Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Show me your SC Bullits (build suggestions please)
  • scaredypants

mine (2004 I think – 7 inch travel) takes a 28.6 post

tf
    Free Member

Brake less? Don't brake over bumps?

Indeed 🙂 I reckon if I am breaking when I need the full benefit of the suspension, I am doing it wrong to start with; if nothing else, this property of the suspension forces me to think a bit more about why I am braking, where I should be braking, and how (I would much recommend the chapter on braking in the famous Brian Lopez book; I found it a real eyeopener).

I did buy this from santa cruz but its effing crap, plastic washer for gawds sake it just deforms every time.

Actually, I think the SC seat clamps are pretty good, never given me any bother at all; if the plastic is deforming, might you be over-tightening it perhaps ? (I certainly prefer it to a Hope clamp that boasts no plastic washer.)

earl_brutus

need some more bullit pics on here………….

stooo
    Free Member

I'm going with a hope clamp myself… always proved reliable for me on all my bikes.

Earl…
    Agreed, need more pics of nice Bullits.

toys19
    Free Member

earl_brutus – Member

need some more bullit pics on here………….

We do. I'll clean my bikes tonight and post more better pics.

jwr

Trail bike guise:

DH guise:

-j

scaredypants

not that pretty, but then nor is my bike

stompy

Same bike….. different pic 🙂

earl_brutus

jwr how the **** did you get those 3 in 1 snaps??? P.S. i am a photography numpty

Wibble89
    Free Member

They're lovely do it all bikes. Also shameless plug that its for sale.

toys19
    Free Member

yeah the 3 in 1's are cool tell us..

jwr

Ermmm… OK (with apologies to stooo for the thread hijack).

Ingredients
    [list]
    [*] 1 camera capable of high speed shooting[/*]
    [*] 1 copy of Photoshop CS3 or above[/*]
    [/list]

Recipe
    [list]
    [*] Pick a good vantage point through which the rider will do something interesting[/*]
    [*] As the rider enters frame, start machine gunning with the high speed shutter release, don't move the camera[/*]
    [*] Pick 3 or 4 of the best images in the sequence, make sure there is good separation between the rider position in each frame[/*]
    [*] Load all the images into Photoshop, each image should be a separate layer[/*]
    [*] Use Photoshop's align layers tool to compensate for small camera movements[/*]
    [*] Add a mask to all the layers and manually mask around the rider revealing the underlying frames[/*]
    [/list]

I shoot with a Canon 7D, so I can fire off shots at 8 frames per second. The two examples above were done with my 30D which will do about 5 fps.

-j

stooo
    Free Member

Dam … all these pics making me super excited about building mine up.

JWR – nice pics and love the "Trail bike Build" … pretty close to what I'll have by next week.

So… almost all my bits together, here's the spec list:

2005 Bullit Frame – choice of Swinger 4way air or DHX5 Coil shocks… DHX will be on it.
    RS Lyrik Coil Forks (short steerer bargain, but got round that with a super low stack height stem from BikeHut of all places!)
    X9 gearing kit
    Juicy 4 brakes (like the 3s, but with a wee thumb adjuster for lever reach) 185 rotors.
    Bonty Rhythm Comp wheels. Pretty tough, but not super heavy…. or expensive 😉
    Dues Chainset with double and bash… always proved strong enough on other bikes… and I don't drop big stuff these days.
    RF Atlas Wiiiiiide bars in my 50mm BikeHut stem.
    2.35 Maxxis High Roller R/Minion F tyres… and a set of Kenda Blue Grooves for lighter duties.

Should be a lovely, fun, play bike that'll get me to the top of the hill and be heaps of fun on the downs.

I've a whole heap of Innerleithen DH trails to explore on my doorstep…. I can't live here and not have this bike in my life, it would just be wrong!

Pics of the build coming next week….. stay tuned…..

Those reading that don't own a bullit…. you must be wanting one by now right?

stooo
    Free Member

Wibble… nice new build bullit. Why you selling ? the new shape frames are mighty purdy, but I have a big soft spot for the brute force look of the old ones.

stooo
    Free Member

Here's a teaser…. frame and forks.

should be building the rest on the weekend 🙂

slimtubing
    Free Member

Not mine, a mates, although taken in my old garden.
    an unusual fork choice but he reckoned it worked well.

peterfile
    Free Member

Totems
    DHX 5.0 Air
    Saints
    Floating Brake Kit
    X9
    e.13
    RaceFace Diabolus

stooo
    Free Member

Slimtubing… tis an odd fork choice, a bit on the light side for the thug like character of the bullit, I'll take your buddies word for it that they work well on it. I'll be going heavier.

Peterfile… That looks like more of a classic Bullit build. Like the green too.

toys19
    Free Member

Peterfile is that damage on your top tube at the junction witht the seat tube? I want a new one in small hmmm jealous. I think i might go and explore stif's interest free deal again..

stooo
    Free Member

After a zoom in on the iPhone, it looks like a sticker on Peterfile's top tube.

toys19
    Free Member

yeah thats what I was thinking but maybe it covers damage… Either way I am sick jealous as I really want a new style bullit!

stooo
    Free Member

Stop it, you're making me want one… And I've not finished building this one yet!

(opens tab to santacruz website)

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah well I've got two already another one will not hurt..

coogan
    Free Member

My old Bullit just out the shop.

And bouncing down in Whistler.

ianpv
    Free Member

I had a 2003 that I loved – first big bike, just couldn't wait to ride it. In retrospect though, old bullits were too short, too tall, and too steep for me.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Always wanted one and finally dropped the cash on this last summer . . .

Very sit down, shut up and hold on, but coming from a short-travel bike (Tazer) I found it a nightmare on the climbs and foolishly sold it after 2 weeks 🙄 . . . now I've learnt how to cope with 35lbs of skill compensation uphill I want another 🙄 🙄

Keep the pics coming folks!

juiced
    Free Member

don't I want one now. 😮

slimtubing
    Free Member

mamadirt that is beyond cute. As for my pic with the Mavs, he was 10 stone wet through and a very 'light/flowy' rider who gave the bike heaps but never saw the need to go beefier up front.

peterfile
    Free Member

yeah thats what I was thinking but maybe it covers damage… Either way I am sick jealous as I really want a new style bullit!

it's just a rockshox sticker that came with the totems. not there to cover up any damage, just got a few dotted around to break up the "green". there's an identical one on the other side 😀

speshstumpyworks
    Free Member

If anyone is interested I have a large bullit frame for sale c/w fox rc coil shock 152mm travel.
    white front and black rear in mint condition.
    mail cammykt@ukonline.co.uk for pics and a price if you are keen to get a hold of a frame cheap.
    Cheers
    Cameron

toys19
    Free Member

There is also a medium black frame in the classified this very minute click

schrickvr6
    Free Member

My old one, I do miss it actually….

stooo
    Free Member

Not mine, just a pic I found on Google image search…. but probably the best looking classic frame Bullit I've seen!

stooo
    Free Member

Here she is folks….

Build detail:
    Med frame, in slack setup with Fox DHX5 coil.
    RS Lyrik coil u-turns
    Bonty Rhythm Comp wheels
    Wiiiiide Blackspire bars, in Easton Vice 65mm stem. Spoon saddle
    RF Deus Cranks, twin rings n bash, Blackspire stinger guide
    X9 shifting
    Juicy4 brakes.

First ride tonight… surprisingly ok up the hill… certainly good training. Superb jumper and great tracking on the fast down. May have to trim the 80cm bars down a touch for the tight, steeep stuff.

Overall…. Lovely 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Nice. I always liked the trans red colour.

robidoo
    Free Member

+1 coogan

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Show me your SC Bullits (build suggestions please)’ is closed to new replies.