Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • show me your cheap 2nd hand full sus builds >£750
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

give me some inspiration, must be cheap and second hand, and include prices paid!

so what little bargains has everyone built?

tinsy
    Free Member

Right up my strasse..

Was at £420 in this pic the only new part was a brake adaptor, but have since splashed out on a 36t ring (new), a better bashring (2nd hand), a high roller and a minion and a pair of super comfy ESI grips (new). All ready for the alps and just under the £500 mark.

Price didnt include the Hopes but did include a set of deore hydros to go on the bike they came off.

De Vinci Guzzler.

Minus adaptor.

tinsy
    Free Member

Here is the basis of really great budget Alps type build.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-specialized-enduro-frame-2006

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicsteve
    Free Member

Here's mine:

'04 S-Works Enduro frame £150 (with a knackered shock)
    Coil Vanilla shock £40
    '05 Pikes £80
    Hope Mini brakes £80
    Specialized Stem £10
    Easton EA70 bars £15
    Mavic Crossride rear wheel £30
    20mm no-name front wheel £40
    XT shifters £30
    Eskar tyres £25
    XTR rear mech £25
    XT dual plus bash £40
    M520 pedals £13 (no longer the M545's pictured)
    etc. Quite a few bits were cast offs from the original equipment on other bikes e.g the seatpost was from my Epic

Worked out the full build was under £700.

kaiser
    Free Member

> means more than btw (in case you meant < )

timbercombe
    Free Member

With a fair bit of wheeling and dealing – just under £750:

jedi

650 🙂

burmaboy
    Free Member

Picked this up last year for £700. Was ridden once. Didnt have the xtr cranks, command post, xt front and rear mech or ashima rotors or high rollers.

Did have a sweet upgraded front wheel ( hoop and ea70 bars)

Mugboo

Very impressive one an all, what frame is that Jedi?

Do your Total costs inc fixing/servicing any of the second hand wheels/forks/brakes/bearings/pads, etc?

Cos my attempts at buying second hand always seem to work out more expensive than i hoped! Ie, lots of second hand stuff is being sold because its not quite right and lots of people are a little disengenious….

slowrider
    Free Member

jedi's looks like a transition bottlerocket

ill have to take some pics of the transition dirtbag ive just built up for my brother; £360 fame and forks, £50 shock, then swapsies with parts from his old bkes and various donor bikes from friends and family. broke even once we sold what was left of his old bike too.

ampthill

Last years trek ex 6.5 ridden once. So all basicallly brand new. It takes patience but very lightly used stuff does come up on e-bay. £50 over budget at £800.

At the time you could buy them new for about £1100 but not in my size. They were £1300. This years model is £1600…

jedi

yeah its a bottelrocket.
    bulit from stuff i owned already except forks wich were new 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Nice bike Jedi

timdrayton
    Free Member

nice everyone!

> means more than btw (in case you meant < )

I have spent about 12 hours staring at some Javascript code trying to get it to work for my course question, I am < good at this…

damn damn damn

epicsteve
    Free Member

Do your Total costs inc fixing/servicing any of the second hand wheels/forks/brakes/bearings/pads, etc?

I seem to have been lucky so far, so no. Although after been using quite a lot in the few months since I got it my Enduro has just started to show a bit of play at the back so it's probably time for some new bearings etc.

hamishthecat

I am very much liking the De Vinci tinsy – sweet bike.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Well looks like i just got a new frame, fork, front wheel and stem for £400. 😉
    Ill have to see if its possible to finish it for under £350.

tinsy
    Free Member

I had to replace a couple of bearings in my suspension, not expensive but a long wait for one part, the forks I have not even touched, work OK and great condition, (though I may change the oil as I have some in the shed) a good buy at £80.. My hidden expense was not liking the 32t ring as my biggest option, and the bash ring was for a 40t or something so you couldnt get to the little cogs at the back without the chain running on the bash.. Oh and the saint hubs on it had some weird bolt for the back wheel to use an integrated rear mech, didnt like that but Superstar had 10mm QR's for under a tenner..

Rekon the bottlerocket would be nice with a coil Jedi 😉

jedi

i got a coil coming soon 🙂

Mugboo

Just got a Van RC coil off t'bay for my Hemlock, so we'll see if i have bought a 'bargain'? And if this coil club is all its cracked up to be….

colande
    Free Member

sorry this is the best picture i have of my budget fullsus
    all things were second hand except chain, cassette and gear cables
    had a couple of bits lying about as well

marin frame + fox shock + headset + seatpost £120
    forks marzocchi mx pro 120mm £80
    bottom bracket £12
    derailleurs front and rear £0 & £15
    gear shifters £10
    gear cables £12.49
    cassette £22.95
    chain £14
    cranks & chainrings £0
    handlebars and stem £24
    mech hanger 🙁 £21
    wheels deore x719 £60
    magura brakes £45
    total £436.44

brakes
    Free Member

there's a reason that Mongooses are available cheap second hand
    it's because they don't work unless you glue your arse to the saddle

timdrayton
    Free Member

i like that marin colande, nice, and very cheap

none of these stw builds crept over the £750 mark

i regeret selling the use sub fork most tho

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

It seems funny that on the main forum people are worried that they can't get a decent bike for £750, but meanwhile on the classifieds people can't get jack for their second hand gear.
    Go figure.

Coyote
    Free Member

I really, really miss this bike…

atlaz
    Free Member

I've got a 2007 Trance, Pikes, SRAM x9, Juicy 5s, raceface chainset, stem and bars and a wheelset from a Pitch all picked up from the classifieds for around 700.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘show me your cheap 2nd hand full sus builds >£750’ is closed to new replies.