Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • show me your retro single speeds
  • jaycmx1
    Free Member

ive just been given an old kona cinder cone frame and forks and a few other bits i think im gona try and build it up as a single speed so i i can see how it suits me.its not got disc mounts or anything but ive seen some retro single speeds posted on here before.show me some pics and any advice you might have please.the girl friend cant moan coz its free and i will try and sorce cheap bits on here and ebay.ill post some pics when i get some later

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dont have a pic of a bike, but i have a pic of everything you need to convert your bike to SS

16tooth cog (used 3 times)
    18tooth cog (unused)
    A2Z spacer kit (used 3 times)
    Lockring (unused)
    Gusset Tensioner (unused)
    SRAM chain with all important half link meaning you get a better chain tension with no skipping (used 3 times)

Selling the lot for £22 posted if your interested?

ssboggy

jaycmx1
    Free Member

surfr them pics are ace theres me thinking i must be mad for doin this old bike up.david taylforth im interested in them bits.the old crank thats onit do i buy a new one or do you convert the geared one.also the wheels ive got have got gears on the back are them spacers for converting the wheel aswell.

Andy

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve got a 93/4 Cindercone undergoing the SS treatment as we speak. I’m just waiting for some new P2 forks to arrive and me to bother putting the cassette spacer and sprocket on the wheel.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

also how do you use the geared frames without them doofer things that tighten the chain

Andy

I got me a white eno eccentric hub off a doner bike from ebay. Thus:

clubber
    Free Member

95 kona kilauea

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The crank you have on it will be convertable i would have thought. Just remove the chainrings you dont need and run a single one.

Ho many gears (on the back) does it have at the moment?

If its 8 or 9, then removed them all and add the spacers plus one of the cogs.

Its tricky to run geared frames without a doofer (tensioner). I managed it on my bike, but only because I was running a half link (included in the sale) to get the right tension. However, after time all chains stretch so then you have to use a tensioner to tension the chain.

However, if you have used a half link then there wont be much slack in the chain anyway, so you can tension the chain ‘upwards’ which makes more of the chain wrap around the rear cog. If you have to much slack in the chain then you have to tension downwards which isnt great because theres less contact between the chain and cog and this can make it skip when pushing down hard on the pedals, and this sint a nice experience.

Some bikes you can get the perfect tension without a half link (not often) but the chain will stretch eventually, which is when you bang the halflink back in to regain tension

postierich
    Free Member

I got me a white eno eccentric hub off a doner bike from ebay. Thus:

Sort it out with a WI freewheel!!!!
    Frame over 10 years old!

Andy

Ai Rich I’ll get a WI cog when the thing on there now dies, but for now as a pub/commuter its fine.
    I like that blue thing each time I see it.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Mine. 1993 Klein Fervor

Now has a yellow flite and some pedals:

Has been retired and replaced with a generic inbred – i wanted discs and bounce (and better modern handling)

MrSparkle

Dead now,o’course. Chainstay snapped like most owd Kona’s do.

slugwash
    Free Member

The circa 1993 KHS Ti

And, in two parts the now mothballed 1980’s Giant Stonebreaker with retro fitted horizontal dropouts…..

jaycmx1
    Free Member

just stripped the bits off it now its a kona cindercone race light.chromolly frame its got kona project 2 forks its got k race light bars stem and seat post,being new to the mountain biking i take i need some retro type bottom bracket tool.and whats going on with the threaded stearer and retro headset.will by lbs still stock them and bottom bracket bearings? 😐

jaycmx1
    Free Member

oh and david acn you send me your payment instructions/details so i can pay for them single speed bits.20 pound posted would be better 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

£20 posted is fine.

Paypal to david.taylforth@googlemail.com

Pay tonight, they’ll be in the post tomorrow

Cheers

David

knottie8
    Free Member

My mate Johns Roberts Dogs bollo*

Dave
    Free Member

To right some of the crimes against Kona above.

cp

that a’ha is beautiful!

Andy

Dave; my kona was nicked off me in 2001 and I only got it back in 2007 hence the state it is in! Any old kona that is being used is a good Kona!

Woody
    Free Member

About to bbe treated to a new, as yet undecided, paintjob

notamassifanbut
    Free Member

I love this thing – cost about £60 to put together and it’s the most laughs per £ I ever had.

This was my dream bike – but I just found it difficult to justify the money tied up in it while I still have so much fun on the c’cone

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Payment received, Ill post tomorrow

jaycmx1
    Free Member

notamassifanbut that cindercone is exactly the same as mine any idea how old it was

notamassifanbut
    Free Member

It’s a 1990 – I had one new back in the day – great bike and I wish I never sold it. The one I got now came up about 3 years ago for £40 and I couldn’t resist buying it. Took the inner and outer chainrings of an old chainset, took a 19t cog our of an old cassette and put a tensioner on and it’s all works great.

ssboggy

A mate of mines. Cost about a fiver

oxym0r0n

Thought I’d resurrect this thread from a few days ago…
    Before:

Now:

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘show me your retro single speeds’ is closed to new replies.