Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Show me your 456 evos, please!
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve ordered an 18″ 456 evo 2 frame and will be building it from the bits from my old (and broken) frame.

In order to whet my appetite further, I’d love to see what other people’s builds look like!

I’ll be running 130mm recons on it, which I think will perfect. Not as ‘choppered’ out as 150-160 forks.

Cheers

dannyh
    Free Member

Oh go on, please!

I’ve still got 48 hours until I can get my mitts on the frame and start building……..

paladin

Can’t show you one cos I’ve not ordered it yet, but I’ll be ordering a 16″ raw evo soon. Its going to be wearing my current 100mm solo-airs initially, until I decide what fork to go for…

stripeminister
    Free Member

I’ve had 16″ for 3 weeks now….absolutely love it, defiantly an improvement on a standard 456, rides down hill more confidently but will still climb up hill if you want it too… And the clear laquer looks so much better than it does in On Ones photos… Currently running 150mm Revs up front.
    Since I’ve had it its done 1 week in morzine and 1 week in Sainte Foy with The White Room Chalet, and today’s ride round llandegla…. It’s definatly the perfect bike for the alps, it was awesome fun embarrassing people on their full sus down hill big boy bikes….

johnhe

Cool bike.

dannyh
    Free Member

Stripeminister.

Nice, very nice!

If you don’t mind me asking, how tall are you? I’m 5’11” so the 18 should be ideal, although I’ll probably end up running a shorter stem (I’m going to start with a 80mm 17 degree rise from my old bike. I can roll the bars back a bit though as my previous bike was a bit short, so I’d rolled them ‘on’ a bit to add some reach.

I have cleared the decks, cleared it with the missus to have the stand in the kitchen on Tuesday night for the big build up.

I can’t wait, my previous frame cracked a fortnight ago, and I haven’t turned a pedal since.

yunki
    Free Member

it was awesome fun embarrassing people on their full sus down hill big boy bikes….

that makes me miss my old 456..

stripeminister
    Free Member

DannyH, I’m just under 5’10” I’m running a 50mm stem (would have been 60mm using my old stem but I cut the steerer a tad too short so had to get a low stack stem – DMR Defy…) and 785mm wide bars.
    To me feels perfect, but I haven’t ridden up many hills with it in this set up, I’ve mainly been on lifts and in land rovers….
    What frame did you have before, these 456’s seem almost indestructible, this ones had some serious abuse since I’ve had it…

dannyh
    Free Member

I had a genesis core, bought as a complete bike back in 2009.

To be fair, I went to that after being on a GT avalanche medium. Now that really was way too small, but I knew bugger all about sizing when I bought that!

The genesis was my only bike and it got ridden twice most weeks. I wouldn’t claim to be a brilliant rider, but I chucked that bike over and into some rough stuff at what felt like a reasonable speed, so it didn’t owe me anything. I do remember it shrugging off a rock hit that severed the gear cable under the downtube without too much bother. It eventually cracked on the right seatstay on the outward bend that accommodates the tyre, not at a weld.

Anyway, the bike is dead. Long live the bike.

yunki
    Free Member

It eventually cracked on the right seatstay on the outward bend that accommodates the tyre, not at a weld.

how come you didn’t get it welded back together..?

dannyh
    Free Member

The core is an alu frame – I didn’t think you could weld cracks in those(?)

core

You can if you know someone who can tig weld…..

But probably always be weak after, unless you shaped some material to slide inside tube to reinforce it.

yunki
    Free Member

ah, that’ll teach me to skim read threads and post self righteous nonsense before I’ve even had a cuppa in the morning.. 😳

pickle
    Free Member

Stripeminister……that raw one looks great! might end up getting one of these and hanging up my C456

dannyh
    Free Member

No worries yunki!

Core – I have heard of TIG welding, but realistically, I just don’t think it is worth it – especially when I was finding the genesis a tad short, had had it for nearly five years, and was already looking to use this as an excuse for a new frame!

Plus I’m not sure I’d trust a welded aluminium tube – obviously high-grade steel actually hardens with heating, and steel has a much better tensile strength, so I would trust a welded steel tube – but I think the welded alu tube would play on my mind to the point where I would be holding back on my riding.

Anyhow, the new frame arrives tomorrow or wednesday (I made a slight cock-up on my ordering instructions that may have delayed it).

Also, I have to say the Planet X / On One staff are brilliant – they really do seem to know what is going on with your order at every point, even when you have messed them about like I did!

mangatank
    Free Member

Titanium Evo. Best bike ever 8)

[/URL]

[/URL]

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Titanium Evo 2? Is that a new model?

How is it different to the first one? Sounds interesting.

mangatank
    Free Member

Oops! There is no Ti Evo2.I made it up.

mangatank
    Free Member

dogthomson

I’m 5’11” ride an 18″ 456 Evo with a 50mm stem and find it fits perrrfect.

Great frame!

_tom_
    Free Member

stripeminister that looks great! Thanks for tempting me to consider selling my just finished Chameleon for one 😆 what are they like for having fun on or are they too stable/planted for proper fun riding (ie taking down the proper jumps rather than trail centre style jumps etc)?

winch
    Free Member

what are they like for having fun on or are they too stable/planted for proper fun riding (ie taking down the proper jumps rather than trail centre style jumps etc)?

I don’t think stripeminister will mind me posting this up in answer to your question. The 1st rider is me, the 2nd him.
    We’re both novices at the jumping game but I’d say it jumps ok 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Winch where was that filmed? It looks great fun.

pussywillow
    Free Member

stripeminister – Member
    I’ve had 16″ for 3 weeks now….absolutely love it, defiantly an imprIvement on a standard 456, rides down hill more confidently but will still climb up hill if you want it byo… And the clear laquer looks so much better than it does in On Ones photos… Currently running 150mm Revs up front.
    Since I’ve had it its done 1 week in morzine and 1 week in Sainte Foy with The White Room Chalet, and today’s ride round llandegla…. It’s definatly the perfect bike for the alps, it was awesome fun embarrassing people on their full sus down hill big boy bikes....

Looking at that second pic, your at the top of serpentine, in which case is far from a proper downhill mate, the riders you overtook riding down there would have been begginers and hardly worth the bragg, still it’s good that your enjoying the bike, maybe see how it fairs on some proper downs, I think you’ll find your podium place changes too! 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Pussywillow in hornblower shocker

stripeminister
    Free Member

Thanks pussy willow for your compliments, it means a lot… Yea the serpentine is a fun run, but you will also notice that the photo was also taken at the top of ride humble, which is a much more awesome and fun run, you should try it some time when your next out there or maybe you need to remove that tree out your c*** 😉

cmd205
    Free Member

Here’s mine.

14″ in Raw running 140mm Fox Floats. Rides very well – possibly quicker than my old Orange 5 but it’s hard to tell as this gives a much more exciting ride at what could be slower speeds. It certainly feels fast and I have no problem beating my mates on their Orange 5’s up and down.

hora
    Free Member

Will On One be making another flexy-ti version of this?

winch
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bZYuM1tsh8

Winch where was that filmed? It looks great fun.

LLandegla skills area. 1st time I’ve been there and had it pretty much to ourselves 🙂

pussywillow
    Free Member

stripeminister – Member
    Thanks pussy willow for your compliments, it means a lot… Yea the the serpentine is a fun run, but you will also notice that the photo was also taken at the top of ride humble, which is a much more awesome and fun run, you should try it some time when your next out there or maybe you need to remove that tree out your c***

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

I was just giving you some mtb education, far too many on here think they know it all when in fact they know probably less than **** all! 😆

dannyh
    Free Member

A (very pissed off) update on my build.

I got the frame today and was really excited to be building it up. Then noticed (on trying to put the rear wheel in) that the frame has, probably, transit damage and the gear hanger has been bent forwards about 1mm. This has closed the dropout to the point where I can fit neither a hope pro 2 standard qr end cap, or an old-school 9mm axle into it.

I was halfway through the build up as well. I am not happy. I am absolutely certain I have not damaged it myself.

I am hoping that if I drive to Rotherham on Saturday morning, something can be done and I can leave with a new frame, or have it fixed.

This is a 2 hour round trip for me, but I am so desperate to have a bike I am willing to do it.

Planet X customer service has been brilliant so far, I just hope that is going to continue!

As Blur once said “this is a low”.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would just bend it back. Shit to have to do that to a new frame but if I wanted to ride I wouldn’t care for long.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yeah, but that’s not the only problem, the left side dropout is also too tight, so probably needs filing out as well. I am not keen on this kind of stuff on a brand new frame!

The drive side bb thread also won’t accept the bb cup I have, although this could be due to the cup itself, so I’ll not push that.

Here’s hoping something can be done. I can’t go another week without riding.

stripeminister
    Free Member

DannyH I’d be tempted to just get a hammer/moderately sized rock/any other suitable heavy object and bash it back into place…. Once it’s riding you’ll have forgotten that you’ve even had to do that…. Did you go for the Raw frame or the painted option?

I’m only messing Pussywillow, I don’t think I was really challenging Danny Harts Time on my attempt at the Champery Downhill run, still was good to try it to make you realise how big his balls actually are….

Edited now I’ve seen your latest reply DannyH, sound like too many problems to start bashing your frame with a rock… My BB threads were really tight, I think there might have been some lacquer that got sprayed on to the threads…

dannyh
    Free Member

Whacking it would sort the hanger side, but I’m not sure how to do the other!

I went for the painted option, and it looked bloody marvellous, which now increases my pissed off-ness.

Edited too!

Nope, I’m just going to have to get up early on Saturday and doorstep planet x I’m afraid. They’ve been excellent so far, so I am hopeful.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The drive side bb thread also won’t accept the bb cup I have, although this could be due to the cup itself, so I’ll not push that.

I think that is a ‘feature’ of On Ones, I had this with the 456 that I had. I ended up forcing both cups in with a lot of leverage. I thought for ages that I had cross threaded them but they went into my next frame fine so it must have been the 456 that was rubbish.

Kuntoilija
    Free Member

I had to use some force to get rear wheel sit properly in drop outs first time, because of too thick surface of lacguer. Now rear wheel is easy to remove or put back.

dannyh
    Free Member

Update.

I spoke to Planet X today, and they seemed alright about this, in fact they seemed as pissed off as I am about the likely cause of the damage, namely the couriers.

They suggested photographing the damage etc, but when I said I was bringing it in person, they said someone would be able to swap it for me on Saturday morning.

The slight glitch is that they don’t have mechanics in on Saturdays, so any headset pressing will have to be done elsewhere, at my expense, of course. A small price to pay, though.

I’ll be taking my wheel and some brand new bb cups to make sure any replacement is ok!

So there’s still an outside chance of a ride at the weekend, but I’m not getting my hopes up to have them dashed (again).

As an extreme measure, if I can’t fit my wheel into a painted frame, I might opt for a natural finish because I think the lacquer plus paint is a contributing factor to the tightness of the non-damaged left dropout.

On unbuilding the frame, I have found that I have not even damaged the paintwork with the seat clamp etc, so Planet X really have no cause to refuse me a replacement! From speaking to them, I am pretty sure they aren’t going to stitch me up anyway.

Wish me luck.

winch
    Free Member

I’m sure it’ll be fine. As will whacking the headset in with a bit of wood and a mallet. Good luck!

dannyh
    Free Member

Cheers Winch.

Three weeks off the bike is starting to make me a bit of a miserable git, I even got cautioned (albeit in a jokey way) about my language in the office today!

These non-bikers, they’ll never understand!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Show me your 456 evos, please!’ is closed to new replies.