Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Show me your campervans
  • spando
    Free Member

Ok folks let me have it, we will be in the market for a campervan after Christmas.Wet my appetite and lets see what you’ve got out there.

We are looking at a high top van conversion to sleep 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) Maybe a transit or LWB vw T5.

Any buying advice is welcome. We have been in a full circle from van conversion to coach build back to van conversion.

Cheers
    Andy

IHN

As always, I will highly recommend Amdro:

http://www.amdro.co.uk/index.php

By as a kit and do it yourself (I did), or let Iwan do it all for you. Top stuff.

[edit] The pics mainly show SWB T5’s, but he also does LWB/Hitop stuff.

konabunny
    Free Member

How much are the Amdro kits? Nothing’s on the website…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

Prices to fit yourself (I assume they’re current):

http://www.amdro.co.uk/catalogue.php?cPath=8

More for it to be done for you, obviously.

Can’t fault the stuff. My other half and I lived in the van constantly from April to September last year on our Europe trip.

nealglover
    Free Member

If its a small camper with lots of space and facilities, and room for 2 adults and two kids.

There is nothing that will beat the T4 Westfalia Exlcusive in my opinion.

Not cheap, but worth it for the quality and design. And you won’t lose on it providing you look after it either.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwFrEcagAFc&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

orange_c
    Free Member

You could try Leisuredrive based near Bolton

We go a VW T4 SWB van through a motability auction and then got Leisuredrive to convert it to our specification into a high top camper. Now we have a wee one, it is a bit cramped and you have to be super tidy but doable so would definitely go for a LWB.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

My ’95 T4 Westfalia California Coach. Love it.

spando
    Free Member

SprocketJockey Nice set up 😀

Some good stuff here, enjoying the research, there seems loads of options 😀

spando
    Free Member

Nealglover that westfalia is bloody fantastic would love to find a second hand one of those 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

We looked at a couple of Exclusives before we bought our SWB van. They’re obviously bigger, and I really like the rear kitchen / shower layout, but we wanted a van which could be used as a second car too and I wasn’t that comfortable with an LWB hi-top for that reason (height restrictions etc). Great vans though and like someone else mentioned, like all Westys, they hold value really well. We could probably get back what we paid on ours 4 years ago if we sold at the right point in the season. In terms of engines on the Westys, mine is a 1.9TD which is v reliable and simple to work on and quite nippy through the gears, will cruise all day at 75 but runs out of puff on steep hills without a decent run-up (bit like its driver). You’ll pay quite a bit more for a 2.5 TDi – quicker, but more prone to problems. 2.4D is OK, but a bit lumpy to drive. Don’t even consider the non-turbo 1.9D. Cost of vans varies HUGELY through the season. Just after Christmas is probably an ideal time to buy.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

VW T3 Westfalia – 2.1 Petrol.
    Brilliant van, love it.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

That’s lovely. Perhaps we should start an STW Westfalia owners club?

Anyone on here got a Westfalia Syncro I wonder?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Spando – Exclusive for sale here: http://www.campervans4u.com/vwwestfaliahightops.html

spooky_b329

Iveco Daily.

Don’t buy one, unless you need class leading towing capacity. Handles like a shopping trolley with a squiffy wheel, bumpy, noisy and thirsty 🙂 Love it though.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@SprocketJockey – I have a Westy and a Syncro – no joy in getting them to breed so far. a few mates have Westy Syncros and they do get to camp in some brilliant locations.

woffle
    Free Member

Mazda Bongo owners here

Fantastic bit of kit but on the small side compared to the VW’s or dedicated camper conversions. Hence the decent size awning / tent.

Mind you, less ££ though and we went for one as it’s more practical in terms of size – more akin to ‘normal’ cars – it’s actually slightly shorter than a Mercedes E-class estate…

nealglover
    Free Member

Nealglover that westfalia is bloody fantastic would love to find a second hand one of those

Go to Germany and buy one (they are all LHD anyway so it makes no difference)

I bought my 2.5TDi Multivan 150 on a trip to Berlin, and the paperwork side of things is very simple.
    Registering in the UK was a doddle. And no extra import tax/stuff is payable so it’s easy.

Look for the 2.5TDi engine (preferably the 150BHp, although the 102BHp is ok) As the 1.9’s don’t really have enough power for the size/weight.

You won’t regret buying one !

Stoner
    Free Member

This is my T4 SWB, aftermarket conversion by Autohaus. Bought off Clink of this ‘ere parish 5 years ago or so.

Currently in use at a pitch in the Borgogne, the power of campsite wifi, this photo taken a few hours ago 😉

It’s much as a I got it from Clink, but have added an Eberspacher diesel heater for winter trips – mainly just me, dont usually try and wild camp with the two kids in winter.

But in summer, travelling light, there’s space enough for the four of us to stay in it at French Aires etc.

2.5l Tdi, 88bhp (will live forever, it’s fundamentally the same engine as the 105bhp+ but not run ragged), I get 39mpg out of it when cruising gently. Never quite broken the 40mpg barrier. Great size for getting around small French villages, cols, and under 2.1m heigh barriers before popping the roof up.

Now with a tow ball bike rack (altera sliding thingy, ace bit of kit) that is carrying 2 adult bikes, 2 Jr ones and a trailer.

Autohaus is still going I think but now part of a bigger company. Think the conversion was just into five figures. Reimo pop up and proper rock and roll bed. 2 hib gas, waeco 12v fridge, 60L water tank and pump to basin.

And plenty of space to bring wine home, natch.

Matt_SS_xc

I’ve just bought a Peugeot boxer 2008. It will be a camper by Xmas! It’s wonderfully quiet. I can stand up on the low roof I’m 5″8. Best thing is as its wide I can sleep width ways which frees up loads of space and a bike fits width ways so I will be building a boot for 2 bikes. Highly recommended!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Show me your campervans’ is closed to new replies.