• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by wicki.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Show me your cycle camping set up – (rack and panniers)
  • jerrys
    Free Member

I’m aiming to get away for a week with a tent later in the year on my Vaya, trying to take the minimum stuff but still be (relatively) comfortable. Not straying too far from civilisation so don’t need to be carrying much food. Intend to take small stove for coffee and stuff, plus usual 1-2 man tent, sleeping bag and mat.

I’ve currently got a small front rack i could strap some stuff too, also got a carradice bar bag which will fit on top. i’m thinking I could get away with using Carradice front/universal panniers (i.e. the 28L ones) on the back, rather than buying the bigger (54L) ones, but need some convincing before spending dosh. I figure the smaller ones would be better for commuting as well.

Anybody got a similar set up? Show us what you’ve got 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jerry, cycle camping and touring are terribly out of fashion, didn’t you know? It’s called bikepacking now. It’s so much cooler if you call it bikepacking. It means you can buy all sorts of bikepacking things, which are obviously better than camping or touring things. 😉

Bring cakes if you’re in town on Saturday, by the way! 🙂

JohnClimber
    Free Member

If you want to travel light DON’T fit panniers.
    You’ll end up carrying far too much stuff.
    Take a look at the soft luggage options from
    Alpkit
    Wildcat Gear
    Apindura
    Etc, etc….

simondbarnes

Pair of Ortlieb back roller classics and an Ortlieb bar bag for me at the moment. Will add a front rack and a pair of Ortlieb sport roller classics at some point – not necessarily so that I can carry a huge amount more, but it will let me spread the weight between front & back and give me space for food etc picked up en route.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wUhS6F]Anglesey-17[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

scotroutes

Nothing special.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cx2Ta1]P1040480[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Ortlieb panniers and a Ultimate Bar Bag.

I’d certainly consider a more “balanced” setup with four small panniers split over the two wheels as at least as good an option.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or just use the 28litre panniers he already has”

No need to spend money for the sake of it.

28litres is a fine size for a week of camping and you will be glad of the space and extra clothing when its pouring with rain as it often does.

They are 54 litres but they were for 6months and held food for 2 days self sufficiency as well as all my stuff.

I used a pair of smaller 34 litre panniers for short week long trips when i dont want to live like a tramp- ie i want to carry more than my wildcat gear bags let me.

simondbarnes

Nothing special

Copycat 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

Two weeks camping gear.

My panniers weigh 40g.

jerrys
    Free Member

Bring cakes if you’re in town on Saturday, by the way!

Any particular time, old chap?

Or just use the 28litre panniers he already has”

No need to spend money for the sake of it.

Sorry trailrat – I didn’t make myself clear. I haven’t got any panniers yet. I was debating on whether to get small or large, to go with the other luggage I could use.

TheBrick
    Free Member

rad touring

Cheap Argos panniers on rear done a few tours plus commuting at times. Small carradice panniers off eBay on front. Small rucksack and yes a cheap but light brolly! Very useful for picknick in the rain, cooking in the rain, walking in the rain…

Not a light eight setup but contains most kit for two of us. Partner only carried a few clothes and her roll mat.

Equipment wise I I think it depends on the type of holiday. Bang out the miles. Light as poss, more discomfort camping but fast progress. Poodling, maybe with less keen cyclist or just taking a fair amount of time off bike doing tourist thingss or a longer tour so will need a change of clothes and luxury or two? Will require more gear. Always aim to be as light as you can for the situation.

TheBrick
    Free Member

P.s. loaded bikes ride really well!, never ridden a bike as solid as that old MTB dh on road. Sticks like shit and flys down the road!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

My Arkose loaded up for a few days on the Way of the Roses

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any time, Jerry! #specialguestappearance

Am sure there’ll be someone there to talk to you about luggage options! 😉

jerrys
    Free Member

My Arkose loaded up for a few days on the Way of the Roses

My plan, if it comes off, is a double coast to coast – The Way of the Roses, plus part of the Walney to Whitby route (in reverse) to make a circular tour (starting and finishing by my car 🙂 )

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ Jerrys , great route mate

wicki
    Free Member

Glad to see I am not the only unfashionable tourist on a bike with my 5 x ortliebe’s.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Show me your cycle camping set up – (rack and panniers)’ is closed to new replies.