Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • show us the steepest gradient you or anyone you know has ridden down !
  • kaiser
    Free Member

and how did it feel ?
    We have a cliff drop at haldon (nr Exeter) and when I look down my brain just says no way!

DrP

The ‘drop’ rolling into the (now closed) north shore section??

Just do it – it’s not that steep!

As for the steepest – can’t get much more that vertical i suppose…

DrP

Smee
    Free Member

There is a nice 20fter vertical drop hidden at Inners.

RealMan
    Free Member

Bit general here. Ive ridden down a gradient of infinity. I think most people have. But because its only for a meter or so, it doesnt really feel like it.

This looks pretty steep, and long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtxhRu7-JGE

GeForceJunky

I prefer to jump off cliffs, rather than ride down them … http://video.mpora.com/watch/laz0SSlb8/

I’m the first guy in the red helmet 🙂 25ft ish 🙂

househusband

There is a nice 20fter vertical drop hidden at Inners.

Is that the one that comes onto fireroad?

Smee
    Free Member

No. That one is also interesting though

grumm
    Free Member

I’m the first guy in the red helmet

Respect! Wish I had the balls to do that.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever gone down one steeper than the one onto the fireroad at Innerleithen.

roundwheels
    Free Member

There is a nice 20fter vertical drop hidden at Inners. i take it by the hidden part meant it was an accident like mine at gt when we went of piste and fell 10ft although i did catch my bike when i landed 😐

roundwheels
    Free Member

i did go down the the dh at fortbill a couple of year ago on a 6″ trail bike the resemblance of a koala bear hugging a tree springs to mind

Smee
    Free Member

I would never ride any of them, but they are there and have tyre marks on them. There is also a huge one in Elibank that folk have ridden.

singlespeedstu

Jumping a drop is arguably easier than riding it.

I’ve seen a mate ride down the side of a local quarry.

The tyre tracks looked like they went steep, vertical, disappeard(past vertical)vertical, steep, transition.

He wasn’t keen to try it again.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ridden into the local dissused quarry, that was fkkin scary!

Do quaters at skateparks count? They’r vertical by definition.

Houns

Watched a mate ride down a extremely steep side of Norton Covert (for those that know it it was on the side that the houses back onto toward the graveyard end)

jimmy

On the ground, we used to ride the quarry at Stone Edge in Chesterfield back in t’ day on full rigids. Always sticks in my mind as the diciest steep stuff I’ve done because it was very steep and rough and if you binned it you’d not be able to stop yourself scraping down to the bottom.

Biggest drop was in Whistler, guess around 15ft, halfway down A-line off a big boulder.

Tracey

Abigale at a local quarry

Tracey

mikey74
    Free Member

There is a section of a trail at Whistler called “the Manager” (think it is off Original Sin, or maybe Duffman) that is literally a vertical cliff that you ride down (probably about 15ft high), with a wooden transition at the bottom that then spits you, at high speed, onto another ladder bridge at right angles – nuts. I haven’t ridden it but I saw someone who did – wow.

jedi

i am leaening to ride vert at corby.riding in a vert ramp is pretty easy.
    more can go wrong doing drops imo.

i do prefer launching drops too obviously 🙂

lo at how close the tranny was in that vid 🙂 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Big thread on the same topic with some crazy pics on it here

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1789855

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

nickc

Nutter 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

8)

looking closer at that pic i can’t believe how close my C.O.G must have been to passing the front axle

1st day of the holiday as well

they took the video down off youtube due to music copyright but safe to say the run out wasn’t particularly neatly done

Olly
    Free Member

as long as the run in and run out is clear i reckon i would ride anything :s

ive got a “super rad” picture of me riding down a retaining wall on my front wheel, its “rad to the maxx” (but its on facebook so i cant get it while im at work)

peachos
    Free Member

michaelwright is that you? that’s nuts mate!

there’s a quarry nearby that we sometimes go playing in – have spotted a vert section with a tranny at the bottom (about 15ft). needs to be cut away a little as there’s a bit of an overhang towards the end but it can and will be conquered!!

MrAgreeable

I see you’re not wearing the wifebeater in that photo in case your lily-white arms gets scratched and you can’t wear your halterneck to the disco.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yup that’s me, not the silliest thing i did on that holiday either. i got so RAD that i scared myself back to road riding for a few months. big bike hasn’t been out since that holiday (a year)

Mr A – got to have the right tan for the whistler bars

richc
    Free Member

bushpiloting pictures generally scare me. 1/2 the stuff looks like it should end in casualty.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that’s a lot less scary than some of the stuff on La Varda (SP) Rich

richc
    Free Member

great, more stuff that I couldn’t even walk down 😉 do you go riding with ropes?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Whistler has LOTS of properly steep rock rolls. That said the rock is really grippy, so you can maintain quite a lot of control down them

Filthy Ape is pretty intimidating

JonEdwards
    Free Member

that’s a lot less scary than some of the stuff on La Varda (SP) Rich

La Varda? as in Les Arcs? What a f’kin awesome trail that is. Solid balls out technicality. Loved it. Only a couple of dabs. 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

me too, did it the first day as we were so awesome then on the last day of the second week which was a great gauge of progression. man that place rocks.

someone lend me a grand so i can go back 🙁

JonEdwards
    Free Member

someone lend me a grand so i can go back

Sorry mate – I’m fresh out of cash. Spent it all on a holiday somewhere… 😉

Doing it first day must have been interesting. Nothing like a gentl warm up. Maybe Ash was just trying to get rid of you over the cliff. (although I guess we did it on our second day). I guess that means you’ve not done Poundstretcher then? Over the othe side in the woods. Completely different, but equally mental – like a techical vesion of Doubleheader…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yeah think so, comes out at the track below the goat shed?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Papped mesen

grumm
    Free Member

Errr… Photoshop?

richc
    Free Member

unless trees grow at an angle yes, but still dam steep.

MrAgreeable

New spirit level for Ourkidsam! 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

isn’t that Elbry?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘show us the steepest gradient you or anyone you know has ridden down !’ is closed to new replies.