Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Show me your reconditioned/restored bikes
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I love old things that have been restored to their former glory. Show me some bikes that have been brought back to life.

stevied
    Free Member

How old is old?

kudos100
    Free Member

How old is old?

When it comes to bikes, probably pre 2010 😆

Doesn’t matter too much about the age. As long as it was in a bit of a state to being with.

robdob
    Free Member

1992 GT Tequesta – a replica of my first proper MTB. Bought another from a cash converter, had been sitting out in the rain for weeks and was seriously rusted. (Condition was way worse than the photo shows).

Stripped, removed seized BB and post, polished, hand painted the decals to repair them then sourced all the components I had in 1992.

Result.

robdob
    Free Member

Oh, and me with the original 1992 bike in 1992. 🙂

slackboy

That’s lovely. I nearly bought “my” alpinestars cro-mega off what last month

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve got more……

1994 Kona Kilauea

Bought in 94, stolen on 96, got it back in 2013. Ground up but and bolt restoration, full custom respray and decals, treated to NOS XT stuff, Flite Ti, NOS skinwalls, Pauls Components levers, NOS Thumbies. Rides beautifully and faster than a lot of modern bikes in the right setting.

Before.

After.

This NOS Tange Prestige Concept decal cost me £15!!!

Waderider
    Free Member

Crikey, Shocktech forks OP! I still have a 1991 Orange Clockwork that had a pair of them once upon a time. Used to compress and not rebound. Amazing performance!

robdob
    Free Member

Those forks nearly killed me. The design was so bad (they were a bad copy of Manitou forks) the steerer pulled out of the crown, which I only noticed after some investigation about why my headset kept coming loose. Only about 10mm of the steerer was left in the crown….. You can see that the forks in the pictures look like they are pointing forwards, rather than parallel with the headtube as they should be – yikes!! Could have been a loss of face moment, in the grimmest sense of the phrase.

belugabob
    Free Member

Not restored to its factory condition, but definitely given a new lease of life

slackboy

do you want to sell the Kona? It can’t be worth that much, being an unfashionable wheel size 😉

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

this is more a retrobike thread. bought as a frame and built up with loud bling parts just for the hell of it:

robdob
    Free Member

Slackboy. I’ll never ever sell it. I don’t have any sentimental at all apart from that bike. Getting it back after nearly 20 years apart was so special, it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden. I would be genuinely very upset if I lost it again. Cost me twice as much to restore it as it was worth (about £900) but it was worth it to me.

plus-one

Not in the same league as robdob’s but my fave resto …

1995 cindercone bought in a bit of a state(parts more than condition) I sourced all the proper parts had fork/stem painted ..

Frame was cleaned and treated any chips/touched in with well matched paint

Pretty much catalogue spec apart from contact points..

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

unovolo
    Free Member

More of a re-imagining than a straight restoration.
    Old Saracen Kili Racer with a Butchered Headtube.

After

Merak

robdob
    Free Member

Unovolo- love that Saracen, job very well done there.

kudos100
    Free Member

The Kona is a beauty. Always lusted after them when I was younger.

petrieboy

rescued my old bike from my folks place 3 years back. finally got it back on the road this year
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-classic-italian-columbus-sl-road-bike

Original paint was nice but very rough. I decided to go with all new group rather than trying to source replacement wheels.

had it stripped and coated keeping the rear triangle chrome exposed

had the little ones Rothan done in the same batch

polished up the campag seat post and Cinelli stem

added decals

and a new 105 group

sorted

first ride was like meeting up with a dear old pal. really happy with it even if it is unlikely to see much use

wiggles
    Free Member

Not up there with some of the beauties in this thread but my dad recently gave me his early 90’s Raleigh Amazon (hand built in Nottingham).

Remarkably it pretty much all still works just tightened the wheel cones and put a new chain and cassette on it. Have changed the bars for some horrible looking but really comfy Oxford ones and I’m in the process* of fitting full mud guards as it is now my full time commuter/shop/pub bike. Will get some pics up when it is finished.

* still in the process due to a bolt snapping in the eylet…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Show me your reconditioned/restored bikes’ is closed to new replies.