Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Show Me Your On-One Pickenflick Titanium Cyclocross Builds
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

Hi All, looking at getting a On-One Pickenflick Titanium Cyclocross frameset for CX and winter duties and would like to see your builds so I can decide on what build kit I should opt for, Shimano or Sram and wheel choices. Thanks in advance.

onandon
    Free Member

Medium,
    Now fitted with a Thomson x2 stem, Reynolds assault wheels and time xc8 pedals.
    One of my all time favourite frames.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed to take a pic, sorry but mine is semi standard.
    Pacenti CL25 rims on Hope XC hubs machined to take 11 speeds. Silver hubs and spokes as black has no place on a bike except for tyres. When I bought mine in early 1014 a MTB chainset was specced so mine has a SRAM X0 one fitted. It came with BB7 brakes and Rival kit but now has Rival hydros. Saddle is an old Ti Flite.
    Its nice to ride but dull to look at so I have fluoro green tape. Tempted to add some colour to the frame.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I see On One & Planet X only do build with SRAM, shame that as I prefer Shimano but lookis like there’s slim pickings on Shimano hydraulic disc groupsets at the moment.

onandon
    Free Member

But the frame and build your own. The Planet X finishing kit, wheels and saddle etc are all shit anyway.

Northwind

It is a nice looking frame that

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m struggling to find a decent 1×11 option for my build.

mattsccm
    Free Member

That’s because its a contradiction in terms. If you want a range of gears then you end up with sodding great gaps. Front mechs were invented for a reason. Maybe something like a 44 with an 11-25, yeah for racing but otherwise do it properly.
    Where have the smilies gone? 🙂
    I have a 27.2 Chinese Ti seat pin in mine as well. Nice ride than the electricity pylon that came as standard.

Northwind

TBH that just depends on how you feel about gaps really. I tried a “proper” narrow cassette and just ended up doing double shifts pretty much all the time, it didn’t suit me at all, so I’ve ended up with a 1x 10 speed setup which I much prefer. I guess even on skinny tyres I’m still a mountain biker…

DavidB
    Free Member

I just want to ride it up hills. Don’t care about gaps.

onandon
    Free Member

I’m on a 1×11 with a 40 chain ring and 11-32. Tyres are 700/35.
    Fine in hilly areas going up and over 33mph is fine going down

DavidB
    Free Member

Shimano or Sram?

onandon
    Free Member

Sram

Speshpaul

Still experimenting with mine, only used it as a road bike so fair (80m tour de Mon being its biggest outing. Very nice.)

Interested in – Chi Ti seat posts what did you go for? looking at a Carbon cycles one.

BUT where did you get the cammo bar tape from, Serfas?

onandon
    Free Member

Charge, picked up on eBay. Bar ends are from rum bottles

Daffy

mattsccm
    Free Member

Chinese Ti?
    No idea, what ever was on Ebay.
    40 something quid. 2.5 years and its fine.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I was expecting to see someone here bought that bargain Pickenflick flat bar that went for ~£900 mid summer. If I had that sort of cash waiting to spend on a bike, I would have been all over that deal, they look lovely!

About the only box it does not tick for me, is the maximum tyre width is not that big, something like 700x40c?

swampi
    Free Member

I have vee rubber 47mm off road tyres in,no problem,clearance is tighish at the fork

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Talking to a few guys from my club who cyclcross the consensus seems to be shimano groupsets 46/36 chainset, wondering if 11-28 cassette should be sufficient, I’m used to 11-27 on my road bike. Also plan to ride the bike on the road during the winter as well as CX racing if I got a 11-32 I may spin out too much???

Anybody no of any deals to be had on Shimano CX hydraulic groupsets or will I have to buy the bits individually as stock from online retailers seem scarce.

Anymore tips and advice and build ideas welcome.

dragon
    Free Member

shimano groupsets 46/36 chainset, wondering if 11-28 cassette should be sufficient,

That’s what I run albeit on an Cannondale, fine for me, I can climb steep short to medium stuff (road) on the 46 + 28 but depends what you are used to and how fit, light and strong you are I guess. I’ve not had it long enough to do a muddy CX race on it, but I can’t imagine it not being fine. I’m not totally sold on 1x for CX

plus-one

I set mine up 1×10 with bar end shifter(as I had hylex brakes) works really well 🙂

44t narrow wide with 11×32 cassette

Yup run 45mm tyres no issue

Pic here as can’t access main Flickr site

On one pickenflick

tandemonium
    Free Member

Here’s mine. 2 1/2 yr old, as original build except wheels, LB carbon rims.

Used for local Leicestershire trails & also done some of the Adventure X sportives, Lakes Monster Miles & Grizedale Grizzly (60+ mile on/off road sportive with about 7000ft climbing) Hence the MTB double chainset to give more sensible climbing ratios. 40/28 & 11-28

Thinking of converting to more ‘Monster Cross’ build with Salsa Cowchipper bars (when I can find some in stock somewhere!!) and maybe some 650b wheels with 2″ XC tyres (similar to OPEN Unbeaten Path) – anyone else tried this on their Pickenflick for clearance?

Great bike, love it.

by bigfoot_on_a_bike, on Flickr

fatmax

tandemonium – how tall are you and what size is the bike? I’m 6’5″ and thought the XL was probably a bit too small for me…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Ahhhhhhhh was about to buy the Pickenflick frame at what I thought was £610 its now £799 will have to reconsider my build I had decided on now, I’ve emailed On One to try and appeal to their better nature, should not procrastinate so much.

dlr

Daffy: Love the red hubs etc!

Any issues with these similar to the horror stories in the near past over Ti hardtails from Lynsky etc with problems and warranties not being upheld and so on? I see On One say 10 years though for the frame

tandemonium
    Free Member

Fatmax. I’m 6’2″ with a 35″ inseam and ape like arms…… Frame is XL and fits great, would also suit someone a little taller too maybe with longer stem.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’ve ordered the frame and sourcing the components decided to for Shimano, just wondered as there are no mudguard mounts has anyone found any mudguards that work with the frame?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Did they let you buy for £610 then?

jet26
    Free Member

Heckler maybe look at Portland design works full metal fender – very nice looking and designed for non guard mouny frame – mount via qrs.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

No had to pay £799 trying to get over the pain of it, but I sold another bike to even up the odds.

Thanks Jet will check those out.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Seeing as Ive gone for Shimano 105 5800 and Ultegra 46/36 crankset I’m stuck on disc brakes wondering if the TRP Spyre twin piston calipers are worth a punt or is it hydraulic all the way if so Shimano (pricey) or are there other options compatible with Shimano STI levers?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Mudguards.
    Rear is easy. Stainless P clips on seat stays, and bridge and chain stay bridge. No paint to scratch and they look OK.
    Front. Mechano right angle bracket on caliper bolt for left stay. Right stay is a Qr type mount from Raceblade type guards. Could do this on left but the bracket is solid. Top is 3m super Velcro glued under fork. Bomb proof. I have been tempted to drill the fork crown from below especially as a bit of cable rub shows what looks like alloy there. Hmm. Got some Schwalbe S Ones to go on when the guards go back on.

The-Beard

Why did folk choose the picken-flick over the tempest?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Because the Tempest didn’t exist in Feb 14

plus-one

Pickenflick takes up to 45mm tyres 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

Yep, bigger clearance means more build options.
    And the tempest wasn’t available when I purchased my pickenflick

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Frame on the way but wondering if it comes with a headset?

onandon
    Free Member

Nope, nor under BB cable guide.

relin
    Free Member

Mine here:

Running full 105 5800, compact chainset, bloody love this bike!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Show Me Your On-One Pickenflick Titanium Cyclocross Builds’ is closed to new replies.