Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Show me your……….Espresso / Grinder Set-Up
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

Thanks for the explanation

Looks at Bank Balance and brings out Moka 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

🙂

With a bit of effort you can get a nice coffee from a Moka pot, it’s just a different drink to an espresso.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Normally manage to produce a coffee with a decent creme.

Just to keep the debate going, isn’t a Moka the original espresso maker? (invented by Luigi De Ponti who made the news recently when he died)

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Takes me 10 seconds to knock the portafilter coffee cake out after a pour…Then a little wipe of the group head. Done…Once every 5-6 weeks descale. Put descaler (citric acid) in and leave 20 mins and then knock a few empty cups out.. Once in a blue moon back flush… Not really a hassle at all. Cleaning my french press cafetiere is more of a ball ache..

Moka pot tastes nothing like as good as proper pressurised Espresso extraction. I wish it did! I could have a lot more money in my bank! Plus I always forget to turn the gas hob off and that has its own pitfalls the least being a Moka pot that looks like the terminator.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just to keep the debate going, isn’t a Moka the original espresso maker? (invented by Luigi De Ponti who made the news recently when he died)

No idea! But from the Espresso page on Wikipedia…

Angelo Moriondo’s Italian patent for a steam-driven “instantaneous” coffee beverage making device, which was registered in Turin in 1884 (No. 33/256), is notable.

In 1905, the patent was bought by Desiderio Pavoni, who founded the “La Pavoni” company and began to produce the machine industrially (one a day) in a small workshop in Via Parini in Milan.

And for the Moka pot…

It was patented for the first time in Italy by the inventor Luigi De Ponti for Alfonso Bialetti, in 1933

So it looks like (at least in terms of patent) that a pressurised espresso machine pre-dates the moka pot.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Good work mrblobby!

As it’s now the afternoon I’ve now switched to drinking tea. My Moka will be out again in the morning, but can I love it the same again?! 😀

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Kitchen’s done so after a three year wait, finally managed to get the coffee machine ordered.

Being an amateur home barista is certainly not as easy as it looks!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like that a lot.

chewkw
    Free Member

Mine are:
    Gaggia Classic with Rancilio Silvia V2 steam wand mod. You can also do a V3 steam wand mod like this

Anfim Super Best grinder.

Eureka Mignon MKII grinder.

🙂

bear-uk
    Free Member

Sage Duo and a Sage pro grinder for me. Hardly touch them maintainance wise.

Sandwich

Rocky and Silvia here. To avoid descaling too often I use a Maxtra filter jug for all the water. (The kettle is 5 years old and hasn’t needed a descale yet, the previous kettle without filter died in 18 months).

NZCol

Rocket owner here too, had it for 6 years. Did a load of barista training once upon a time and had machine set up properly -pressure, group head etc. Works perfectly. It you have to experiment with grinds on new coffees. I have a couple of go to ones that I know produce lovely coffee so tend to just use them. Never, never drink takeaway coffee now for over 2 years as they are all bloody awful.

wwaswas

k-sugden
    Free Member

Here’s mine Isomac tea and Mahlkinig Pro M grinder

doorag
    Free Member

I have a Rancilio Silvia with the Rocky grinder. It’s a struggle! Never got proper espresso out of her and i blame the grinder. Do SIlvia owners agree here?
    I cut the bottom of the portafilter out to see how the extractions were doing, and it’s the same every time; channelling!
    Cannot stop the channelling. If i go any finer on the grind it chokes. The grinds come out in clumps and i have to stir them up and get it as even in the basket as i can, then just hope for the best. Just seems to pull too quickly and rush through giving me a harsh, sour but very weak tasting filthyness. It’s horrendous.
    I bought it in 2012 and gave up probably 2014. I fitted a gauge and set the pressure to 9 bar etc. I temp surf…..
    First world nightmare.
    I just use an Aeropress now. I also have a pour over and that tastes amazing so i was considering selling the espresso gear and buying the full Hario setup with hand grinder.

ransos
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a budget burr grinder that is worth using? My Dualit’s plastic adjuster has cracked and I can no longer get it fine enough for espresso in my Gaggia classic.

Sandwich

@doorag. Are you using supermarket beans or ones from a roaster mail order/local to you?
    My machine won’t produce a cream with supermarket beans, I drank so much one morning there were shakes and palpitations, nothing would work.
    Filtered water helps if you are in a hard water area.
    The screen and water spreader are prone to clogging up, new screen and polypuf cleaning solution should sort that out. Don’t overfill the filter to avoid it in future.
    Apologies if this is teaching granny to suck eggs.

doorag
    Free Member

@sandwich
    Haha. I hear you on the not feeling so good.
    Deifinitely ruled the bad beans already. Water is soft here but full of chlorine. I actually think hard water makes a better brew – tea or coffee.
    I was meaning to buy a bigger basket at one point (21g). The standard one isn’t deep enough to tamp 14g before the tamp fouls the sides (58mm tamp).
    It’s the channelling that stops the water hitting all the grinds and extracting that goodness, resulting in foulness.
    Are you using the Rocky? If so, are you around the 5 mark?

mefty
    Free Member

Pavoni Grinder, Pavoni coffee machine, the latter is nearly 20, the former a few years younger.

stevenieve
    Free Member

R58 to go with Olympus 75E grinder.

doorag
    Free Member

Plenty of E61 vibes here. Gits!

chewkw
    Free Member

Some nice machines you lot have.

If I have a nice kitchen or big enough space I would like to have an Elektra T1 Sixties or an ECM …

sbob
    Free Member

Takes up a lot of space but you do get good espresso.

Sandwich

Rocky set at 7 or 8. I’m using Wogan beans. Standard 2 shot basket with after market tamper. Sounds like you might have an undersized basket. Happy Donkey do oem Rancilio spares.

redmex
    Free Member

My grinder is an Iberital over two feet tall bought on ebay and postage from London cost more than i paid for it, it wakens folk up at 630 am when i fire it up
    A Gaggia classic and baby my two machines and in the cupboard a bean to cup temperamental de longhi

sbob
    Free Member

redmex – Member

My grinder is an Iberital over two feet tall

Likewise!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Show me your……….Espresso / Grinder Set-Up’ is closed to new replies.