Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Show me your classic steel roadies…
  • camo16
    Free Member

So, I’ve forked out just over £100 on this steel beauty – a 90s (I think) Belgian Diamant racer, fully restored and ready to roll… 😀

Slightly worried about the fancy pedals since I’m one of the retro brigade still riding flats. Aside from that I’m chuffed to bits!

Pics are of his garden BTW!

Any other lovers of vintage steel out there?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks more like a 80s road bike.

camo16
    Free Member

Could be, al. The 14-speed indexed shifters etc and decals (I’m well into research, me) led me to think ’90s, but I’m easy either way…

mrmo
    Free Member

what defines classic???

Not that old, but I like it.

camo16
    Free Member

Classic = old (ish) and dang sexy!

Your Lemond qualifies. Well done sir! 😀

crispycross
    Free Member

1993 Pinarello Treviso, recently resprayed. The photo was taken at the top of the Col de la Croix de Fer this Summer. God does it shift down hills! 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

Ooh, that’s a beauty crispycross!

Mine, I hope, will be all over the Welsh hills come Spring!

bob_summers

Nice ^

Strangely, I have a downhill Strava KOM on this which I can’t get close to on my race bike, and neither can the local elite guys 8)

Have to hang my head in shame re. period correctness, but it’s my bike of choice for 7hr+ rides even though it carries an extra couple of kilos.

Markie
    Free Member

bob_summers

Saw this on Twitter earlier

camo16
    Free Member

Some lovely bikes on here already! The crazy paint scheme on bob’s Colnago kinda makes me wish I’d gone vintage Italian; never heard of Markie’s MKM brand. Damn, I think I might have been out niched. 😉

So… pedals. Wise guys, what the hell have I got:

And what’s the best (read best priced) shoes for this?

Any ideas?

RustySpanner

Great stuff, this is what road bikes should look like. 🙂

I’ve an older 105 square taper chainset with decent rings on it if anyone’s interested.

Love the saddles too – think we’ve had a Concor, a Rolls & a Flite so far?

mattbee

Wife’s Zini, South African 501 frame, grazed together by a SA chap called Gotty Hansen, apparently he bought the name Zini to stick on his bikes so they looked European, since proper Euro imports weren’t available in apartheid era SA. Mostly original kit inc Bipoace! Just new saddle & post, tyres, cables and an upgrade to sit so she doesn’t die swerving everywhere changing gear from the down tube…

My LeJeune. No idea of age or tubing but nice and light even in that huge size, Campag dropouts and cutaway bb shell. Built with Shimano Arabesque group set with Weinmann & Mafac brakes. Mainly sits on turbo trainer but does see the road now and again…

camo16
    Free Member

Suddenly my red/white paint scheme looks way conservative. 🙁

this is what road bikes should look like.

+1

There’s some fine looking bikes on here.

kcal

sadly I had to let this one go — bought it off a mate in 1985, he’d had it a handful of years then..

Loved the JPS style colour scheme.
    Seatpost and saddle not original, had to extract old seatpost as had been corroded in.

Vortexracing

My mate has this one for sale if anybody fancies it, £160 collected. It’s in superb condition and Reynolds 531

Untitled by eastham_david, on Flickr

oldgit
    Free Member

camo16 that’s about 1990/91 I bought one brand new. They were a frame only. IIRC Graham Weigh were selling them, mainly out of the back of ‘Cycling Weekly’. I think they were Falc tubing.

My steel awaiting paint, all the parts are ready to fit. Hannington 531 Professional

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Indy Fab Steel Deluxe. 10 years old or so. Sorry about the tyre match, and I realise the rocks need weeding.

speckledbob
    Free Member

I’ve owned this for about 30 years now and it was raced loads back in the day. I bought the frame second hand from a fella called Stan McBride who bought MKM in the early 80’s and continued to build for a few years. But Bill Whitcomb claimed it was one of his. Doesn’t get used very often now except on rollers hence the out of place computer. I’ve also got some mavic GP4’s on Campag. record hubs from the same era which were my race wheels.

Road bike by Rob Kane50, on Flickr

Markie do you know the history of your frame? There’s quite a bit of info out there about them

pondo
    Free Member

I love old bikes without really having the slightest clue about them. When the lottery numbers come up, one will be added to my stable… 🙂

velocipede
    Free Member

Just bought this…on it’s way to me now from Belgium….lucky me! 😀

OCB
    Free Member

My favorite species of bike.

This is my 1992 MBK HPF. Originally a kinda flat lilac colour, this one was powder coated lime-green a month ago (when it’s long suffering BB finally creaked it’s last). Ridden very regularly (‘cuz it’s ace). New wheels and either a green, or a blue charge spoon saddle in the new year, as that grey one is a bit dull.

It shares the road bike corner with a couple of other steel road bikes too, (Singular Osprey, and a Condor Fratello, tho’ the oldest of which is only from 2011). My first proper classic could well be a late 50’s Raleigh Lenton Marque III that I’ve got my eye on …

I_Ache
    Free Member

Here is mine. Needs a bit of work to make it look nice and to be more comfortable. It has new Sora brakes slx rear shifter and mech as the thumbies were crap and the new wheels needed a new cassette so I went with a 9spd block. I want flat bars with comfy grips a nice saddle and post and possibly a new triple crankset (I have a bad ankle). I would like to paint it at some point maybe a nice candy red or blue and do something with the lugs.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2888/9477960795_76e7ae304d_b.jpg%5B/img%5D

Oh its a 1985 Raleigh Flyer. I got it for £20 a year ago, it still had everything original apart from shopper bats and plastic brake levers. It still has the original inner tubes, crankset, bb, front shifter, mech and cable. The original brakes, wheels, chain rear mech and shifter are still in the shed just in case anybody wants to buy the lot off me.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

531c
    dura ace indexed downtube shifters.
    Lovely stuff.

oldgit
    Free Member

OCB watch out with old Raleighs. They had their own threading on BB’s and forks. The bits can be hard to source.
    My old Marque 111

camo16
    Free Member

Ta for the info, oldgit!

I love these old roadies – the Yates up there is lovely!

andrewy

I’ve had this for many years. It’s from about 1980, built as a tt bike but I’ve resprayed it, and fitted the new groupset. Still fun to ride, as long as you remember the chronic toe overlap…

OCB
    Free Member

Oldgit – Ah, thanks for that – I had missed that about them (that’s why I’ve always been hesitant about early French frames, given their penchant for ‘individual’ approaches to fork threads). 😉

messiah
    Free Member

camo16
    Free Member

Velocipede, that’s gorgeous. Never heard of Cigno, but the chrome work is fantastic.

kiwijohn

My neo retro Kona Honky Tonk.

rOcKeTdOg

lemond Zurich, originally white with world champ stripes

antimony
    Free Member

Just under 17lb of steel (and carbon forks) lovelyness

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

My Faust Coppi 1994 – new tryes, but rest original as far as im aware. Currently texting her up through winter, hate getting her dirty.

£225 well spent

tenfoot

Some lovely bikes in this thread

Not mine, but I am the long term custodian of this Raleigh.

Needs some messing with the RSX hoods and then I’ll offer my brother in law some money for it.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Now with a more appropriate Campagnolo post and a black turbo.

samuri
    Free Member

mrmo’s Lemond is beautiful.

Here’s mine.
    It was great till I snapped the BB off it.

velomanic
    Free Member

I’ve owned this bike since the 80’s when it was my sole transport. It started life as a Raleigh Record Sprint (with 501 ‘aerospace contour’ tubing) and is now my single-speed roadie.

epicyclo

1932 Sunbeam Road Racer with Resilion brakes

brack
    Free Member

1982 Roberts

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Show me your classic steel roadies…’ is closed to new replies.