Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • show me youre 1×11 setup with weights
  • DanW
    Free Member

factual without pedals

My bike is about 6.5kg without forks, saddle or seatpost 😉

Only cure for the criticism is a scale shot (Park/ Alpine/ other decent non-ebay £5 scale) with the bike as ridden. If you ride with ton of heli-tape/ Garmin/ lights/ whatever that should be included IMO

I’ll post up my Scalpel when I get pics (XX1 and some nice modifications to drop the weight of the stock groupset).

generallevi
    Free Member

@Rik

Weighed with a calibrated Park Tools scale. Your probably thinking that those Enves weigh a lot less than my Crossmax wheels but there is only 100g in it. Also, why couldn’t I get a rune under 30lbs when the designer Keith Scott speaks openly that he has seen them down a 27lbs with a lightweight build?

I am not a liar mate. You will find most runes around the 31lbs mark but this one has carbon bars, xx1, light wheelset and xo trails.

If anything the Santa Cruz should be closer to 26lbs.

Rik
    Free Member

Enve quote them being 200g difference to mavic
    Frame, chainset, shock, saddle, brakes, tyres etc etc are all lighter than your bike. So one of the bikes bike has been weighed wrong.

generallevi
    Free Member

@Rik

How do you know that’s it’s 200g when you don’t even know what hubs he’s running?

At the end of the day, I know how much my bike weighs. I don’t know why you should be so shocked that an aluminium framed bike can dip just under 30lbs with an xx1 build and decent wheels.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

generallevi – Member

@Rik

How do you know that’s it’s 200g when you don’t even know what hubs he’s running?
    Enve kit is a standard option on the SC and their Mavic on Mavic hubs. (from the pic)

generallevi
    Free Member

@mikewsmith
    I know they are Mavic on Mavic dude as it’s my bike! My point is depending on what hubs that Santa Cruz has will have an effect on the overall difference between the two wheel sets. As durable as king are they are a lot heavier than a DT Swiss build, for example

generallevi
    Free Member

Taken directly from the Enve website:

WEIGHT: KING ISO*
    1602g
    WEIGHT: DT 180*
    1420g
    WEIGHT: DT 240 15mm/142*
    1515g

Weights taken from Mavic website:
    Weight : 1660 grams (pair of wheel)

So if your man is running his Enve’s with King then as I said there’s less that 100g in it, well 58 actually. Not bad considering you could get three pairs of mavics for the price of 1 pair of Enves. They do look mega though! 😉

amplebrew

Here are my two, I’ve got no idea how much they weight though….

IMG_0076 by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

IMG_0040 by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

c_klein87

not usually jealous of bikes on here, but that jones is magnificent! will get one eventually!

bomberman
    Free Member

I’m sure you all know manufacturer weights are optimistic at best and a complete lie at worst. Time after time i’ve weighed something and it’s been over the quoted manufacturer weight, often by a fair bit. For example RS quotes a 2011 Revelation RLT Ti (dual air) as 1636g. When i got mine the steerer had been cut and it weighed 1800g on the nose.

So by the time you’ve added up the (optimistic) manufacturer weights of all your parts you’ll have a bike that on paper weighs at least a few hundred grams, maybe an entire pound, less than it actually does.

Or didn’t you realise you were being lied to?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So by the time you’ve added up the (optimistic) manufacturer weights of all your parts you’ll have a bike that on paper weighs at least a few hundred grams, maybe an entire pound, less than it actually does.

I must have picked better parts and spec lists 🙂 I planned my last build that way and there was 300g difference which went down for cables and some other misc bits.

bomberman
    Free Member

I must have picked better parts and spec lists

You must have the bestest specced bike ever

honourablegeorge

Santa Cruz quote 5.3lbs for a Bronson C frame with Fox CTD

Banshee were quoting 8.5 lbs for a Rune with CCDBa when I was looking to buy one.

100g one way or the other on wheels is small potatoes if there’s a 3.2lb difference in frames. Banshee has heavier wheels, heavier tyres,and heavier cranks. Not sure where the weight savings can be coming from to get it within 1lb of the Bronson

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bomberman – Member

Just the ones that have the right quoted weights, I’m finding most modern stuff quoted properly just there is still some stuff sneaking in – like forks specced with heavier steerers etc.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The Jones is lovely! With I had the beans to make mine xx1.

amplebrew

c_klein87 – Member
    not usually jealous of bikes on here, but that jones is magnificent! will get one eventually!

Thanks, I’m really over the moon with how it turned out.

futon river crossing – Member
    The Jones is lovely! With I had the beans to make mine xx1.

The XX1 on my other bike has been great and I love having a gripshift again. I went with a trigger shifter on the Jones though after getting advice from Jeff.

tomhoward

100g one way or the other on wheels is small potatoes if there’s a 3.2lb difference in frames. Banshee has heavier wheels, heavier tyres,and heavier cranks. Not sure where the weight savings can be coming from to get it within 1lb of the Bronson

Tyres filled with helium.

FACT.

mactheknife

This is my 5 spot, 29.5 Lbs apparently.

honourablegeorge

Like that 5 spot.

bomberman
    Free Member

bomberman – Member

Just the ones that have the right quoted weights, I’m finding most modern stuff quoted properly just there is still some stuff sneaking in – like forks specced with heavier steerers etc.

Really, and how can you tell if a part has the right quoted weight? By looking at it I suppose?

br
    Free Member

I’m sure you all know manufacturer weights are optimistic at best and a complete lie at worst. Time after time i’ve weighed something and it’s been over the quoted manufacturer weight, often by a fair bit.

Rode with a chap that had just picked up a new carbon Whyte 29er FS.

It felt light to pick up. 26.5lbs he said it weighed, according to Whyte.

I suggested he try me Ti HT, “that’s light”, says he “what’s it 22, 23lbs?”

Nope, 26.5lbs on my (Park) scales 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really, and how can you tell if a part has the right quoted weight? By looking at it I suppose?

Mostly by dropping it on some scales… I was making the judgement based on that and having done 3 builds where the sum of the quoted weights added up to the weight of the bike.

bomberman
    Free Member

Mostly by dropping it on some scales… I was making the judgement based on that and having done 3 builds where the sum of the quoted weights added up to the weight of the bike.

Oh so like, equations and stuff?

b r what did his face say? Was he surprised?

generallevi
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge

As iv already said earlier in this thread if anything that Santa Cruz should be coming in lighter, closer to 26lbs than where it is up near 28.

I am not saying that there can’t be more than 1lbs between the two bikes. What I am saying is that I have weighed mine twice, in my mates shop and at home and it’s coming in at 29lbs. My friend is the mechanic at Bike Park Wales and has just build up a rune with an identical spec to mine but in black instead of green and it’s coming in at something like 29.04 or the like. He is on this forum so will get him to put pics up.

I think the edges are getting blurred here. The initial discussion for me in this thread is not the fact that there is just over a pound between the two bikes, that’s open to discussion. It’s the fact that someone called me out and said my measurements are off, which they are not. The bike is under 30lbs. 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If that banshee weighs 29lbs my Enduro must about 26 😉

br
    Free Member

Santa Cruz quote 5.3lbs for a Bronson C frame with Fox CTD

Banshee were quoting 8.5 lbs for a Rune with CCDBa when I was looking to buy one.

It shows how I can get mine down to 26.5lbs with 3×9, big tyres, pedals, dropper, cruds and light-brackets – as my frame is only 3.5lbs. For a 20″. 🙂

generallevi
    Free Member

Thanks B R.

A much heavier Bronson build coming in at 26.5, which shows that this Gucci version up the page has to be even lighter.

And honourablegeorge the frames were redesigned for 2014 and weight was dropped off in several places, according to the designer. Loss was around 1lb so your frame quote of 8.5 lbs only applies to the 2013 frame.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘show me youre 1×11 setup with weights’ is closed to new replies.