Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Show me your fillet brazed steel
  • woodsman
    Free Member

just because 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

woodsman
    Free Member

Nice and smooth. Not heard of a Fleet before?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nobody has! 'Fleet Engineers' were a small fabricating company based up in Trimdon in County Durham where a certain Kevin Winter worked. I think he was the only guy who worked there who built frames. He left & went (i think) to Donohues in Bishop Auckland to build road frames, the company split & when I want any work doing on me frame I take it to Peter Summers at 'Fleet Enterprises' in Chilton, near Durham. It's still an engineering company & Peter's pretty handy with the torch!
    It's my pride & joy & I'll never ever get rid of it, even when/if it dies. it's now got RC 40 forks & Evolve cranks. Oh & a 'Woodsman' seatpost!

Chris_Cov_Cycles
    Free Member

Humm…..
    Qubic Bikes 853 Pro Team, Paragon slider

(Apologies if link doesn't work!!)

Chris_Cov_Cycles
    Free Member

Try again!

Chris_Cov_Cycles
    Free Member

And another

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That's nice. The Fleet's Tange Prestige & built in 1990. I reckon 853 must be a canny bit lighter. Wonder if the ride's similar?
    I like the look of the new Pace H/T in 853.

woodsman
    Free Member

Nicely made, is that a new venture – Qubic?

NewRetroTom

woodsman
    Free Member

A Scottish mountain bike – very nice!

DezB
    Free Member

I'm liking these a lot. (Except maybe the clown wheels 😉 )
    Keep em coming!

colnagokid

Top bloke Kevin Winter

slugwash
    Free Member

My 1991 Condor Diablo. Filet brazed Columbus tubing presumably from workshop of Dave Yates and re-badged as a Condor.

Chris_Cov_Cycles
    Free Member

Hi Woodsman

not new, we've been building custom steel frames under the John Atkins name for years. We changed the name of our frames to QUBIC about 2 1/2 years ago.

I'll post some more frame pics soon, just working on the new QUBIC Bikes website at the moment

Cheers
    Chris

nedrapier

rubbish pic.

nedrapier

I had a quick look on tinterweb before I posted (just to check I knew what fillet brazing was!) and found an article saying that a good fillet brazed join should be smooth with a wide feathered area to the tubes on either side.

All the frames above seem to match this, except mine. I was under the impression that Mr Dekerf knew his onions when it came to this sort of thing.

What gives?

woodsman
    Free Member

From the pic ned, not sure if that is fillet brazed or welded. Post a pic of the headtube if you can or just more of the frame?

Hip
    Free Member

Looking at your pic ned the topmost joint looks like a proper fillet braze but the lower looks like it would not need as much filler material because of the joint type, one tube inserted through the other. The strength coming from the interface of the two tubes rather than having one stuck on the outside of the other like head/top/down tube interfaces…

Does that make sense?

nedrapier

Nowhere near the bike, I'm afraid, that's an old pic I had on the phone.

anyhoo, I've done some searching, and it seems dekerf fillet braze some joins, and use TIG on others.

Please imagine the above picture doesn't appear in this thread, and please accept my apologies for the wear and tear on your retinas!

woodsman
    Free Member

Fillet brazed is looking a bit thin on the ground these days……..

nedrapier

hip, I was reading this on my phone the other day, and managed to miss your reply. I think you might be right. I'll see if I can get some better photos.

messiah
    Free Member

Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooothness!

Check out how smooth the back end is 8)

Check out Curtis frames for modern brazing – very lush.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

woodsman
    Free Member

supersessions9-2, were you at the Brighton Big Dog event?

That's my favourite bike that is!

The others are mighty fine too btw.

tang
    Free Member
    woodsman
    Free Member

Agree! I kinda put my name on the consideration list, in pencil at the mo.

CountZero

Mmmmmm, some yummy bikes here. I was hoping there would be a Robin Mather here, he's just up the road from me. Surprised no-one's put a Dogs Bollocks up; iconic fillet-brazed British hardtail. That Qubic is very very sweet, too. So much choice, so little money…

Ratty
    Free Member

not fillet brazed, but someone mentioned Kevin Winter…

Don't think there's many Winter MTB's around, this one was hand built for a youth class racer in the 90's, was silly light for a steel frame, but too small for me unfortunately.

sorry about the yellow pedals, that's how I bought it…

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

woodsman. No I wasn't at brighton big dog. Only ridden the Dyfi this year on it. That pic's a bit old now. It's looking a bit more scratched and used. Still a great bike which I love and I can always get a respray.

🙂

alexathome
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmmm Fillety, reminds me of steak. Here's mine to continue the white fillet brazed single speed theme.

woodsman
    Free Member

supersessions9-2, someone has a very similar bike(frame) to you, I thought it was you, the colour was a slightly more reddish brown, other than that….

alexathome, I do rememeber seeing your frame on his old site – I like your rm deacal, it looks like mm at a glance as in the 'Mmmmm' kinda way you opened your post 😆

Any of you two reside in the South East by any chance, I wouldn't mind a closer look and chat, if I do decide to take the plunge?

Pete aka Woodsman

alexathome
    Free Member

Sorry Peat, i live a bit further away than that now, in New Zealand. Robins works is fantastic thou, to be honest it's the only mountain bike i ride now, it's by far the nicest bike i've owned, and i've had (still got) more than a few, the detail and craftmanship is 1st class. I'm not sure what Robin's up to now work wise, but i can recomend him wholeheartedly, the whole experience was excellent from initial concept to recieving the finished frame. The actual cost of the frame is extreamly good value, it's all 853, with Pauls dropouts, the geometry and tube diameter i specified and any colour i wanted. I don't think the price was much more than a RRP Rocky Mountain Blizzard. I'll never part with this bike.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I recommend checking out http://www.demonframeworks.com for exciting tube joining techniques.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Pete. I'm based in the midlands. Will totally back up what Alex has said. Robin is easy going, open to your own involvement in the process and the finish is fabulous. And the price was quite reasonable esp considering the amount of work involved.

May be worth sending a mail and asking when he is likely to reopen his order book?

woodsman
    Free Member

Cheers guy's – just out of interest, how long did it take once you had agreed the design spec, to receive the finished item? (ss92 and alex)

nedrapier

just frintrest, the dekerf is silver soldered at the pierced tube joins and TIG welded everywhere else. Their website was slightly misleading, but at least now I know the difference!

allthepies
    Free Member

Got a Dogs Bolx in the garage, no pics to hand though.

woodsman
    Free Member

ned – still very nice though!

allthepies – you gotta put a pic of the Dogs Bolx up! I haven't ruled out Roberts for my custom frame, they are the nearest to me too.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Where are you based Woodsman?

Cliff Shrubb is in Sutton and does custom everything inc MTBs and has even made a BMX!
    I'm saving up for an MTB by him at some point
    to match my track bike based on my PA

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Show me your fillet brazed steel’ is closed to new replies.