Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Show me your track bikes
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

A mailshot from PX has piqued my interest in a track bike yet again. Any track cyclists out there…? Also where do you ride and what do you race?

weeksy

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice but not quite what I had in mind.

iainc

oh, on you go then 🙂

I am a 20 min drive form Glasgow Velodrome, so very handy. This time of year I’m in drop in sessions twice a week when time permits. Track League clashes with club MTB ride night so not ventured there yet…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like that. Tempted to give it a go myself.

iainc

its great fun and highly addictive. I’m happy not to race, as the drop in sessions are a pretty hard hr of riding in their own right. It’s not much more expensive than going to gym or spin classess and a whole lot more enjoyable way of keeping fit this time of year.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I have a Moda Forte, i dont have any photos of it though.

Race track league every week in Glasgow (typical night would be 40 lap points race, 30 lap scratch race and either another scratch race or a devil). It is a real mix of adrenaline and endorphins, and obviously hard work too. Do the occassional drop in and structured training session but at the moment the timetable doesnt really suit so not there that often unless im racing. However its a great replacement for turbo sessions, thorougly recommend getting a track bike and riding at a velodrome it can be rather addictive.

crazy-legs

To be honest, this is pretty much end of thread… 😉

Cos no-one is going to better it.

iainc

hmmmm, nice but….

chain looks a bit slack to me, and that track champion tape on the stem will take some living up to 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Eh no brakes or messenger bags..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Any more out there?

TiRed

Mine is a retro 70’s/80’s 531c Poyner with Mavic GP4 rims, Airlite radially spoked front hub and 165mm cranks. Not strictly Manchester-proof as the BB is 27 not 28cm. Sorry piccy linky not worky today.

Having ridden this at a three hour session at Newport last weekend, and their stock Dolan pre cursa, I can safely say I won’t be upgrading to the Dolan. The 73 degree head angle made it feel like a tank on the steep boards (Poyner is 74 degrees), the transmission sounded awful (mine is silent) and the weight excessive. I’m sure their much nicer bikes are just that, but the pre cursa was just not to my taste. I paid £125 for it about 15 years ago. Started track riding last year, but it had been out on the road quite a few times.

By contrast, the pre cursa geometry is identical to my Paddy Waggon, and on the road, that bike handles fantastically well. So it is horses for courses. I would, however warn against proper track gemetry for road bikes because there are many better alternatives now.

iainc

TiRed – makes sense. The Precursa is common at the UK tracks because it is quite stable and ‘safe’. That said Lizzie Armistead still won medals on one, so it’s not all about the bike, as the saying goes 🙂

I opted for it as I had spent a lot of time on a hire one, so knew it fitted and was comfy. I went for different gearing and components and find it really nice to ride (accepting that I don’t know much else track wise)

MrSmith
    Free Member

Cos no-one is going to better it.

how presumptious. thats not even a Dolan DF3 with some proper track wheels. they look like clinchers to me for a start. and whats with the silly half link chain?
    world champion stem? where did you win those stripes?

crazy-legs

they look like clinchers to me for a start.

Training wheels. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Show me your track bikes’ is closed to new replies.