Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Show me your…bike cars
  • thebunk

Especially those Zafiras with the snazzy folding seats – or any others where you can put two bikes in without taking the wheels off (that are less than £3.5k)

ta,

thebunk

MrGreedy

Not got any photos, but I have a Zafira and unless you've a very small frame size I think you'll still need to take the front wheel off.

The rearmost seats are flat under the boot floor when not in use, and the second row of seats slides forwards to leave a very good sized load space. I stick one of these boot liners in the back and then sling in as many bikes and as much crap as I like.

My only gripes about the car in general are that the driver's seat on the cheaper models is fairly uncomfortable, and the petrol engines aren't great. I will probably be looking for a higher spec model (diesel, cruise) as a replacement.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Back in the days before Zafiras

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thebunk

Thanks MrGreedy – they are both small hardtails, so it might be alright. I guess I'll have to see if I can try fitting the bikes in – it's so hard to tell from dimensions etc.

Looking at a 1.8 petrol – I know it will be gutless, but I'm guessing that it will still be less rattly and have a few more toys than a van at the same price…

druidh
    Free Member

As above. The Zafira folding seats don't get out of the way enough.

How about a Multipla? You can remove the rear seats completely and you're left with a broad, deep loading space.

petrieboy

wife has a new shape zafira – top spec with powerful diesel engine so quick, comfortable and economical. great car. load area is good, but not as long as something like a Galaxy which is probably what you want if to put two bikes in complete.

ton

transit van here.
    3.5k will see you good off the block.

Kuco

The best bike car I had was a Mercedes A-class take the rear seats out and it was like a van. Bit of a Tardis for a small vehicle it had a lot of room on the inside and very economical to run. Just a shame it was unreliable 🙁

Duc
    Free Member

Seat Alhambra ?

MrGreedy

Don't get me wrong, having to take the front wheels off isn't a deal breaker for me – it's still a superb vehicle for the job. I don't think the 1.8 offers a lot more than the 1.6 petrol though; it's slightly thirstier and a tax band higher too.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I've just gone from an 06 Zafira to the forum favourite passat diesel estate.
    The Zaf has a lot going for it, but the 1.8 I had is horrid, go for a slightly older diesel so you can at least make it up hills fully laden, having to changing down to first to get up a hill is just silly.

HTH.

chiefgrooveguru

Old shape 5-door Honda Civic takes one with both wheels on, possibly two with both wheels on but plenty with one wheel off. Type-S version is surprisingly quick and fun considering the boring looks! Usual Honda reliability etc. Most are driven by old people so few have been ragged.

Simon

Old shape Berlingo Multispace/Peugeot Partner with back seat folded will take two small or medium bikes stood up with wheels on.
    The ones without the Modutop gubbins in the roof are easier to get bikes into.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Berlingo with 60% rear seat down will take 3 bikes with wheels on and 3 people.

Simon

Really, 3 adult bikes? I've managed mine and the kids but not three 26" wheeled bikes.

Northwind

Focus Estate will take 2 bikes with the wheels on, though it's a bit fiddly and easier to do with the front wheels off. Or in fact, with just the front wheels on I know it'll take 4 and I reckon it'd do 5, though 3 of the riders and most of the kit would need to go on a roofrack.

moniex
    Free Member

We bought an o4 zafira (old shape) a year ago and paid 3700. Low miles and 1 owner etc etc. Top of the range diesel with full leather seats (v comfy). We managed the alps a few weeks ago fully loaded with 4 bikes on the roof, 4 people (2 smaller ones) and v full boot incl snowboards. Great car, and it managed all the mountain roads ok. Also comfy during 16 hour drive!

I did find I had to react on the day to ads on autotrader to get the car, otherwise dealers get in there first.

Simone

Xylene
    Free Member

Preparing to be shot down: Merc A Class – they look tiny, but the rear seats come out and they have heaps of room.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Renault Grand Scenic

my wifes child carrier but come the weekend seats all out and voila it's my van 😉

samuri
    Free Member

I have a *LOT* of experience of this. I've driven about a thousand hire cars in the past and each time I've had one, I've tried to get a bike in the boot to take away with me. Plus my own car experiences.

Here we go then.

**** awesome.
    Mondeo – A1 rated!!!!!!!!!
    Audi A4!!! Surprisingly.
    Passat
    Honda accord saloon (this is my current car, I've had three bikes in this one)
    Hyundai mk3 coupe (MASSIVE boot space with the back seats down)
    MK3 Astra (with the seats down you can get 4 bikes in easy.)
    Zafira – I think our record was 5 bikes, 4 people and a load of bags. It's like a Tardis.

Not so good
    Insignia
    New Astra
    New Focus

Damn poor
    All cars made by frenchies, even the peugeot estate was small in the boot area, quite impressive how they managed it to be honest.
    Audi A3
    Golf

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ive managed 3 bikes and 3 people with a hell of a lot of kit in a 07 Focus it was a bit tight in the back but I was fine.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Yeah, my 05 plate Berlingo will definitely take 3 adult 26" wheel bikes with the wheels on and one rear seat still up.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Used to fit two bikes in the Astra estate easily. In the BM they go on the roof. Was hoping for bizarre bike/car hybrid pics…!

locomotive

A Toyota Previa is worth a look, seats can be removed completely or as individual rows. I dont own one but have driven/borrowed a few and have always seem to be able to get loads in

Excellent pic mcmoonter! I remember having a frame bag like that with headset spanners in…

oily
    Free Member

Subaru Legacy estate. Bloody cavernous and 4WD for all those sketchy trail centre carparks 😉

£3.5k will get you one with a pair of turbochargers too, if you're into that sort of thing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not my personal one, but;

Lumping great turbocharged engine, 4WD, superb seats, mahoooooosive boot, excellent stereo system and a bit of a Q-car. Rather fun when next to a boy racer in his Barry Boy motor…! It's rather swift for a big old barge!

hora
    Free Member

Old and sorely missed…

Likeness of current:

simonralli2
    Free Member

Meriva!

Dalbeattie_0075 by simon ralli, on Flickr

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

My avensis has a pretty decent sized back when the seats are down. Not as big as the trusty rusty T4 though. Berlingos and xsara picassos look ok for size and are pretty cheap if you don't mind going French.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I use an old mondeo estate to cart to sportives and Wales. Could have sold it 10 yrs ago but now its knackered.

Even slept in the boot to save cheap BB fee and early start to a sportive as I hate camping in rain!

Conor
    Free Member

Brown Skoda

3 big DH bikes, 3 big DHers, loads of gear, Belfast-Alps return for the last three years.

4WD, 1.8 20v turbo petrol. Rare (as in I've never seen a bronze Octavia 4×4 turbo estate… ever).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bronze? I think it's more "strangely brown".

carbon337
    Free Member

ive got a 55 plate sri 150 diesel – love it as a bike car – stays in van mode most of the time. Will get you a pic with the bike in on Thursday. You need the front wheel off.

Conor
    Free Member

Dog shit brown is my preferred description.

Bat1
    Free Member

Thats a big sponge top!!!

Conor
    Free Member

Borrowed for the day whilst in Co. Kerry! have a mini mal now.

dlongman
    Free Member

OMG how big is that board!!

Mackem

My boring Meriva does the job, a Zafira but smaller.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Show me your…bike cars’ is closed to new replies.