Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Show me your adventure bikes
  • tommid
    Free Member

I’m not looking for a debate on bike marketing terms in the bike idustry, I want to see your bikes that take you on long journeys on mixed terrain, not just a thrash around the trail centre or down the DH course.
    I’m looking for inspiration for a new bike (new to me).

rOcKeTdOg

well i’d post a pic of my fat bike as i do just what you describe, but i’m thinking you are expecting something else.

Bregante

Strictly speaking it’s a cyclocross bike (Kinesis Crosslight Pro5) but it’s the closest I have. Over the past week I’ve done two extremely muddy woods rides and a 47 mile road/bridleway ride. It has no guards, no rack mounts and cantilever brakes. I’m planning to do the C2C on it this year. It cost me the grand sum of £240 off here and it suits me down to the ground.

NormalMan

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    well i’d post a pic of my fat bike as i do just what you describe, but i’m thinking you are expecting something else

Pretty much this.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bikes that take you on long journeys on mixed terrain

Oh, go on then.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Not the best pic but my Peregrine after a bothy trip a couple of weeks ago.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C9SBWi]20151212_123349[/url] by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ Nipper99 …same place 2 years ago

Now use this for my adventures

to do this

tommid
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg no, as I said anything. I’m torn between a fatback and a cx bike.

rents
    Free Member

[/url]IMG_20150615_111651353_HDR by rents2, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMG_20150904_095740584_HDR by rents2, on Flickr[/img]

Kona Minute! I bought this a few years back to take my lad about with me and since then it has become the #1 bike in my stable.
    Its good for everything. Club runs, chain gangs, touring, gravel roads and the odd bit of singletrack (with the little’un)
    I commute on it everyday all year round and it never lets me down.

firestarter
    Free Member

I have this

And this

Both very different in every way but both a great deal of fun

boxelder

as I said anything. I’m torn between a fatback and a cx bike.

I use a CX bike or Cotic Solaris, which now has B+ wheels. For Lakeland/Scottish mountain trips I reckon the B+ hardtail will be ideal – many of the advantages of fatbike (traction, cushiness), but lighter. For more roadie adventures, 29er wheels with narrower tyres will be pretty close to the CX (drop bars aside).
    What about a Genesis Longitude or similar?

johnnystorm

Tommid, with your record Pugs, Wednesday or Straggler. 🙂

motorman
    Free Member

burko73

Firestarter- what guards have you got on that lovely shand? What size tyres are you running? Looking for some for my cotic escapade.

scotroutes

There’s this
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oWhLF2]P1010490[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
    I no longer have this
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/o2CPrf]Calm morning on Loch Spey[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
    I definitely still have this
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/e1HthU]P1050319[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
    I’m selling this
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/BjmgRK]IMAG0204[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
    I’m keeping this forever
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/5kocrg]PICT3465[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
    and now there’s also this
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/B1TTXf]DSC_0332[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

My point (if there is one) is that you can have an adventure on almost any bike 🙂

somafunk

firestarters mudguards are PDW Full Metal Fenders, I have them on my Tripster as below

xyeti
    Free Member

Stumpy_M4, is that the Coast 2 Coast on the Trans Penine Trail ? Thats on my to do list for 2016.

firestarter
    Free Member

They are 45mm pdw guards and tyres are 35mm conti cx speeds

onandon
    Free Member

This was the initial set up. I’ve now changed to a shorter stem and layback post to get the weight over the back wheel.
    Surprisingly fast and comfortable, but also capable on and off road.

Gearing is 36 – 11-25 soon to be changed for 38 – 11-28.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

xyeti – Member
    Stumpy_M4, is that the Coast 2 Coast on the Trans Penine Trail ? Thats on my to do list for 2016.

which pic ? .. the top pic is the dam at rhayader , i was riding back from aberystwyth to birmingham , funnily enough i found out after, its also part of the trans cambrian route as well , which ill do later this year
    the other 2 pics are Way of the Roses, 170 miles from morecambe to bridlington so yeah a coast to coast

jam-bo

It’s just like a normal bike, with stuff attached.

dknwhy

Go with your heart op. As Scotroutes says, you can have an adventure on any bike.
    I’ve got a cx, 29er, full suss and road bike. The cx sees the most use and is perfect for most things but I’d sooner be on my 29er for routes like the Cairngorm loop etc. The cx is great for touring on road and mixed routes like Sustrans tracks. The 29er is just as capable but slower…

cookeaa

Sort of adventurous.

xyeti
    Free Member

Stumpy, Just Googled Both the way of the roses and the TPT Southport to Hornsea, i’ts the TPT i think i have foolishly agreed to do, in 2 days.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

xyeti – Member
    Stumpy, Just Googled Both the way of the roses and the TPT Southport to Hornsea, i’ts the TPT i think i have foolishly agreed to do, in 2 days.

Oh Dear 🙂
    Edit , just looked at the route … 2 days !! 🙂

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I did have a genesis fortitude adventure

Parking spot with a view by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

Then I changed it for a genesis longitude (that was awesome)

Believe it or not I’m carrying a lot less this time! #bikepacking #microadventure @apidura by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

I’ve done a couple of trips on my Tripster, though they were more roadie in nature

Tripster ATR by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

But I’ve sold three of my MTB’s and bought a Travers Rusty, which is the best mix of my longitude and my sync. I’m doing the Tour Divide this year and this is going to be the beast for the job. Incidentally I’m raising money for cancer research, Jenn inspired me to do it and gave me loads of great advice, if anyone wants to give me some extra motivation my justgiving page is here: https://www.justgiving.com/jim-tom-tour-divide

DSC00514 by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

Black grips, merry Christmas! by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

Just wired up the electronics on my @traversbikes #rusty to make sure it’s all working for the #bearbones #bach2bach #bikepacking event next weekend. Flashing lights means it’s all good 🙂 @use_exposurelights #revo #cinq5 #plug #spdynamo #BarYak by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

First proper outing will be at the Bear Bones Winter Event next weekend…..

thomthumb
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pSUdeB]IMG_0545[/url] by thom1984, on Flickr

big heavy tyre mode.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wggryr]IMG_0780[/url] by thom1984, on Flickr

in touring mode.
    every time i post a photo i say must take another.

finners

hummerlicious – whats the frame bag on the Fortitude?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

That was a Uraltour, great value finners. I’ve had a custom Alpkit one made for my new Travers, it seems a little more robust.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Lazy link (still much the same today except has XT thumbies, Spesh BG seat and Schwalbe Land Cruisers atm)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/touring-bike#post-6216464

paule
    Free Member

xyeti – Member

Used my kafenback to ride that route in 21 hours last summer. Superb ride, and the bike worked a treat. No pics on my phone, but I’ll try to put some up tomorrow. Email me if you need tour help.

xyeti
    Free Member

Paule, thanks, I will take you up on the offer of assistance. Mostly in the form of route guidance around the back of Liverpool towards Halewood as this area seems to be a bit misguided, spoke to a few people recently ALL of whom got lost in that same area.

We looked at the route and made the decision that we could definitely do it in 20 hrs, Man maths dictates when we actually get on the ground we can achieve it in 30. It looks a cracking route and mostly off road.

I think I’ll start a seperate thread

paladin

My merlin malt is my tool for pedalling of into the sunset…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Looks like my bike doesn’t fit in to this marketing niche 🙁

But it’s the only bike I have and I have adventures on it

montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve had some interesting trips on my bike over the last 7-8 years, although I’m not sure they qualify as adventures. It started as an Inbred frame, bought to ride through Scandinavia and Eastern Europe to Istanbul.

Following a respray and extra braze-ons, I eschewed full pannier loads for subsequent trips (this is 3000m up in NW China):

Ditching shredded panniers, these days I’m pursuing a lighter approach, enabling trips such as an offroad LEJOG this summer.

johnnystorm

Montgomery, I think it’s fair to say your rides feature on the ‘adventure’ scale. 😀

montgomery
    Free Member

I don’t, tbh. I’m wary of using terms like ‘adventure,’ Over-use of words like ‘epic’ cheapens them and deprives them of meaning. What is ‘adventure?’ It’s not a relative term. To me, an adventure must involve significant time, commitment and risk, with no bail-out options possible. Something should go wrong which you then have to solve. If you’re able to maintain a blog while doing it, for instance, it’s probably not an adventure…

johnnystorm

I’m kind of in agreement, hence putting ‘adventure’. In the context of riding off tarmac being an adventure, your rides count. The snow picture is great BTW.

piemonster

I think we all realise it’s not adventure in a ‘Lewis and Clark’ sense. But I think you can cut a little slack, it’s a pretty healthy outlook to have on life to travel about by bike and explore places new to you.

But let’s face it, it’s perfectly possible to make an unsupported trip pretty much anywhere on the planet and still fill in a blog. It’s only really when you add in a high risk activity that ability stops.

Fair dos on “epic” mind you.

piemonster

Anyway, more all terrain travel bicycles of various configurations please!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Show me your adventure bikes’ is closed to new replies.