Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Show me your worst mistakes…
  • bwoolymbr
    Free Member

Mistaken purchases from eBay that is. You know the items I mean; that £1000 DSLR you ‘won’ when you thought about taking up photography and it was so cheap you couldn’t help having a bid..I mean after all, someone else would outbid you before the auction ended right?

Wrong. You’re sat at work when your phone buzzes and upon checking your inbox, you’re confronted by an email from eBay stating that you are the winner of said camera and that you need to pay the £1000 for it within the next 24 hours. The next step is to either try and wheedle out of going through with the sale (which none of the upstanding citizens of STW would do obviously) or to acknowledge that you’ll probably be eating beans on toast a lot this month and go ahead and pay for it.

Anyway what I’m trying to ask is, what’s the most expensive & unnecessary thing you’ve bought on eBay when you didn’t think you’d actually win it/were drunk?

Oh and this post is due to my having just won a £650 DSLR on eBay whilst being out of work and having just came back from eight months of travelling (and no I didn’t find myself, although I found cheap booze and lots of women so mission accomplished in my eyes!)

Ah well, that’s twelve weeks worth of jobseekers allowance gone I suppose.

meehaja
    Free Member

what camera?

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

A Canon 600D with 18-15mm & 55-250mm lenses. I had an attempt at getting into photography a few years back now but I started in the middle of winter and didn’t get out enough to make it worthwhile so I ended up selling it (my previous camera was a Nikon D90x)

onandon
    Free Member

A few years ago I was very very drunk and won ( and paid for ) a £200 sonic toothbrush a £250 Philips razor and a £800 Vivienne Westwood coat for my wife. All in the same evening.

I knew nothing about it until a week after then the razor arrived in the post. I asked my wife if she purchased it for me as a gift………….. A quick look at PayPal and ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Not really a costly one but I did get 4GB of ultra fast DD2 memory turn up on my doorstep. A quick look at my ebay account confirmed the purchase.

Stella and ebay do not mix.

Edit. I placed a bid on a new carbon frame last year whilst slightly worse for wear. £800.! Fortunately I was was out bid as I haven’t got a pot to p!ss in never mind £800 for a frame. 😯

maccruiskeen

Spent months of scouring trying to find a machine like this at a good price

My strategy was – there are lots of different names people give to this kind of saw ‘panel saw’ ‘dimension saw’ ‘sliding bed saw’. I was trying to find someone who had given an obscure description that noone else would find on their key word search.

Found one that the seller had simply described as ‘SAW’ – practically no page views,with just a minute or two left to run, funny early morning closing time. Perfect storm for an unopposed bid. Put in the opening bid of £500 in the closing seconds expecting there to be a reserve (these things are 10s of 1000s new)…….Won.

Bargain. Now where is this two ton, 10ft long, 8 feet wide piece of machinery? Poole in Dorset. Where was I? Inverness.

takisawa2

There used to be a website for mispelled Ebay auctions…you put in the correct terminology & it searched for variants on this.

Raindog
    Free Member

I once bid £8000 on a Fiat Dino. I’d have been in so much trouble if someone hadn’t outbid me, but part of me wishes I’d won the auction. It’s better to seek forgiveness than permission after all.

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve got saw envy…..

i bid on a pair of used girls knickers may moons ago. fortunately i “lost” the bid when i used my friends account to out bid me. he couldn’t work out why he had won a pair of used ladies knickers and why he should pay 25 quid for them…..

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

Haha! Brilliant things listed here so far! My favourite has to be the two ton, ten foot long saw though, I mean just how do you plan on getting it to you? I imagine postage would cost more than the actual item did! Helicopter transport?

Oh and alpin – Used girls knickers? 😯 Each to their own I suppose!

There’s nothing better at making a hangover worse than realising you’ve spent nearly a grand on eBay when you’re unemployed and have little more than that left in your savings 😐

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Show me your worst mistakes…’ is closed to new replies.