Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Show Me Your Santa Cruz Bronson (Alloy or Carbon) Pics
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

eventually this frame will be mine 😈 see plenty out and about now, but dont see many pics on here, so inspire me with some of your bronsons please!

lowey

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oDq11F]20140808_110156[/url] by lowey.com, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ofdzAX]20140705_143259[/url] by lowey.com, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nVhgCg]20140521_195431[/url] by lowey.com, on Flickr

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Up date on that link I got the Bronson, great bike, brilliant handling. Certainly no regrets. It’s been flawless and suits how I ride. If you haven’t already done so get a demo day to make sure it’s the one for you.

gardron
    Free Member

Seconded what pawsy said, it’s a cracking bike – it’s way better than I am at any rate. Only had it a couple of months and already absorbed a few of my mistakes and kept me on it where I’d have gone over the bars in the past. Anyway, you wanted photos:

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Is this pretty much a 27.5″ Blur LT2, with the VPP2 suspension etc?

Never seen one in the flesh, but look cracking from the pics so far.

Lakes_Puma

Posted before but here it is again 8)

JCL
    Free Member

One of the worst mountain bikes I’ve ever ridden. Each to their own.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Not often I’d agree with JCL, but I rode a demo out in Whistler this week, as my wife wanted one badly. We picked it up at 10 and had it for the day. They had it back by 11. She was so disappointed, as her heart was set on it. We don’t often agree on bikes, but I also rode it, to see why she wasn’t complaining so much.

It went up great. I went down like sh*t.

nibby
    Free Member

Does everything very well for me without any fuss. Which is what I was looking for rather than something that was useless going up but fantastic down.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve heard conflicting reports about them. Mostly negative.

Would like to have a go to see why.

discoduck
    Free Member

Hob Nob, can you elaborate any more on your experience, in what way was it poor on the downs, I’m not questioning your knowledge I’m genuinely interested as I’m going to be replacing an Alu Nomad shortly and was thinking about this bike specifically as it’s basically an old Nomad, the new ones too slack for me etc.

I’ll be riding Whistler, Colorado, Alps on it so it’s pretty important that it comes down well. My nomad has to be the best bike I’ve ridden it’s just so good on the downward stuff and also surprisingly effective on the ups. Dependant on my legs and lungs of course.

IF I am honest though………. I think the Bronson Is Fugly ! I’m not keen on that brace and think the rear triangle looks skew, I quite like a bike to be symmetrical like the Nomad, like the Heckler how it forms around the seat tube and is pleasing on the eye. I know it’s not imperative and it won’t be a deal breaker as long as it works but if its not compliant on the descents then I’m sticking with Nomads.

cblair246
    Free Member

I came from a Blur LTC2 to the Bronson and can say its a definite evolutionary step but not revolutionary from the Blur. I feel it sits in the middle of the road with its attributes, climbs and descends well and is comfortable for all day riding. It doesn’t truly excel in any area but also doesn’t do anything badly. With the current Enduro specific bikes coming out I’m not sure how it would do against them. It would hold its own but would it be king, doubtful.

I got mine as frame warranty for the Blur but would I put my own hard earned cash down for one, probably not purchased at UK prices but maybe from the US although I would like to see a few of the newer bikes before I decided.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Discoduck, make sure you try the Nomad first, thats all I will say.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

some nice pics there, has anyone got the green colourway one?

agreed its best to test, ive had a little go on a mates, even though his was a medium it felt nice the brief ride i had (id need a large)

i’d consider a nomad too but it would require new forks i think as my pikes are 150mm they do just look amazing in real life especially if its built like ricks is!

coogan
    Free Member

If your thinking Bronson, have a serious look at a Pivot Mach 6. Only had mine month and a half, but IMO it is just such an awesome bike. This is probably the first bike I’ve had where I never really stop for a rest, I just want to keep going on it. It’s such a larf to ride. Bit cheaper than a Bronson too. Demo bikes available too.

julzm
    Free Member

Different colour way other than the tennis yellow…..

Love this bike does everything that’s want it to.

[/url] image by julmulvan, on Flickr[/img]

nibby
    Free Member

JCL – Member

One of the worst mountain bikes I’ve ever ridden. Each to their own.

One of the worst, curious to know why??

discoduck
    Free Member

Rick, do you have a new Nomad ?
    How does it ride on the slower technical descents, how Is it on the slow climbs with switchbacks like at Dalby.

I’ve had a bit of a wake up call this afternoon, after winging and whining about having a Plastic bike my mate reminded me that I made as much noise in the early 90’s when things went from steel to Alu.

JCL
    Free Member

One of the worst, curious to know why??

Suspension. Rising rate to sag point, falling from there on. I have no idea how people deal with it? Unless they’re used to 150mm bikes feeling like 100mm.

Same goes for all SC’s VPP’s.. Fundamentally flawed.

discoduck
    Free Member

I have no idea what that graph shows but are the other two single pivot bikes ?

passtherizla
    Free Member

Hideous the lot of ’em.

Lakes_Puma

JCL – As they say each to their own, but as an observation I thought the idea of the VPP was to counteract the natural rising rate of an air shock so the switch from rising to falling on the VPP ends up giving a linear rate of travel?

discoduck
    Free Member

That’s what I thought as well, a bit like a boy racer looking at BHP hikes on a graph, when what your actually supposed to be looking for is a fairly flat torque curve right across the rev range.

All that graph shows me* as a casual observer is that its set up wrong on the other 2 ?
    You can even see where it ramps up at the end of the stroke where it bottoms out, or is that not what it shows, can some one explain what’s going on with the graph, any one from TF, Loco etc who knows what they are on about.

And how come no one else knows that link activated VPP style suspension doesent work.

wrecker
    Free Member

Weird. Mt LTc is miles better than any spesh I’ve ever ridden, including enduros.

discoduck
    Free Member

My Nomad is the best bike I’ve ever ridden,

rOcKeTdOg

Same goes for all SC’s VPP’s

Mr Bryceland seems to cope with the handicap quite well

scraggy
    Free Member

Try not to forget that unless you’ve got a steel hardtail you’ll have your bike pooh poohed on this forum.
    😉

maxtorque

eh? Lets not let facts get in the way of a good linching now shall we!

According to that ^^ graph up there, the “leverage” ratio varies between 2.4 and 2.65. And yet, with an air shock, everytime you halve it’s volume you DOUBLE it’s pressure (and hence it’s rate). Hence, the SC VPP still has a rising rate suspension characteristic at ALL points in it’s travel.

discoduck
    Free Member

Which means WHAT ? Exactly

Is that a good thing or a bad thing,

And surely its a rising rate as the link in effect activates the stroke, where as a single pivot bike is solely reliant on the axle and the shock the VPP is reliant upon an axle, shock and an added Linkage which transfers the rate at which the shock is activated.

Is there not another graph somewhere which shows how happy SC owners are ?

I had a frame warrantied the other year with NO quibble, and as i keep on saying it rides really well. :mrgreen:

Compared to a Heckler the VPP nomad is well no Comparison, and compared to another popular single pivot Orange 5, its laughable. So i cant see why or how the VPP Link Activated Shock doesent work, on paper maybe its a bit confusing but out on the Trail is where it counts.

JCL
    Free Member

Mr Bryceland seems to cope with the handicap quite well

The shock is actuated by the lower link on the V10. The upper link actuation is the problem.

What’s happening in that graph is the suspension is initially regressive to 50mm and then slowly moves progressive from there on. So the bike has a load of anti-squat to cope with the regressive suspension to sag point.

The other two bikes in the graph have typical, predictable, falling leverage rates. As do most other designs.

maxtorque

^^^^^ Are you confusing “leverage ratio” with “spring rate”??

discoduck
    Free Member
    maxtorque

Here’s a plot of “Normalised spring rate” for those three leverage curves you have shown, for a nominal volume Fox RP2 rear air shock:

As you can see, the rising rate of the air spring overwhelms the minor differences in leverage ratio by a massive factor! If you can ride a bike and spot a less than 5% difference in spring rate at one point in the rear suspension travel i’ll eat my hat (i’m pretty sure i couldn’t). Yes, the suspension systems will probably “feel” slightly different, but to say “SC VPP is complete rubbish” is not really true now is it!! And that’s before we consider the effects of chain load etc 😉 (negation of which is i believe the real aim of VPP?)

stevious

I read this thread and now I have a headache. I don’t even want a new mountain bike.

nibby
    Free Member

JCL, thanks for the reply.

I don’t really do graphs just like to ride on feel, adjust when necessary and if needed then try a few things out.

To say it’s one of the worst bikes you have ever ridden, well have you actually ridden one or are you just looking at graphs?

If it really is one of the worst you have ridden fair play but I’m intrigued to know what bikes you have ridden 😉

Just curious really..

I might be biased because I have one but it puts a massive grin on my face each time I ride it and I’ve ridden a few.

bigsoups
    Free Member

I have a lot of love for my Bronson, minor blip in relationship after developing excessive fade / scratch after a weeks riding during Megavalanche week (muddy conditions) but that feeling of disappointment (strictly cosmetic) was quickly resolved by exceptional customer service by way of new frame en route from Uncle Sam.

davosaurusrex

What all you fules is forgetting is that JCL knows about kinematics and shit. Remarkable restraint in not dropping that in there yet JCL, well done.

wrecker
    Free Member

Remarkably talented but then he does work in a bike shop 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Show Me Your Santa Cruz Bronson (Alloy or Carbon) Pics’ is closed to new replies.