Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Show me your trick for
  • juan
    Free Member

stopping dust, grit, mub and general filth to get between the seatpost and the seatube (and albeit scratching the seatpost).
    Thankyouverymuchindeed

DickBarton

Regular washing?

Excess grease round the post creating a 'seal'?

Cut some inner tube and stretch it over post and clamp?

Not really bother about it as it's a fact of MTBing in the dirt?

Crud Guard set real low so it it below the seatpost clamp (reduces amount of adjustment when lowering saddle though)?

juan
    Free Member

Hi dick I do the first two, but it doesn't stop the crap to get in (specially when moving up and down the seat post)

gusamc
    Free Member

I copaslip the post and cover the frame split with insulating tape, which goes under clamp ok.

Edric64
    Free Member

My seat post fits tightly in the seat tube how does crap get in yours? mind you I never change the seat position as my legs are only one length and I only ride xc

wwaswas

gravitydropper or Joplin type seatpost?

DickBarton

I'm with Edric 64 – I never adjust my saddle height so I don't have this problem…saying that, my carbon seatpost that came with the biek has a tendency to slip so I'll be junking it for an alloy post soon.

If you do move your saddle up and down often how about a very large inner tube and 2 jubilee clips? You set the clips at either end of adjustment – 1 on the frame below the clamp, locking the inner tube in position there, fill with a bit of grease and then clamp the inner tube just above the point where the post is in it's lowest position – you can then adjust the post to your heart's content, but also keep the crud out as the inner tube will allow some movement – not the cleanest but certainly a sealed system compared to not using it…jubilee clips are about 10p each and you can get some nice slim ones that would look too Heath Robinson.

You need a right baggy inner tube though – maybe a 3.5" diameter one so there is enough slack to allow it to move up and down…

dmiller
    Free Member

saying that, my carbon seatpost that came with the bike has a tendency to slip so I'll be junking it for an alloy post soon.

Have you tried carbon assembly paste? Its solved wandering seatposts for me on my bikes and I am tiny bit beefier than you… 😉

Next time I am out you can try some?

David.

qwerty
    Free Member

clean and lube post, fit, then put a smidge of mastic into seatpost slot, wipe off excess with thumb, allow to dry, should then stay put whilst adjusting post

(was a tip given to me by a roadie to stop water ingress into seattube)

DickBarton

Yes tried the paste…didn't work…so tried it a couple of more times…it certainly keeps it very much stuck in place, but whilst riding the bike it doesn't seem to do the job…think I'm needing to do a bit more clamping force to get it to work but as it's carbon I'm concerned it doesn't crack…

theotherjonv

I put a wrap of clingfilm over the seatclamp junction, and then cos it looks shit I put a bit of neoprene chainstay protector over that (with a little hole in it for the clamp to peek through) Job done.

I also put a wad of clingfilm up the inside of the steerer tube from underneath if its going to be really clarty, but you have to remember to remove every now and then and after washing as it collects water from the top.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

nice tips

dmiller
    Free Member

Ah well Richard thought it might be worth a shot.

Cheers,

David.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Show me your trick for’ is closed to new replies.