• This topic has 44 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Show me yours- The joy of owning a £45 pub/rat bike
  • hora
    Free Member

The freedom of being able to ride a bike, not care if it slides down the wall, if it slides down your leg and jars along the floor, lock it anywhere and not care, leave it anywhere with joyous abandon, never wash it and still ride it and feel relaxed and happy.

Love it- no need to drive the car on a cold start/short journey, look for parking.

Bregante

Do I hear any advance on a month? 🙂

Drac

😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

In Chorlton last night I was told to take the lights off as apparently people steal them 😯

v666ern
    Free Member

feel relaxed and happy – that’ll be the beer

im going 3 months til its in the classifieds or he changes the forks to make it ‘one of a kind’ 🙂

hora
    Free Member

At £45 you’d be better sticking it in the canal for the hassle. Or selling it to a yooth to be used as a drug bike.

binners

Yoofs don’t ‘buy’ drug bikes. They take them.

Here’s my old pub bike

scaredypants

Do I hear any advance on a month?

I lolled !

head angle looks pretty steep – thought about an angleset ?

oliverracing

binners- those forks on a pub bike, they’ve got to be worth at least £90 (or that’s what I sold mine for!)

tomd
    Free Member

That’s quite fancy for a rat bike, I’d give it less than a month.

– Recognisable brand
    – Doesn’t look like it’s been in the canal
    – Knobbly tyres

These will all attract the scrotes.

I had a late 80s vintage Raleigh Ascender as my last hack bike:

It was properly rotten and covered in reflective tape. Zero nicakbility as it alienated the youth market and the hipsters completely. Gave up locking it up at home and work and it never got touched.

binners

oliverracing – others may use the word retro, I prefer the phrase ‘old stuff gathering dust in the corner of the garage’. And that’s the first rule of the hack bike. No money must be spent, except in extreme emergencies 😀

hora
    Free Member

I’ll get some mixed-colour tape and get the frame taped up badly.

weeksy

The local pub is 20m, the nearest town is 9 miles… I don’t have a pub bike.

allthepies
    Free Member

A pub bike wot I encountered at the local train station

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KANK1xjPqAA[/video]

hora
    Free Member

The local pub is 20m, the nearest town is 9 miles… I don’t have a pub bike.

The Gym is 1.2miles from my house and the pub 1.1miles. Work is 700metres, supermarket 700metres. It seems pointless putting wear on the engine for me.

I used to walk to the supermarket but its soo utterly dull walking there.

D0NK

simon_g

How is it in crosswinds?

I put this together years ago, I think the weird proportions put off most potential thieves. Currently rusting away in a mate’s basement, ought to get it back at some point.

fionap

Funny this thread should appear – I’ve been looking on ebay this morning for something I can tie up and leave outside the shops/gym. It’s amazing the things that come up when you search for a “bike” for less then £50 within a certain distance. About half of them appear to be nicked and the rest are canal jobs.

kudos100
    Free Member

If anyone is looking for a pub bike in the south I have one for sale 😀

Diamond back ascent ex from 95′. Slicks, 7 speed, silly long stem and riser bars.

tomd
    Free Member

Junk shops & car boot sales are s good shout of you’re looking for a sub £50 rat bike. The Ascender I got was out of a junk shop, the guy bought job lots from police auctions.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

1993 Raleigh Apex in dusky pinkle. Reynolds ‘K2’ tubing (think is octagonal internally to give extra weight and klunk)

Much like that Ascender except super ugly with a big silver extender stem rammed into the headtube for extra sit-up-beggy-ness.

I call it the ‘ape’ as the ‘x’ has rubbed off. I’m clever at spotting obscure things like that.

Am toying with the idea of drop bars

huws
    Free Member

my allotment rat

IHN

All these supposedly ratty bikes are very clean..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Weeeeeee!

You can’t see the 1 inch wobble in the rear rim or hear the grind of the freehub. Soon to be fixed though. Just over 9KG of fun.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My £20 road bike after a couple of upgrades.

I now just use it for bumbing around.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/frx2xa]Untitled[/url] by i_ache, on Flickr

red17
    Free Member

My rusty old Daewoo – lived in the garden for a few years till I resurrected it recently

v666ern
    Free Member

eddiebaby

if your selling £50? or gtfo! 😆

matts
    Free Member

Here’s my old pub bike

Is that a Zaskar with RC36 Pro forks? 😯

eddiebaby
    Free Member

v666ern – Member
    eddiebaby

if your selling £50? or gtfo!

Ebay clunker I massively talked the guy down on pointing out all the errors like the rear wheel kink and loose spokes and the rear brake being locked solid, the EBB being installed the wrong way round etc.
    Seems he didn’t know what he had, and as the seat was slammed right down (and obviously had been there a long time) and he was over 6ft6″ I suspect it wasnt his bike.
    By that I don’t mean stolen -he was living in a nice house with a decent enough car to be not the kind of guy who nicks ratty bikes.
    Now who wants to sell me a new rear wheel?

igm

1993 Kona Hahanna – £50 of that there eBay.

Rides like a Kona, costs like two taxi fares

binners

Its a 1999 GT Timberline. Ovalised Reynolds 525 tubing. The (very tatty) frame cost me the princely sum of 11 quid off fleabay. I stripped and powder coated it, then built it up with whatever was in the shed (including the Pace forks). I think I actually paid for a new headset, and cheap Firex cranks. So came in at well under 100 squid including the powder coating. It did turn out a lot nicer than expected, and ended up getting more use (commuted on it every day) than either of my ‘proper’ bikes

cp

Here’s mine, had it since new, it’s been to NZ and toured Germany. It snapped, it got fixed. Now it’s the daily commuter, shopper, pub etc…. Been through many incarnations!

Often looks like this:-

EDIT

rear wheel is original 1995 Kona Lava Done (STX hub on some Mavic rim). The hub has NEVER been touched and it still spins super smoothly. Front wheel is from a 2001 Scott Strike, very light weight with DT Rev spokes. Can’t break or bend it!

matt_outandabout

Mine was free, dumped in the bushes at local supermarket petrol station in Stirling. 8)
    It is sooo old, I cant find a pic.

Stainypants

i’m gutted i just missed out on a £50 disc braked boardman hybrid. would have been the perfect pub/winter night road/commuter.

Stainypants

i’m gutted i just missed out on a £50 disc braked boardman hybrid. would have been the perfect pub/winter night road/commuter.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Most came from the parts bin and Freecycle, the rest came from trading parts, or 99p bargains on eBay. The wheels I built for about 75 quid and the only thing that I dug extra into my pockets for, so a little bit over the 45 quid.

Bregante

elliott-20 wins.

Lovely

elliott-20
    Free Member

elliott-20 wins.

Lovely

Awww fanx 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

This was a tenner – worth that for the extremely loud horn alone 😀

Looks crap but it’s actually quite nice to ride. I still plan on getting a quill adaptor so I can put a longer stem/wider bars on it. I don’t really ride it much unless the weather’s crap. It has an orange charge saddle now as well. Tbh I just like it because it’s pretty much the same as my first ever “proper” bike when I was about 10 or something, it’s a Raleigh.

eddie11
    Free Member

That horn might not be as loud if you didn’t point it at yourself 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Show me yours- The joy of owning a £45 pub/rat bike’ is closed to new replies.