singlespeeds
  • adampridmore
    Free Member

My beautiful Kona Band Wagon:
    Before
    After a car pulled out

Need to find some new orange rims and a fork.

robidoo
    Free Member

Plus one
    you mind saying how much for the frame and forks, looks great.

plus-one

Not at all

$399 frameset
    $99 shipping

Seatpost was $50-60 can’t remember 🙁

Luckily no customs charge 🙂

I know there are some frames cheaper but for the money the quality/finish and detail are spot on..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    curiousyellow
    Free Member

@haggis1978 @Duffer Yup! Feels stupidly light and I’ve not even tried to build it light.

Going to ride it a bit more if work’s not too busy today. It’s quite hard to figure out if the juddering under breaking is because of QR forks, unbedded brake pads on new rotors or just a shitty headset.

Wish someone did a 1 1/8 straight steerer, 15mm QR fork. 9mm QR is useless for someone like me who doesn’t plan on changing wheels in a hurry.

slackalice
    Free Member

Thought I’d add this, my new addition. As to whether or not it’s ‘bling’ enough for this thread? Maybe the green bits? 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

That a la Carte is lovely 😛

Does this count as bling? Well, maybe just the rear cog 😕 (work in progress)

The Hooker is pretty bling in an ‘explosion in a paint factory’ kinda way (must be, it has gold bits 😛 )

ajantom

Understated bling….

IF deluxe, Pace RC30, Hope Ti hubs, Middleburn RS8 uno cranks, USE carbon bars and post, old school Flite saddle, XT levers and Vs.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

What’s the deal with Middleburns? Is there any advantage over running XT cranks, or is it just for the niche/blingness?

ssboggy

What’s the deal with Middleburns? Is there any advantage over running XT cranks, or is it just for the niche/blingness?

Just the niche/blingness factor 😀
    Oh and the fact you can run a proper bottom bracket (square taper) that doesn’t require changing every few months, and also the Uno ring mounts direct to the crank for a neater look

Heres my ss with Middleburn cranks and Uno ring obviously

tazzymtb

Middleburns, wi or pauls components cranks all use taper bb which last years longer than most externall bb gubbins (even if the frame has been faced) it tends to go with build it once and ride it to death ethos of most single speeders rathet than the anal faffage that comes with replacing bearings, bushings cables and all the associated gear clunge that comes with having a bike for the weak of limbed

ajantom

Yup, Middleburns + square taper will outlive most other crankset/BB combos.

On my other SS (a Surly Krampus) I’m running a Truvativ Howitzer BB and Hussefelt cranks. They’re designed for DH use, and are a cross between Isis and external bearings. Heavy, but bombproof. The BB is still going strong after 4 years and 3 bikes – time that includes the wet summer of 2012 and the ‘moist’ winter we’ve just had.

…..of course having said that, it’ll die next week now 😆

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Will it fit a pushfit BB?

tazzymtb

fence not mine, garden not mine, only spare time is for bikes…so i don’t care about any “fence needs sorting” comments 😛

ajantom

You can get adaptors to fit a normal size BB in push fit BB shells…

Adaptor on CRC

tazzymtb

or you can get and EBB to fit pushfit BB shells and make it all pretty and SS

wonnyj
    Free Member

That green Jones on p1 is the winner for me

scratchadelic
    Free Member

scratchadelic
    Free Member

Not the most bling but a sprinkling of Hope etc as bits wear out. I find the 760mm wide bars great for throwing the bike around singletrack. The frame is an On-One Scandal 29er V2. The frame’s previous owner is the frame’s designer, ex-On-One SS guru Steve Olsen. He also designed their Whippet and Lurcher. I ride with him regularly and he has nearly finished his new design; a belt drive Reynolds 953/ 931 machine. He should have it completed in time for our SS team entry to the annual CF charity ride from Ditchling Beacon to Seaford via the South Downs Way in the end of April.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Sadly I used to wipe out square tapers on my singlespeed. I used Ti ones, like Hope and Raceface. The bearings just couldn’t put up with the tonnage above them. A syncros one lasted. Was steel and weighed a tonne. The Phils one also lasted but weighed 2 tonnes but they kept coming undone, so I went HT2 with a King BB and Jones Deore cranks and never looked back. Just getting the camera out for mine.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My Pipedream Modro. EBB. Phils hubs, which are just lovely. WI freehub, which just works unlike the Hope(less) hubs I had previously. On One carbon rigids. Hope Mono brakes. Its just great.

Not the best piccies as the sun is a bit low, but you get the idea.

bigblackshed

I don’t get the HTII BB is rubbish comments TBH. Hope and Race Face BBs with Race Face cranks on various bikes for numerous years. I can’t break them and I’m brutal as hell and weigh a ton.

Truvativ and GXP on the other hand……..

biff

Fugly bling but has worked for me – since 2006 . . .

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I have learned things.

I have a Renthal on hope BB & HT2 cranks.

I am all wrong. I feel cheated. Out of the club.

Square taper Middleburn on the next build then.

Edit: Bearing in mind my current issue is chain-stretch and chaintug woes but it’ll be reet.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Fresh from a bit of pimping up in the shed.

New lightweight Bushnell eccentric.
    New Hope external BB.
    New Middleburn RS8 X type cranks with Uno ring/spider.
    New rims built onto existing King hubs.
    New tyres setup tubeless.

scandal42
    Free Member

Not exactly bling (hope hoops, fsa SLK stem and seat post) but I finished my ss build, first bike build entirely by myself.

Had a very quick blast last night and she rides very nice, the 32/17 gearing will take a bit of getting used to around here though.

nedrapier

Dekerf Generation, salsa cromotos, Wonkey ring, Philcentric BB, XT, Hone cranks with the “H” colouried in with black pen, DT 240s on Arch EX, King, carbon fibre (!) headset spacers, Answer 20/20 bars, sparkly green paint with a yellow top coat that doesn’t really come across in the photos. Pewter headbadge (plan is to copper plate and polish down the logo back to pewter, but I’ve gone for more black pen for now!) Record No.4 bike stand. Grass, daffs, etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Re: middleburns and square tapers

Might have been true that some HT11 BB’s lasted 5 minues when they first appeared, but the bad ones seem to have died off, and they now seem to last an acceptabel ammount of time.

Especialy when you considder you couldn’t get a UN52 BB for less than about £18 in 90’s money, now you can get XTR BB’s for less.

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Show us your bling singlespeeds’ is closed to new replies.