Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Show me your bike hanging solutions?
  • Daffy

New garage door is being installed on wednesday, can then tackle hanging the bikes.

What do you do?

honourablegeorge

3 big wall fixture things from B&Q through a length of 2×4 into the wall.

Park tool hooks into the 2×4, hang bikes, job done.

Sundayjumper

Plastic-coated hooks screwed into the joists. Alternate the bikes up/down. Not very hi-tech but it works.

andyr
    Free Member

5 of these at varying heights for all our bikes. Fit everything from roadie to 29er with big 2.35″ tyres on.

sazter

Got a hanging rack for 6 bikes from Ben Cooper on here last year, workshop type, it’s brill, my bikes and spare tyres all neat and hung up… in my bedroom. Yes I live alone. 😉

chvck
    Free Member

Pretty much this but big nails hammered directly into the brick (they were already there when I moved here!) with lengths of inner tube over them for protection.

Northwind

I can’t show you but we’ve got an ancient car roofrack attached to the garage roof with big hooks, which makes for a perfect saddle hooky hanger thingmy (and also stores tons of random bits of wood)

Tracey

Seven on the back wall using Decathlon hooks

stumpy01

‘Scuse the funny angle, B&W and high contrast….it was a photo/day image….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/krcmvP]13-10-20 DSCN5261[/url] by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

I used some fence timber with a 45deg. face in it (from Wickes) mounted to the wall to put the hooks into, so the bikes hang at an angle, and don’t stick out so far.
    But, in a single garage they still stick out too far so will probably replace with those long bike hooks that can store two bikes and have two leant up against the wall, facing in opposite direction, with two placed above on a pair of hooks….

I keep debating some kind of pulley system to hang the bikes upside down by their wheels, then pull the frame up so it lies horizontal to the rafters. Think it will be too much faff to ever bother using though……

clunker
    AlexSimon

If you’ve got the height to hang them on the wall, I found it more space-efficient in my particular space to do that.
    Two rows two columns and 2-bikes deep = 8 bikes and much more interior space for manoeuvring/working/etc.

I used these, but will replace it with something I make instead soon.

MoreCashThanDash

At last some ideas to avoid the sticking out too far issues. Couple of ideas I can use, cheers.

stumpy01

AlexSimon – Member

If you’ve got the height to hang them on the wall, I found it more space-efficient in my particular space to do that.

This is what I want to do with mine instead of how they currently are in my pic above.

AlexSimon, can you tell me where you got those hooks from?

Nobby

Plastic-coated hooks screwed into the joists. Alternate the bikes up/down. Not very hi-tech but it works.

This in current garage as they were there.

Previous one I had an alloy scaffold tube the full width of the garage, screwed into the joists (at right angle to them) and simply hung bikes by their saddles in alternate directions. It acted as a reasonable anchor point for locking them to too.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I use those large plastic coated hooks. The shed is wooden (log cabin style so fairly sturdy), so I don’t want the whole weight of the bikes (6 on hooks), hanging from the wall or ceiling. I set the height of the hook for each bike so that the bulk of the weight is on the floor then the front wheel is hooked into the hook which is screwed into the shed wall. Seems to work.

nickc

slight hijack. Is there anyone using a non fixed solution? some of the leaning ones, or stands? I’m in rented accom. and they don’t take kindly to having holes drilled in the walls for bike hooks.

thetallman
    Free Member

Fixed a couple of screw in hooks into the wall, then rested a 2″ diameter steel aerial mast in the hooks and attached the bike hooks onto stainless steel rings. This allows me to slide bikes out of the way of each other.

AlexSimon
    granny_ring

Nice one tallman, wouldn’t work in my shed but that’s a good idea.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

How about this, Just been talking to a joiner about adapting it for proper bikes

[/URL]/]

richmtb

Hanging them parallel to the wall would be more space efficient but Brand X hooks are strong and cheap, with four screws straight into the wall stud they aren’t going anywhere.

wwaswas

If you screw those big hooks into the rafters in the garage you can hang the bikes at a 45 degree angle to the wall and get more floor space.

richmtb

If you screw those big hooks into the rafters in the garage you can hang the bikes at a 45 degree angle to the wall and get more floor space.

But how would I get them down again without a ladder?

thetallman
    Free Member

richmtb – Machine Mart floor tiles?

wwaswas

But how would I get them down again without a ladder?

it depends but if you hang them by the back wheel you only need to be able to hold the head tube and a bit of the down tube or top tube to lift the back wheel high enough to hook it in. I tend to take the front wheels off to leave space underneath too.

stumpy01

AlexSimon – Member

AlexSimon, can you tell me where you got those hooks from?

I bought them from this ebay seller.

Cool. Cheers FOund them online, but they are cheaper from that eBay site. Will be getting one of those ordered, I reckon…

wwaswas – Member

I achieved the same thing by sticking bits of timber into the wall that had been cut to 45deg (it’s a type of fence timber, but can’t remember what it’s called – I got it from Wickes). See my pic above.
    But, while it did save space, it wasn’t as much as I had hoped – should have done it first with a trial run.

nickgti
    Free Member

I have mine hunk right up in the rafters on plastic coated hooks I have opened up slightly, it’s high up but allows me full space underneath.

I’m going to use something like this for the bike I don’t use as often and get it right up in the rafters
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-PULLEY-HOIST-BIKE-LIFT-CYCLE-STORAGE-RACK-LIFTS-UP-TO-20KG-BIKE-/330953135918?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

AlexSimon

Cool. Cheers FOund them online, but they are cheaper from that eBay site. Will be getting one of those ordered, I reckon…

The only think I found is that the spacing between the prongs was a little wider than necessary and both bikes I’ve hung on it have ended up being hung by another bit of the frame. (under the seatstays on one bike and under the downtube on my CX bike).
    ymmv

richmtb

richmtb – Machine Mart floor tiles?

“Rolson” Floor tiles

£10 a pack from Halfords

wombat

it’s a type of fence timber, but can’t remember what it’s called

It’s called Arris Rail

wwaswas

It’s called Arris Rail

I spent years thinking there was supposed to be an apostrophe on the front of that to substitute for the dropped H.

stumpy01

AlexSimon – Member

The only think I found is that the spacing between the prongs was a little wider than necessary and both bikes I’ve hung on it have ended up being hung by another bit of the frame. (under the seatstays on one bike and under the downtube on my CX bike).

Hmmm. I did wonder if this might be an issue. It will be to hang a 2010 FSR and an Inbred, so quite different frame shapes. I don’t really mind if they hang wonky, so long as I can get them to both sit OK.

Any idea on the arm spacing? ❓ 🙂

stumpy01

wombat – Member

It’s called Arris Rail

That’s the stuff.

wwaswas – Member

It’s called Arris Rail

I spent years thinking there was supposed to be an apostrophe on the front of that to substitute for the dropped H.

Definitely sounds like there should be, doesn’t it!?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

thetallman – Member

Fixed a couple of screw in hooks into the wall, then rested a 2″ diameter steel aerial mast in the hooks and attached the bike hooks onto stainless steel rings. This allows me to slide bikes out of the way of each other.
    Oooo I do like this solution, wish I had thought of it as getting bikes out is a pain with them as close as I have them.

D0NK

How about this, Just been talking to a joiner about adapting it for proper bikes

if you could stick doors on all those triangular sections and use em for storage it’s a cool idea, otherwise it’s wasting a lot of space.
    “Proper” obviously have much wider bars and ime just tend not to lean up against walls aswell as road bikes, see how you get on.

Missed out on getting one of these freestanding ones for the spare room (dunno how long I’ll have bikes in there so don’t really want to be drilling holes), anyone know of others?

<edit> after a 30second google I’ll rephrase that, anyone know of others that aren’t £150?

cbike
    Free Member

Two big hooks in the wall near ceiling, positioned 20 -30cms apart.

Front wheel off, bike is hung from handle bars and forks rest against wall (pad) cantilever style.

mav12
    Free Member

donk they had them stands in aldi iirc they were £30

mogrim

I’ve tried hanging bikes from the front wheel / hook on the wall, but it’s always a bit of a pain to get them down – at least compared to the horizontal two-prong hangers. I also prefer to have disk-brake bikes horizontal, not sure if it’s really that important but…

Northwind

mogrim – Member

I also prefer to have disk-brake bikes horizontal, not sure if it’s really that important but…

Depends how badly you’ve bled your brakes really!

richmtb

Depends how badly you’ve bled your brakes really!

🙂

I was actually checking mine the other night while hung up, and guess what one of them definitely needs bled!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Show me your bike hanging solutions?’ is closed to new replies.