Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Show me your bathrooms!
  • redwoods
    Free Member

Looking online for bathroom inspiration just seems to throw up pics of mansion-sized rooms with views of the ocean and walk in showers the size of our entire first floor … so I’m hankering after pics of real bathrooms used by actual people 🙂

We’ve got a weeny bathroom we’re looking to overhaul so looking to keep everything as light and bright as possible without it being all clinical white and glossy.
    It looks like we’re going to get a mate in the trade to make us some fitted furniture to utilise the space – but we’re undecided whether to have white fronted units and a sort of dark grey worktop or creamy coloured cupboard fronts with a sort of browny worktop. No idea what to do about colour of wall tiles (guessing white or cream) and floor (which is going to be vinyl).

😯

aP
    Free Member

Worktop? In a bathroom?

big_scot_nanny

sorry about the size of the picture, my camera phone isn’t too good.

This is the “family” bathroom, the most used in the house.

Onzadog
    Free Member

aP, what else goes on the top of fitted furniture? They make them about 350mm for bathroom. It doesn’t have to be a 900mm breakfast bar robbed out of the kitchen.

redwoods
    Free Member

Some kind of middleground between that one and the likes of this nonsense would be good.

konabunny
    Free Member

We’ve got a weeny bathroom

Rough dimensions?

Do you need a bath?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Id be wary taking out the bath. You might not use it regularly, but could make the house a lot harder to sell, imo. (especially to a woman 🙂

sockpuppet

I’d be wary taking out the bath. You might not use it regularly, but could make the house a lot harder to sell, imo (especially to a woman).

or to anyone with kids

flip
    Free Member

Rip out the bath, we don’t have one anymore they just take up acres of space.

konabunny
    Free Member

fight! fight! fight!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d be happy to get rid of the bath. Especially as I’d be banned from washing bike stuff in a new one but the OH says there will be a new bath so, there will be a new bath.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

+1 for never removing the bath – it will put off loads of people from buying the property.

clubber
    Free Member

No pic to hand but we’ve just fitted an attic bathroom which is very small but useable – it’s 2.5m x 80cm internal dimensions – has a toilet, sink, radiator and shower. Can provide more details if it’s of any relevance

peterfile
    Free Member

If this exciting thread hits 100, i’ll post a pic of mrs peter file in the bathroom 😀

clubber
    Free Member

Well I think that guarantees a healthy response 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Need a wider angle lens really.

Anyway, vanity unit made from Ikea kitchen carcass and work top, same as in my kitchen and utility room. Couple of drop in basins. Bristan taps and valves – really solid feel.

Bath has an overflow filler and a mixer valve on the wall. Looks nice. Massive bath so that I can fit in when I do want one (once a year usually) 1800mm I think – Im 6’4″.

More importantly a nice big walk in shower. Which gets used everyday.
    Only problem with the shower is the half door – when you get a good hot shower going it convects cooler air round the door and up past your goolies. Fully closed doors would prevent that.

(EDIT: and if anyone can guess which side of the vanity unit is for Mrs S and which for me, they get a jelly bean 😉 )

peterfile
    Free Member

Well I think that guarantees a healthy response

he he, i’ve actually got one of her on the toilet. Not sure how wrong that is. She looks so happy and relaxed though, I like it 🙂

stumpy01

My sister’ house has a small bathroom, and they looked at getting rid of the bath. In the end, they settled on a short, deep bath. I can’t remember what it was called now (sorry not much help)…
    It’s a bit like this one….
    http://www.bathstore.com/products/pool-acrylic-bath-1500-x-700-1592.html

richc
    Free Member

I had one of those ikea worktops in my last house and it really, really didn’t like getting wet (it would swell badly) so I would be interested to know in how that holds in your bathroom.

Another cheap options it to get a large piece of slate tiling (you can get huge ones, that are around 2 1/2ft wide, and 5 ft long) and cut holes in that for the basins,and polish the edges up. Last bathroom I did was like that and the slate cost around £40 from Mandarin stone and was big enough to fit to basins in and have plenty of space around them, all you need is a hole saw and a few hours to polish it up.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If this exciting thread hits 100, i’ll post a pic of mrs peter file in the bathroom

Wasn’t someone fervently stalking her?

4 more posts and we’re a quarter of the way there…

redwoods
    Free Member

It’s tempting to remove the tub completely (especially after being forced to have nothing but baths for the last 3 weeks since the shower had to be taken out of commission … the shower weeing into the wall is the reason we’re having to redo the bathroom in the first place) but I know it could be a make or break thing when it comes to selling, so it’s staying (and Onzadog won’t be taking dirty bike bits anywhere near it!)

Dimensions are 2.4m by 1.7m and 2.4m tall, so pretty titchy.

Thanks for the photo matzzz. That shaker style of unit is what we’re looking at having ourselves so useful to see it in situ with tiles and stuff.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh and I’ll post a picture of me in the bath if it doesn’t get at least half way there…

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s one of me in my bath on my flickr IIRC….

I’m designing my bathroom just now, will post up pics when done. Going for casadeco “fish” wallpaper

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Al – can you give me a link to that please?

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

The units were from MFI before they went pop, they are readily available from other sources as ours is now 7 years old, the bath / shower combo was a good idea as it meant keeping the bath and a shower also , the tiles are a copy of some limestone ones I wanted until I found out they were going to cost 2 grand !

wwaswas

Did mine recently – went for a shower bath as we didn’t have space for a separate shower;

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s all personal preference, obviously, and I don’t like to rain on anyone’s bathroom, but a shower-bath seems like the worst of both worlds.

wwaswas

Main reason was it retained the bath for the kids but gave some additional elbow room when stood in the shower.

It’s the length of a normal bath but with a 6″ extension at one end.

Not sure why that’s worse than a normal bath with a ahower over it?

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Same as waswas although yours is square mines circular I don’t see a problem it being the worst of both worlds, very deep and great for a soak the only issue I can see is if your are unsteady on your feet as its tall to get over but being as this is a bike forum most peeps should be able to swing a leg

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s all personal preference, obviously, and I don’t like to rain on anyone’s bathroom, but a shower-bath seems like the worst of both worlds.

Your solution?

Not sure why that’s worse than a normal bath with a ahower over it?

My thoughts exactly. Shower/baths solve a common problem for us plebs with small homes that don’t have room for a bath, shower and a gold-plated bidet.

richc
    Free Member

I guess you could put a shower some of your bathrooms and a bath in the main one. Thats what am intending to do anyway….

peterfile
    Free Member

I used to have 3 large bathrooms (all with showers and baths) in my previous house. Now I have one small(ish) bathroom with a shower over the bath. Can’t say it’s having a materially negative effect on my life/well-being 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Mine looks like the showers at a festival. 😥

redwoods
    Free Member

Oooh wwaswas, where did you get your showerbath from?

That looks to be the exact same one me and ‘im have our eyes on. And just out of interest, how well do you find that shower screen for keeping the splashes contained? Onzadog was concerned that it didn’t really looked like it gave much coverage and we’d need to put in some sort of additional screen…

wwaswas

It’s from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/bathrooms/web-exclusive-bathroom-offers/web_exclusive_bathroom_suite_offers/Cooke-and-Lewis-Adelphi-Shower-Bath-Pack-R-H-11087509

although we didn;t get the pack thing.

their delivery was pretty poor, tbh – took them 4 attempts to deliver 10 items – they either forgot stuff or damaged it en-route. So I’d make sure you’re not on a tight timetable or that you’ve got all the kit before you start.

Having got it all it seems to be decent kit and all went together ok. I’ve never fitted a bathroom before and bar the plastering and electrics I did the whole job myself.

the screen is fine for catching splashes. I’ve fitted a glass panel over the window recess as that side was less protected – got it made to size at local glass shop and got the metal channel off the web – cost about £75 in total.

sorry for crap iphone photo and marks on the glass;

spoon
    Free Member

Wooden bath ?

Obviously not mine !

AndyP
    Free Member

two sinks Stoner? wtf?

robh

Thinking of a shower bath when I get mine done, currently get a small shower cublcle and a small bath, think this would make the room seem larger.

redwoods
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing your the B&Q experience. We had our kitchen supplied and installed by them a few years back and I can honestly say it was one of the worst experiences of our life (almost made it to the small claims court!) and we swore never to have anything to do with them again.
    However the years have passed and our memories have faded (!) and I’m ashamed to say we’ve been toying with the idea of getting our stuff from B&Q this time round as they’re currently having a sale and of course their prices are so much cheaper than everything else we’ve looked at. We were thinking that perhaps just getting them to supply the stuff we wouldn’t have so much of a headache, but you’ve just confirmed that it would be no different whatsoever (we had nightmare delivery problems too) so balls to that, frankly.

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Show me your bathrooms!’ is closed to new replies.