Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Show me your 456 summer seasons…
  • grumm
    Free Member

Seriously tempted to get one of those new colour 456 summer seasons – mainly cos I like the funky orange. Just wondering how people have got them built up?

Thing is, I have a Pitch and would sort of like a hardtail as a bit of a contrast to that. Is the Summer Season gonna be too burly? Kind of imagining it being fun for trail centres and arsing about on jumps etc, plus little local loops.

Especially interested to know what forks people are using – I'm guessing something like U-turn Revs would be perfect.

devs
    Free Member

Don't get one they're pants. The new orange ones are particularly pants. Stay away. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Mugboo

I got one to replace my 456 because it was like my Hemlock. Makes swapping between the two easier.
    Running 140mm Vans which are lovely but i have to work hard on the steep stuff, although part of that is that i'm trying to persevere with flats..

grumm
    Free Member

DeVs – screw you buddy!

Mugboo – got any pics? 🙂

When you say work hard on the steep stuff I take it you mean uphill? Was wondering how it is for climbing.

dennis25
    Free Member

I was wondering the climbing ability too ❓

john

Wasn't the idea of the summer season to be a bit like the normal 456, but getting the slacker angles with shorter travel forks? Doesn't that make a 140mm fork maybe a bit long?

STATO
    Free Member

Doesn't that make a 140mm fork maybe a bit long?

It still rides fine at 140mm, like most bikes though its easier for climbing if you make the front end lower. The only issue is the handling as the slack head angle can make it a little bit of a handful at slow speeds.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Mugboo's Summer (16") was mine and this is what it looked like at the time with 140 Pikes:

He's painted it and made it look all pretty now 😉

Personally I found it a little wandery / flip-flop steering at 140 on steep climbs etc. Was better at 120 / 130 mm for climbing and general riding. Wound the forks out for max' skill compensation when descending 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Oooh that's purty!

Also wondering how much they weigh? Not too bothered but something a bit lighter than my Pitch might be nice.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Weight is ~5.8lbs. Not light!

devs
    Free Member

DeVs – screw you buddy!

Honestly, move away from the Summer Seasons. Some ****t keeps leaving this one around my property.

It has made my other bikes gather dust. I think it would look rather nice as a SSSS (singlespeedsummerseason) whilst one of those orange babies got the gear treatment built up nice and slow over the winter ready for the ahem summer season..

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

They're not particularly light, but that's probably not the point. It's no anchor though.

It isn't like-for-like (on price at least) but I much preferred my Dialled Alpine. But hey, (not that I paid new price) it's a couple of hundred quid more.

grumm
    Free Member

Well I bought one – orange in 14" which I fear might be too small but we'll see.

Thing is, I wasn't really intending to buy a new bike, and it's already gonna be tricky getting all the bits for it, so the cheapness was one of the main reasons I got it.

devs
    Free Member

Bollox. I appear to have just got the Orange in 20". She's gonna kill me.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

My Summer Season. It is heavy (but then my other ride is a Turner Flux) but it makes the perfect 'mess around in the woods' bike. It creams down anything technical or steep with awe inspiring ease. I'm running 120 – 90mm up front but almost all the time I leave them at 120mm.

grumm
    Free Member

Nice.

Also what height/size do we have going on here? Went for a 14" (I'm 5'7 and a half) to be more 'chuckable' but I'm worried it might be too small now. 😐

pitduck
    Free Member

it"ll be fine my brothers got a 16 and he"s 6ft,1 😀

mybike
    Free Member

Got up stairs lane on it but it did include zig zagging, wheelering & swearing 😀

Mugboo

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2493/3846007146_d99ba8d430_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3481/3845215647_95ac896415_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/3716171226_90682c91e2_b.jpg

Grumm, yes i mean't climbing although as Mybikes says, its been up Stairs lane so don't climb bad and its worth it wandering a little up hill for its stance everywhere else.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Mine lookes like this:

but will be rebuilt SS with 29e front wheel and rigid On-One CF forks. Why? Why not!

BlobOnAStick

Hey Stumpytrek what the hell size is that frame? 48 inch?!!

I've never seen a handlebar touch the lintel of a door before……

grumm
    Free Member

it"ll be fine my brothers got a 16 and he"s 6ft,1

Cheers that makes me feel better. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Off sick from work and bored 🙂

Hope you don't mind me bastardizing your pic DeVs

devs
    Free Member

Yowsers! It's gonna have Hope M4s and 180/203 floating rotors but otherwise it will look something similar. All I need is a seat clamp and some lock ons and I think I have everything – except the frame of course. Ta for that, looks good and you must be really really bored!

grumm
    Free Member

I'm not good enough at photoshop (or bored enough) to put on M4s and floating rotors sorry. 😉

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Anyone running 100mm forks?

Mugboo

ahwiles
    Free Member

don't be daft oo00oo, the summer season was designed to have a nice slack head angle with 100/120mm forks, so obviously everyone ignores this and slaps in a set of 160mm forks.

i do wonder how many of the longforksonnahardtail massive actually use all their travel,

i'm telling you now, short forks on a slack hardtail is the new niche within a niche outside a niche…

CheesybeanZ

Olly
    Free Member

avast, grumm, you got one then 🙂

im going for 150mm Z150s, which shoiuld give a head angle around 67 i think.
    the head angle on a Zesty is 68. and is great descender.

i also have eta on those forks, so will be able to push down to 80mm travel, with a flick of a switch, so im hoping climbing wont be too much of an issue, though going for a primarily "battering back down again" build.

pretty sure ill be using all of that 150mm too :p

cant wait 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Head Angle with 5in fork 66.6°

So you'd probably get more like 65° Olly with those

short forks on a slack hardtail is the new niche within a niche outside a niche…

Wow, that could mean I'm on trend for once!

grumm
    Free Member

Yeeeah I got one! Just trying to work out what forks to put on it – what's a good tough 120mm ish fork that's not really expensive?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Marzocchi DJ1 from a few years ago.

Olly
    Free Member

it could be a bit of a boat then!
    we will have to see.

Olly
    Free Member

i would go for old dirt jumpers.
    you can get "better" forks, but they are slimmer (bams etc)
    DJs are tough as hell, a bit rough and ready, but you wont break them!

grumm
    Free Member

What years are we talking about here? Are new ones rubbish?

Olly
    Free Member

the older the better i think would be the way to go with marzocchis.

03-05 ish

possibly find they top out a bit readily as they are DJ forks, but i solved that on mine by replacing hte 7.5wt oil with 30wt oil 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

i recon a set of coil Tora's would go really nicely with a summer season.

steel frame, steel stanchions, steel springs.

slightly heavy and a bit basic maybe, but you'll be able to pass it onto your grandchildren!

snowslave

Olly
    Free Member

can someone convince me 150mm forks are a good idea please.

ooOOoo has worried me (suprise suprise)

giant glory DH has a 65 degree head angle.
    cooooool

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Show me your 456 summer seasons…’ is closed to new replies.