Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Show me your… singlespeed cyclocross bikes
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Barely got the race hardtail and the singlespeed rigid MTB sorted and I'm planning my next move (don't tell Mrs PixelMix). No urgency, but thinking about building up a singlespeed cyclocross bike. I never got on with my previous road bike (probably a bit long), but I think I'll give drop bars another shot.

There don't seem to be many singlespeed cyclocross frames around (I'm thinking Pompino, Roadrat, Cross Check etc) and adding carbon cyclocross forks. I prefer the chunkier looks of the alu frames, but photos of built bikes and other tips for inspiration please.

Would also consider full bikes (Felt Breed, Kona Major One or Genesis Day One Cross possibly). The now discontinued Spesh Singlecross looks a little heavy so is probably off the list.

Dylan08
    Free Member

"…There doesn't seem to be many singlespeed cyclocross frames around…"

I wonder why that is…? Christ.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Tis true, perhaps a niche too far?! I think the two go well though – saves on the maintenance when ploughing round muddy fields in winter, and good for building up strength in the off season.

JoB
    Free Member

Enigma

Kona Major One

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Sadly no longer in my possession, but it was a great ride: An old-skool steel Dolan CX frame with horizontal dropouts. Set up as a 42×18.

trail_rat
    Free Member

singlecross is heavy….
    good training though

very stable and capible off road though – ive taken mine places folk baulked at on mtbs ! (down the walkers path to loch muick and the capel mounth)

how it lives its day to day life !

thomthumb
    Free Member

the single cross does have ace tyre clearence though.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks. Anymore kicking around?

42:18 seems to be the gear of choice as standard. Is that what people tend to stick with?

markd
    Free Member

I is thinking about a cross check for the flexibility of SS or not depending on if i CBA or not.

pixelmix
    Free Member

True, the cross check seems to be the only one with a mech hanger, although if it comes to it, mech hangers that bolt through the skewer are available.

Cross Check in black is quite tidy, and handily my LBS does them, although it is over twice the price of a Pompino frame, and I'm not sure I fancy steel forks, so those would be getting changed anyway.

JoB
    Free Member

"42:18 seems to be the gear of choice as standard. Is that what people tend to stick with? "

38:18 here, for off-road, with hills

ojom
    Free Member

Cross Check in black is quite tidy, and handily my LBS does them

we do indeed.

(i am markd by the way – i was logged into the classified for some old bits i have)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

39 : 18 on my Felt, good for proper off road.

pixelmix
    Free Member

we do indeed.

(i am markd by the way – i was logged into the classified for some old bits i have)

Ah, that's handy. You'll need to let me know if you get one. I'm in no rush to pick one up so your review would be appreciated. 😉

I might pop in this Saturday to sort out a few other things (primarily to enquire about getting some Forks serviced). I'll leave the credit card at home though in case I accidentally leave with a cross check on order.

ojom
    Free Member

Ok. see you then.

We do all forks in house btw including TALAS.

gazc
    Free Member

45:18 commute and 39:18 off road with hills on my day one (converted to a cross with drops/drop levers). rides really nice, tempted to bodge an alfine/rohloff to it for some touring in summer

qwerty
    Free Member

flickr pics not posting lately – dunno why, so…

the bike:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/66651884@N00/3545830906

in action:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/66651884@N00/4287756801

38 x 18 for muddy off road with "hills" (may go 36 x 18 for SSEC though)

bulit prior to me being aware of the Major One with a WI Eccentric Eric, i've got nice kit on mine but the Major One frame is blingler

and yes, its small, 49cm frame (53cm tt) for my dwarf like legs

ourmaninthenorth

Er, don't fprget the Genesis Day One, priced at a song..!

Ti_Tim
    Free Member

Excuse the shameless plug but I've got a 52cm Tricross single in the classifieds – I didn't find it heavy at all – 44×18 worked best for me by the way

pixelmix
    Free Member

Qwerty – does look rather tidy. Nice one! Not sure I want to go down the eccentric hub route, but certainly worth thinking about.

I do like the look of the current Genesis Day One Cross, but I do wonder if I would then just end up upgrading lots of bits (including the fork for a carbon one), and then end up spending more than a custom build. How do you find the weight?

Ti_Tim – any other time I might have been interested since I think I probably want a 52cm, but I've not chance at all of getting a new bike past Mrs PixelMix right now!

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah ti tim i see you have fallen fowl to the tricross chainline issue. your chainline is wack – isnt that noisy ?

changing from the stock suginos means you have to space the ring in – i run middleburns with the shortest BB i could before the cranks hit the stay and still the ring wasnt in the same place as the sugino cranks giving a piss poor chain line – had to space the ring in.

Ti_Tim
    Free Member

trailrat – I'd never thought it was noisy but I'll check it out now – they aren't normal spec cranks – I think I've got a shorter BB somewhere – I'll have a play about with it

Did you run the ring on the inside of the outer tabs then ?

tthew

Day One here,but without drops as it is primarily for commuting, (might have a pair for next winter though!) Must admit on the couple of short offroad jaunts I've taken it on has been difficult, but that is, I'm sure me not used to rigid forks off road,(no 'pop' so found timing the front wheel difficult) Pretty light and because of the lack of componentry, not much to upgrade,(I'm sticking with the nice steel forks)

edit – Eh? I put a photo on, I can't see it, hope you can.
    edit 2 – ah, that's fixed it!

Rorschach
    Free Member

oops

fontmoss
    Free Member

singlecross, 42:16 but 42:18 might be a better bet if you have the choice

not the prettiest pic plus the stem is a lower rise one now

fontmoss
    Free Member

are major one frames still available?

EDIT: interweb says yes 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

any more pics? anyone got an indy fab, speedvaggen or vanilla?…

stever
    Free Member

38:16 here, because that's what's lying around. Spinnable on roads (63") but a touch character building on proper hills. Easily switchable to 42:16 fixed in more of a road guise. The (steel) Pompino fork's fine by the way.

firestarter
    Free Member

heres another one

samuri
    Free Member

And another….

Mans gearing too, you probably don't want to emulate it on hills. 44:18 I think.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Mans gearing too, you probably don't want to emulate it on hills. 44:18 I think.

im on 42:16 at the mo.
    (unfurls massive testicles as tries to sit down)

to be fair im going to change it to 39:16 though 😳

c
    Free Member

What size is the crosscheck firestarter? It's niicce.

samuri
    Free Member

me too I think. having a massive gear is all very well and good for willy waving on here but up proper steep offroad hills it's a bit of a chore.

Although mine's fixed, obviously.

fontmoss
    Free Member

🙁 testicles retreating inside slightly

epicyclo

More here

samuri – Member
    me too I think. having a massive gear is all very well and good for willy waving on here but up proper steep offroad hills it's a bit of a chore.

Ah, is it you I have to thank for the fixed gearing on my Pompino? I've got used to it now and can do the 'Puffer climbs ok on it. Cowardly on the descents though. 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

I had a pompy for a while, ran 42/16 road, 39/18 offroad (white-ind dos-eno freewheel). Steel fork was ok but could be harsh on rough roads with high psi. Fitted a carbon reynolds ouzo-cx fork and it was WAY better. Lovely bike, nice and snappy without being twitchy or uncomfortable for long rides.

Swapped for a Surly X-check recently so i could fit gears and go touring. For the brief period i ran it SS it was a very capable bike, even handled MTB trails without complaint. It does feel 'dead' in comparison the the pompy tho due to the lower bb, heavier tubing, longer stays and general extra weight. Thats not to say its bad, just different. Both will handle long rides in comfort, but the surly feels a little more stable and 'tank like' compared to the pomp. The stock Surly fork is very good tho, better than the on-one steel fork and quite close in feeling to the carbon.

Worth noting that the Surly can take bigger tyres than the pomp, tho its not a cross bike if you go more than 30c anyway ;0)

(please excuse the gears on the x-check, dont have a pic from when it was ss)
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dickyelsdon/3633722652/][/url]

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers epi, have you deleted your submissions?

samuri
    Free Member

I think Brant sent it to me fixed as well, although he new I rode fixed all the time. It's not that hard to be honest, you do get used to it quickly.

Now *that* is good for impressing people with. 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

havent treid fixed offroad before and not ridden fixed for agggggeeeesss. maybe ill have a blast tomorrow

firestarter
    Free Member

monster cross geared mode with 1.8 bonty 29er tyres on 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Show me your… singlespeed cyclocross bikes’ is closed to new replies.