Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Show me your bikes-next-to-white-elephants photos
  • luked2
    Free Member

Well, it seems the Cambridgeshire Guided Bus is now officially a White Elephant. It's about £60M over budget, was supposed to open in January last year, there's no sign of it opening anytime soon, and legal wrangles are likely to delay opening until 2015. If the county loses the court case then we rate payers get to pick up a hefty tab.

On top of that, it is quite the ugliest thing in Cambridgeshire and doesn't even have a proper cycle path. Beat that!

It used to be just an abandoned railway line with blackberries growing alongside.

Those mudguard stays look a bit of a hazard, they could do with trimming.

luked2
    Free Member

Yes, I ought to trim them off or something, but can never actually be bothered. Idle and lazy.

gab344
    Free Member

Mines bigger than yours 😉

Don't get me wrong, as a piece of engineering it's awe inspiring.
    However from the financial point of view, it doesn't make sense, and probably never will 🙄

atlaz
    Free Member

Gab – Not sure how old you are, but as a kid over in Hessle, getting to see family and friends in Lincs was a serious mission until the bridge came in. It really kickstarted Hull again as a port too. Paying for itself, it isn't; useful, it is.

BTW, market gardener? You work along the brough/south cave section by any chance?

midlifecrashes

Apologies for shonky pic. Ladies and genderbenders I give you the Earth Centre. (Stainless steel tree at the entrance)

Maybe only around £55 million, but no chance of seeing anything useful out of that now, last used as a film set for Survivors now showing on the telly.

Edric64
    Free Member

No photos but Concorde was a white elephant .I will ride to the Fleet Air Arm museum and get a pic of 002

sc-xc

Show me your kids-who-ride-bikes-next-to-white-pictures-of-elephants-on-rocks photos

Finally!

gab344
    Free Member

Gab – Not sure how old you are, but as a kid over in Hessle, getting to see family and friends in Lincs was a serious mission until the bridge came in. It really kickstarted Hull again as a port too. Paying for itself, it isn't; useful, it is.

[rantmodeon] What really annoys me is having fiddle about with £1.20 every time I go across on the bike (the large one that goes vroom, that is) it was just about manageable when it was just a quid, but nooooooooo! some GENIUS thought it would be funny to make bikers have to bugger around with gloves and loose change. [/rantmodeoff]

Still it's never busy at the toll booths, more likely to see tumbleweed on the bridge than a traffic jam 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

In granny ring mode it musthave slipped!

pixelmix
    Free Member

Give it a few years and we'll have the mother of all white-elephants here in Edinburgh.

A horrendously expensive tram system that very few residents want, which will only serve to replace what is an excellent bus service, but will be years late (if ever delivered) and well over budget.

I'll get my camera out and take photos of my bike in the part laid tracks in 3 years!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Can't do elephants – all I can do is swans today

druidh
    Free Member

Well..

Here's my bike in this photo…

and it's beside this White Elephant

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

@ gab 344. I used to live in East Yorks but have never mountain biked there. Visiting there soon. Do you know of any good trails up on the Wolds or anywhere? TA.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Show me your bikes-next-to-white-elephants photos’ is closed to new replies.