Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • show me your hecklers!
  • swagger
    Free Member

hi guys,

thinking of building up a santa cruz heckler this year.
    just interested to see how others have theirs built up.

anyone care to oblige??

cheers
    joe

bella
    Free Member

Had one for best part of 4 years. One of the early frames from the current model. All the normal stuff really. Fork wise I have got a 36talas on it which is fairly versatile. Try to keep the front end setup fairly low to make the most of the travel. It would be fine anywhere from 130 to 160. Climbs well in the 100mm mode but would be a bit steep for a 6 inch bike onthe way down. It came with a RP23 which I never got on with (It is a great shock but didnt work for me on the Heckler) I always seemed to be blowing through all the travel or if I pumped it up harder had no small bump sensitivity. Swapped it for a DHX air and it is like a different bike. I am 5 foot 6 annd ride a medium with a 70mm stem and slightly layback post. Works for me. It has been used for everything from XC epics to 4 weeks in the alps. I did manage to snap a swingarm but had been doing drops upto 8 - 10 feet so cant really moan. The replacement is a different design anyhow.

Overall it is a great frame and killer value at the moment. Not as glam as a five but very similar and much cheaper. Not much to fault really.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Here’s some of mine….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jwr

Heckler Rebuilt by jwrfooo, on Flickr

Heckler rebuilt by jwrfooo, on Flickr

Mine has been built in several different incarnations. The photos above show the current spec. I’ve had RS Pikes up front as well, but prefer the slacker feeling of the Lyriks.

-j

ltheisinger
    Free Member

jwr – Member

I’ve had RS Pikes up front as well, but prefer the slacker feeling of the Lyriks.

Has it made that much of a difference? I was seriously considering a change to the Fox Talas 36 or RS Lyriks to get the extra travel??

Jeffus
    Free Member

My 2007 Heckler, had it for two years, nice bike, started with a Pike but liked the slacker feel of the Lyric, had it painted yellow, the original paint was aweful.Sold it last year 😥

jwr

Not sure how to quantify the difference in terms of angles etc, but it certainly suits my riding better. Still seems to climb OK. Of course, going from an air-spring to a coil also made a difference.

-j

Jeffus
    Free Member

Coil Back end is a must, its a different bike with the coil out back, I had the DHX-5 from new and had it Push’d awesome. the Lyric coil matched nicely to the DHX, superb ride. Only sold the bike because it was too big , didn’t realise until I rode a medium, made a huge difference to me.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Jeffus – Member

Coil Back end is a must, its a different bike with the coil out back, I had the DHX-5 from new and had it Push’d awesome. the Lyric coil matched nicely to the DHX, superb ride. Only sold the bike because it was too big , didn’t realise until I rode a medium, made a huge difference to me.

You’re not the first person to say that, about time I made some changes then – rather than changing my frame, which was the other option! Out of interest how tall are you? I have a large?

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’m 5″ 9″ , changed to a medium Nomad, swopped all the bits straight off the Heckler , had the rear shock serviced and tweaked for the Nomad set up, made a huge difference to the way I ride, still inept but not as much 😀

jonny-m
    Free Member

heres mine, built up last year, love it.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I mentioned that I was considering a change of frame – funnily enough I was thinking about the Carbon Nomad (here were go again, changing my mind as much as the Met Office!) – the Nomad is slightly longer in the top tube (and I currently feel a little squashed on the Heckler) and the seat tube is 0.5″ shorter, I figured this might help the awkward feeling I have when riding downhills on the Heckler? (Hence why I was also thinking a slightly slacker head angle with the longer travel forks may also help?). Decisions, decisions!!

jonny-m
    Free Member

does anybody use a layback seatpost on their heckler. im currently running my seat at its furthest back position and i still feel like im slipping of the back a little on the hills.

is the furthest back position on an inline post anywhere near or similar to the furthest forward position on a layback post… if that makes sense.

does any one want to swop a 30.9 thomson inline for a layback?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I was using a layback until just last week (in the pics above – black Heckler) and it did make a difference, but now I have gone for the Joplin & so I am currently looking for an extended reach thomson stem instead. I will be selling my layback when I get around to it.

jonny-m
    Free Member

let us know when your ready to sell it and how much you want for it?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Here’s mine…

I’ve risers and taken off the uppy downy seatpost since these pics..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘show me your hecklers!’ is closed to new replies.