Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Show me your budget DH Freeride bikes..
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Epicsteve, i have one of those betd links i could sell.

Definitely interested – could you send me a mail and niblueATyahoo.com?

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

My Scott Octane. Cost me about £400 to build up

Since this photo was taken I've installed an MRP chain guide. Still working on the cockpit, but it rides quite nicely ATM.

Scotty (not the most imaginative name in the world) was an absolute steal, especially when you consider it's got Hope hubs and brakes

mamadirt
    Free Member

tinsy – Member
    . . . am looking at building up a very budget DH bike

Me too! Leggy/CaptainBudget – cracking builds there for not much cash .

I'm very happy with my current bikes (Intense Tazer and BMX) but need another long-term project and skill compensation is always useful (particularly now I've 'de-travelled' the Tazer). If anyone has an older 15" Stinky/Coiler/Bullit/Heckler or 14" Patriot frame (16"ers seem to be 2 a penny on ebay 🙁 ), the rougher/cheaper the better so long as it's structurally sound, you know who to call 😉

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Frame, shock and seatpost were 220 quid of ebay and all the other bits except the stem and bars came straight of the hardtail. The bars were a lone until I got some 31.8mm bars and the stem I swapped with someone for a load of spare ss bits.

Since then it's had an MRP long range patrol added, the tyres have changed and I've got some more normal bars.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Very nice! I'd love another Coiler or Stinky frame – I've had both – perfect for Cwmcarn d/h but found the weight a bit much for a do-it-all bike (I'd spec'd both with shorter travel forks to try to keep them pedal-friendly) . . . not bothered about weight this time though – bring it on – it'd be a cracking addition to the Tazer.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

bought a new-old-stock Coiler from Pauls Cycles end of 2004 for £800. Have recently bought a (used) nomad as a summer bike and just swapped all the bits off the coiler onto a 456, but am keeping the coiler frame as it owes me nothing, is a hoot to ride and has too many good memories to sell for what it'd probably fetch.

gator
    Free Member

Is this any good ? – could make a nice cheap build

It did for me in Les Gets last year

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-kona-frame-forks-with-pics

mamadirt
    Free Member

Too big for me sadly 😐 , but a damn good buy for somebody.

gator
    Free Member

This was it in it's cheap build form

Built it as my 'baggage handlers bike'

And this is it's replacement ebay for the frame and forks – the rest was swapped over – cost a little more but still cheaper than buying new

And before anybody says – that fence panel is 'the goals' for the delightful kids next door. – I'm waiting for him to treat his side – then I'll put new ones up 👿

mamadirt
    Free Member

Wow!! 😯 I love it.

tinsy
    Free Member

yup the pink bike is ovely, doesnt fit in with the bargain DH thread but nice to see anyhow… pretty much done the deal on the Kona I was offered, just need to sort out getting it home, will post some pics when I get it home..

mamadirt
    Free Member

The Stinky? Got my eye on a 15" Stinky Deluxe frame too . . . watch this space 😉

poppa
    Free Member

So are used Konas the ultimate budget DH/FR bikes then?

tinsy
    Free Member

yup the Stinky… it looks just the ticket for me.

The other bikes I liked the look of on a budget was the Scott high Octane like the nice one on here or the Scott Nitrous.

Poppa, the thing with the likes of the Stinky there are shed loads of them so more choices, also worht looking at Big Hits, but they really are a DH only bike as far as I can make out…. Not that I will be entering any XC races on the Stinky!!!

Lummox

Frame was freshly re spryayed and checked cost with shock £200

forks were £100

Other bits and bobs total £2-300

So reckon i built this from the ground up for £5-600

mamadirt
    Free Member

Here's my old one, built up pretty light (for a Stinky) with silly narrow bars . . . and silly narrow tyres. What was I thinking? 🙄

Nice 222 8) . . . bargain!

tinsy
    Free Member

mama, you was probably thinking I am riding this local and would be nice if it actually coasted along when you stopped pedalling… as ever looks another nice bike from your fold.

yup the 222 is lovely.

Lummox

you both make me smile, yes it's been me re-introduction to the joys of gravity fun.

Had an early patriot before the 222 about 9 years ago

tinsy
    Free Member

Are the dropoff forks any good?

Lummox

As long as you buy (locate) a marzocchi rebound adjuster rod they're more than good enough for a budget build, i'm 110kg and have no bottom or top out issues with the original oil in the legs, before i adjusted the rebound though i had pretty horrendous top out.

Also the 20mm axle is welcome, compared to the Qr on my previous Jnr t's

jeff

If you have access to a machine shop/lathe, then I have a 2003 Stinky frame that might be an option.

The original seat stay has a crack, but I have a replacement set from CRC. There are no spare 03 Stinky seat stays available any more, so this is from a different Kona, but the replacement is the same length. However the stay is wider at the top than the original.

So… if you are up to making 2 wider spacers for the main rocker pivots, and a wider set of mounting hardware for the top shock bolt then happy days! I had planned to get this done but have never got round to it.

If anyone is interested in taking this on, get in touch and I'll send some photos to show the work needed.

The shock is a Fox vanilla serviced and custom-tuned by TFT. It was the best suspension setup I've used in the alps. It was a great bike.

Taff
    Free Member

I paid £700 for this new from Halfords at an end of season sale. Sold a load of the original bits and hammered SDH to end up with it like THIS.

It then got changed to this but I got rid of it for a hardtail as I was having shulder problems then got rid of that to get back into xc

willy
    Free Member

definately got a good price on this…

how does £700 sound? and yep thats it on my sofa
    spesh demo 7 08 with a good few upgrades from the standard spec and hardly used either…
    soooo who wants my old demo 9???

dropoff

mamadirt. Deb's has to sell her Kona Stinky Primo. pics are HERE. £450 complete, or we could split it if we can find buyers for the bits.
    edit. forgot to say it's an extra small 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

That looks perfect (same size and year as my old Stinky) – if I had the cash I'd take it. How much would you be looking for to sell the frame or frame/forks?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Worth dragging this thread back to the top I reckon. So much for the long-term project 🙄 – I never did have any patience. Finished building this up at the weekend (with some parts 'borrowed' from my Tazer) and just got back from a quick blast at Wentwood . . . it rocks!

A few more, slightly cleaner pics, here.

Massive thanks to Mr and Mrs Dropoff for the frame and Dan @ oddsncogs.com for the forks . . . cheers both!

Tinsy, did you get your Stinky sorted after?

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Show me your budget DH Freeride bikes..’ is closed to new replies.