Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • show me your paint jobs from a can
  • Dazzo1993
    Free Member

dont wanna pay for proffessional painting for a 20quid frame so wanna see what people have done from a can how they did it and what they use

thwang-01
    Free Member

go on then

Dazzo1993
    Free Member

thats from a can? (pretty good howd u do it)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonb
    Free Member

By the time you've stripped it and bought the paints you could have taken it to a powder coaters. My local charges about £35 for the basic common colours. Nitromers, base, colour, laquer, couple of days would add up to more than that.

Northwind

jonb is spot on. Well, dependant on how you paint it- I'm doing my old rigid with hammerite (er, have been doing it for about a year :roll:) and that's cheap- just strip and spray, 2 cans, £12 plus about a third of a can of nitromors and a load of time of course. But that's going to be a pretty rudimentary job, though it'll look fine and it feels lovely (smooth hammerite but with a dustcoat). even that makes no sense, I'm doing it pretty much for the fun of it.

What sort of paint are you thinking of? If halfords rattlecans or similiar, you'll need primer, your basecoat and a clear, and you'll possibly go through more than one can of the base and clearcoats. Plus wet and dry etc to cut back the clear, and a polishing compound to finish. That's a minumum of £25 or so. And add to that , that even if you get a great result (which you might) it won't last, the clearcoat is soft and WILL chip almost immediately.

BBQ paint is always a good option for DIY, tough and easy to spray and has great coverage. Looks like s**t but in a good way.

mieszko
    Free Member

From this:

Than stripped:

Than painted:

Paint filed off with sand paper, than 2 layers of primer and 3 thin layers of black paint off eBay. It was supposed to be a gloss black, but probably would have to polish it a bit to be more shiny. It did take about 3 hours in total to do it all + some time for the paint to dry. All in repainted for for less than £7, but never painted a frame, probably would take more time if done by hand to remove old paint with sand paper 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Never any need to strip off sound paint and re-prime other than to be able to say " I stripped it right back to the base metal you know" in the car park/pub/s&m club etc.

walleater

Not the best of photos, but here's my clear coated Federal cruiser:

It took a while, and being clear coat, it was difficult to work out if there was any paint on the frame!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘show me your paint jobs from a can’ is closed to new replies.