Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Show Me Your Nice Santa Cruz Carbons 27.5 / 29er's
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

riding with a guy last night, had a lovely lovely santa cruz tallboy LTC and it was pretty amazing, aesthetically!

dont really see that many ‘luxury’ bikes out there, and on here, so where are they all hiding?

i actually looked at the pricing on some of the build kits and they come with a fair decent spec, admittedly they are circa 5k and above but i dont reckon id ever want to upgrade anything on them

anyways, pics please!

pete68
    Free Member

Here’s my Tallboy carbon. It’s an older one at over 3 years old. Just replaced all the bearings for the first time. Fox forks, full xtr and Chris king/ stans crest wheels.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahhh thats pretty much the same as the one i saw last night bar rockshox forks

lovely lovely looking bike that

ska-49
    Free Member

Nice! What’s the weight pete?

pete68
    Free Member

Haven’t a clue on the weight,never weighed it.. No longer got the flat bars. Now has easton low rise and have ditched the bar ends as well.

timdb
    Free Member

Finished upgrading it now.. 🙂

singlespeedstu

Moving.

Rocky chute by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Resting.

29gnar by multispeedstu, on Flickr

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

forgot about this thread, not as many pics as id hoped, but they are still lovely them!

SStu – niceeee!

is it me or does the RRP of £6k actually seem quite good value in the grand scheme of things for full build santa cruz?

i mean yes they are expensive but at least the full build santa cruz actually have stuff on them that you wouldnt feel the need to swap out straight away (ie, reverb, bars, stem etc etc), i genuinely think if i had the AM one with pikes etc id not actually ever be looking to upgrade a thing on it

bike envy 🙁

wl
    Free Member

6 grand quite good value. Hilarious.

z1ppy

wl +1 🙄

at least the full build santa cruz actually have stuff on them that you wouldn’t feel the need to swap out straight away” for £6000 I’d hope any bike bought would come without requiring upgrades.

PS: Not suggesting you shouldn’t spend that much, but value?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So good we have 1 each, hers with 32’s his with 34’s. Just spent 4 days thrashing it round Rotorua, up/down/shuttles/XC/Trail/DH ate it up all day long.

wl – Member – Quote

Depends what you get for your 6k really, the starting prices are a lot lower, the Bronson starts at £3300.

Was thinking about it this weekend as I really got settled into the Blur LTc. The specs are very good for the money, they are also interchangeable. Imagine asking Spec/Giant/Trek etc to swap out for a hope BB or different drive train. Each frame can be built XC/Trail/Enduro/AM. Great bikes, the Alu VPP frame price compares Oranges.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Mikewsmith

he’s hit the nail on the head (and nice bike)

theres plenty of giant/spesh/trek 6k bikes out there that immediately i would be changing things on/upgrading

the xx1 bronson builds are 6.1k and i dont think id ever ‘need’ to upgrade a thing on it ever (other than running costs)

so to me they do seem like the best value luxury full builds out there

i know its not value per se, but if i was spending 6k they certainly look to have the best spec/value at that price bracket

smatkins1
    Free Member

Here’s my nice Santa Cruz Carbon. 26er though 😈

DSC03970

Blur LTc

fathomer

Like Mike, no big wheels, and it cost no where near 6k:

2013-08-04 by SamDexter, on Flickr

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I will also add mine (& the missus) are nowhere near £6k either but sitting nice with X0/X9, Kashima Fox and plenty of Hope bits.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

FATHOMER – Jesus that is nice, seriously serisouly nice

what is it? blur? and how did it cost no where near 6k? it cant be far off with that spec

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i must add – i dont think id ever just bung 6k on one anyways, i’d more than likely buy a frame only and build it up how i’d like it…i guess i could do it under 6k, but i bet by the time ive specced what i want it wouldnt be too far off

really am loving SC at the min

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i dont think id ever just bung 6k on one anyways, i’d more than likely buy a frame only and build it up how i’d like it…i guess i could do it under 6k, but i bet by the time ive specced what i want it wouldnt be too far off

It’s what I did but with a good deal of help from the LBS. I also brought my wheels and brakes to the party. As it’s right off the spec sheet (even for SC) I have added up a RRP rebuild and noted it down for insurance reasons…

I’d be interested to hear how the other VPP frames are doing with the CTD, my experience is it really works well in the frame (SC/Fox have got it dialled right – the CTD press test bikes when it came out were all SC VPP) someone else commented last weekend it was the best shock he had ridden (bike shop owner) but others in here rate it worse than dog crap.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just waiting for the 650b carbon Chameleon 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

dirtyrider – just trumped everyone 🙁

WOW that is absolutly lush – is that a tallboy?

did you custom build or factory build?

really really nice though!

Houns

All that money spent on the lovely bike and you put frikkin supersh*te pedals on?!

You sir deserve social bike services to come and rescue that bike from you

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yes its a custom build, had 2×10 XTR on prior to the XX1

its a Tallboy, from the classifieds here i think, forks from elsewhere and the rest new

the pedals are just a name on a generic frame

i was more interested in them being Ti Axled and Mag Bodied and being 40 quid cheaper than having nukeproof on them

i do have some of these to fit though

paulevans
    Free Member

[/url]
    Tallboy LT at Skelwith Bridge_edited-1 by N Paul Evans, on Flickr[/img][/url]
    PICT0045 by N Paul Evans, on Flickr[/img][/url]
    Tallboy LTc on Gatesgarth by N Paul Evans, on Flickr[/img][/url]
    James – Kirroughtree by N Paul Evans, on Flickr[/img]

Toasty

how did it cost no where near 6k? it cant be far off with that spec

You people are crazy with money, full price bits:

£2500 frame
    £650 forks
    £500 XT groupset, converted to single
    ~£350 wheelset?
    £50 tyres
    £200 seatpost

£1750 left over, how on earth could that have ever cost £6k 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

the worst-quality photo ever…

my two, both used mainly for 24 hour racing. (ok, only one of them is a SC)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

toasty – factor in build cost if your not doing it youself, BB, carbon bars, stem etc etc and admittedly sounds like it may be cheaper than 6k

but the 6k one has a xx1 groupset thats 1k not xt at £500 like the one your quoting the build on

it wouldnt even up being that much of a saving i dont think

and theres nothing like picking up a shiny new bike from the shop!

Toasty

but the 6k one has a xx1 groupset thats 1k not xt at £500 like the one your quoting the build on

Ahh, was it not fathomer you were talking to?

what is it? blur? and how did it cost no where near 6k? it cant be far off with that spec

XT chainset isn’t it?

£700 odd for XX1 these days 🙂 intruiged to see what X01 will go for when it’s been out for a while.

chakaping
    Free Member

SC must be laughing all the way to the Leeds.

i dont reckon id ever want to upgrade anything on them

I predict at least a dozen “what tyres for” threads.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sorry i was talking to fathomer about his bike yeh – so yeh i was saying it wouldnt cost that much under, i still dont think it would if it was full RRP for absolutly everything and factoring in if you have s shop build it etc…you would still save money mind so you are right on his spec

i did mean in general the top of the range ones (without the silly priced enve wheels) is about 6k and i reckon even building that spec (xx1, pikes, top end kit) youd still save a bit at full RRP, but i still reckon its decent enough for what you get

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

SC must be laughing all the way to the Leeds.

i dont reckon id ever want to upgrade anything on them

I predict at least a dozen “what tyres for” threads.

😆 probably yeh, although ive found a nice/strong/fast combination at the min and im sticking to it 😛

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

plus some of these SC’s build up to around 25/26 lbs

some brands like orange etc i doubt you could get near that even spending that sort of money, so if weight also factors into the price/comparison, they are pretty bloody light for the amount of bike you get

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

This is my Bronson which I’ve had for about 2 months. Enormously impressed with it both climbing and descending. “Value for money” means different things for different people, but my build was under £6k which I am happy with. I did spend a bit of money upgrading a lot of the components to Hope

Bronson by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

Bronson in Coire Mhic Fhearchair by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

IMG_0141 by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

niceeeee captain, not so keen on the blue bits myself, would have it all black with the yellow/green frame, but it still looks smart!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

plus some of these SC’s build up to around 25/26 lbs

27.97lb without really trying 🙂 There are much lighter bits that could go on there. Carbon bars, 1×10/11 drive train, bit of weight in the wheels, stick some of them silly light schwable weight test tyres on it…maybe drop down from Tech M4’s with braided hoses and 200/183 floating rotors.

People get fixated on the Carbon prices and try and compare them to Alu bikes. Saw about 50/50 Carbon/Alu out in the last 2 weekends, plus a lot of bikes with a very similar price tag.

fathomer

Oscillate Wildly – Member

Thanks, it’s a TRc, I’ve only ridden it twice but it’s bloody good.

I got the frame from the classifieds, everything else new with quite a bit of bargin hunting. As above, it’s XT 1×10 and brakes, Crest Hope Hopes and 2014 Rev RCT3’s.

Oh, and like you say, dirtyrider’s winning at the mo.

Edit: I meant to say I think mine weights somewhere between 25 & 26lb.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Mikewsmith – see most other peoples ‘non trying’ bikes still come out at over 30lbs for a do it all machine (regardless of what they think they weigh 😉 ), yes the SC frames are dearer but they do build up relatively light even with mix/match stuff on it

on a five or similar you are never going to get the weight down to 25-26 no matter how much money you throw at it

the only other bike i think looks like good value (in todays market!) is the spesh stumpy evo

but again id then be swapping out for a reverb, new wheels, bars/stem tyres and brakes etc etc and it ends up being £££ spent on getting it to what i’d like, again the stumpy evo is 4.4k so factor in those upgrades again and it’d be back upto SC carbon full build territory

xanboy
    Free Member

Here are mine
    Highball and Tallboy, Tallboy is being sold though to be replaced by either a LTC or a Solo C

Tallboy by Arvicola, on Flickr

Highball by Arvicola, on Flickr

outspoken
    Free Member

This thread is not helping me decide between a Bronson c and Tallboy LTC…. 🙄

drlaboole

Tough choice indeed!
    Here’s my LTc, excellent bike

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Show Me Your Nice Santa Cruz Carbons 27.5 / 29er's’ is closed to new replies.