• This topic has 64 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Show me your Rocket!
  • mmel
    Free Member

Hello all

After killing two hardtails with an over enthusiastic week of riding and with the unexpected permission of Mrs. mmel I’m looking at getting a Cotic Rocket.

I’m all set for a demo day next weekend (anyone else going?) but in the mean time I’m looking for build inspiration and help with the all important black or orange decision. From what I’ve heard Black is available now but Orange wont be here until April at the earliest.

I’m not planning anything fancy, I’ll be using a lot of kit I have already, but one thing I will be needing is a new rear hub (142×12). Any suggestions other than Hope…

Cheers chaps, I await your response….

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Orange.

Had a similar black v orange conundrum with my Bandit. I asked friends, family, even my kids and ALL said orange. I’m glad I listened to them. Black is boring.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

orange is so crude. black is classy.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

orange is so crude. black is classy.

It’s a mountainbike not a girl, you don’t need to worry about introducing it to your parents.

mmel
    Free Member

mrlebowski – is that a vote for black and white then? 💡

ndg
    Free Member

I’m up there on Saturday, demoing different sizes at 10 and 12. See you then!

mmel
    Free Member

I’m at 12 but could only book a large. Looking at the dimensions and talking to Cy I’m probably more suited to a medium but we shall see.

Hmmm, orange or black….?

ndg
    Free Member

Orange, but would really want a green one!

metalheart
    Free Member

Rocket – in the wild… by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

Orange. Because (from my experience) Cotic black scuffs up to easy…. and because I didn’t have another orange bike at the time… :mrgreen:

Here’s a black one, just for comparisons sakes…

Rocket @Fungle by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

passtherizla
    Free Member

Here is mine…

[/url]
    Untitled by passtherizla, on Flickr[/img]

Original thread.

I also did some jumps on it.

Oh and to answer your question… Black.

mmel
    Free Member

How about rear hubs, have we all got Hope?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Orange ftw 🙂

tomhoward

Orange over black every time for me, when I get one.

Hubs? King….

mattjg
    Free Member

29er version pls Cotic!

metalheart
    Free Member

Hubs: pro2 evos because it’s just the hub adapters to convert to/from 135’s

mmel
    Free Member

Edging towards black at the moment!

robowns
    Free Member

Orange is so much nicer than black

_tom_
    Free Member

Go for orange, black is too boring!

mattjg
    Free Member

black +1

Souls are orange.

Rockets aren’t.

Alex

Cotic Rocket 2012 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

2.5 tyres on there now. Alps in two weeks. I think it might be quite good 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m waiting for orange, but that is lovely, Alex.

mmel
    Free Member

Alex – that is swinging it for me, though I think my Rev’s will be white

Are we all still on Hope hubs?

Alex

Yep hope hubs. Looking at plugging in an x-fusion fork for a bit more stiffness. I rode some stuff on mine I’;ve been ‘looking at’ for two years on our local trails. Riding this makes you realise how good bikes are now. And possibly how nesh the rider is 😉

mmel
    Free Member

Looking at plugging in an x-fusion fork for a bit more stiffness

Are you finding the Revs have too much flex then?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Orange looks great now but will date. Black is forever black.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Orange looks great now but will date. Black is forever black.

Til it get scratched to buggery, then it looks guff. Besides, that’s what powdercoaters are for!.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Alex, where did you get the white gear cable outer from?

Edit – found them!.

Alex

Glad you said that as the answer would have been ‘bike shop’ 🙂 I do have some ride-on white cables just never got round to fitting them.

Fairly sure mine’ll end up at the powdercoaters eventually. I didn’t really like the orange but now i have a solaris in that colour, it’s growing on me.

I’m sure the Revs are fine. But they just don’t feel as taut and flex free as the back end. It just feels like the bike could go even quicker but the forks are stopping it. Obviously better riding would probably help 😉 Mate has one with 34s which he loves be a) not sure I want fox forks and b) HOW MUCH MONEY!

passtherizla
    Free Member

I sold a whole bike to pay for my 36’s… bloody glad I did too.

mattjg
    Free Member

White forks or white rims, not both. Forks are easier to clean!

mattjg
    Free Member

& nb the white Crests are 50g heavier than the black!

grum
    Free Member

Orange.

Alps in two weeks? Aren’t they still covered in snow? I hope so as I’m going boarding soon.

Alex

well quite low… sosphel on France/Swiss border. In the trees rather than on the tops..

_tom_
    Free Member

The only thing I don’t like about the orange one is the white bits on the suspension linkage stuff. Should be black or all orange.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Hubs wise, I’m going to be looking very hard at the DT240, which I think can swap endcaps, same as Hope to go QR/12×135/12×142. I’ll be using my Hope SP-AM4/Flows for starters though.

Forks – I know Cy hated his 34s – reckoned the damping was awful/non-existant. He’s running Maggie MT8s at the mo, which on the limited reviews so far are looking pretty good – lighter and stiffer than both Fox and RS. The thing about the Rocket is that the frame is SODDING stiff, so it shows up any flex in the forks. The one I demoed last year had 15mm thru axle Fox Floats on, and the front end felt really imprecise compared to the back. I want to avoid the Lyric/36 thing, as it’ll make the bike even slacker, add weight and bring it a bit too close to my Uzzi for comfort – I want an all day trail bike. Not a winch & plummet effort.

majorspaniel

Jonedwards, the mt8 is a cracking fork, iv recently got a pair of 150 lift selects for my bfe and they are so much nice to ride than the 150 rev’s that came off it, they feel lighter in the holding them in the air test, the damping seems spot on and now that they’ve bedded in properly they are really smooth and plush aswell as bring really stiff, I’d certainly have another pair on another bike.

Alex

The Magura’s do look good. As does the x-fusion slant which is about 300 quid less. Be nice to see a few UK reviews on it tho. Agree with Jon up there (hi Jon!) about resisting the urge to make the rocket into a monster because the frame can easily take it. Mine’s a nadge under 30lbs with arch ex/2.3 tyres and maybe a pound more with flows/2.5 that I use when there’s a chance of some shuttling.

metalheart
    Free Member

Thought Cy was slapping some Devilles on his (to match the Vip’r) no?

They ain’t cheap neither! Although, that’s ideally what I’d like to stick on mine…

mmel
    Free Member

I’m on a bit of a budget so fancy forks are a no no. Looking at 2012 Revelation RCT3’s at the moment. I’ve read on here that Mr. Loco himself rides with them so they’ve got to do something right. Think I can get them for under £400.

Those MT8’s look good, but I’ve read that they’re a bit of a plug and play fork with less room for tweaking?

As for Hubs, it’s looking like Hope now. Those DT’s are markedly more expensive. Has anyone attempted to re-lace a rim to a new hub 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Rocket!’ is closed to new replies.