• This topic has 51 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by pdV6.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Show me your 26" hartails that resemble gates or have silly amounts of post out.
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

This is mine, 20″ Kona, looks ridiculous but rides really nicely. I’m ot sure whether to go 29er, I’ve been debating in my head for a while now. Just wonderered if there any other similar bikes out there or has everyone gone 29er?

timc
    Free Member

how much post showing?

wwaswas

does this count?

ton

this is gatelike……..so i ordered a new 29r last night.

ton

it too will be gate like.

ken_shields
    Free Member

A carbon gate 😀

tarquin
    Free Member

But a smaller frame is more flickable and better for the downhills aparantly! 😉

After riding road for a while, getting back on my 20″ Boardman just feels really cramped up.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not that silly, but a fair bit..

Bregante

What did you go for Tony?

wwaswas

All that advice about steel hardtails yesterday obviously worked 🙂

jimthelad
    Free Member

Now in a SS rigid guise, still the same amount of post showing though.

mattjg
    Free Member

My PushMePullYou

bigyinn
    Free Member

How much seapost have any of those bikes got below the TT / Seat tube junction? I bet its not 2-3″.
    Broken any frames recently?

teadrinker
    Free Member

Mine is on the limit, still has plenty in the frame.

smartay

At 6’4″ and 20″ frame always have seat post on limit. Find the longest post only just do the job

ahwiles
    Free Member

ugliest bike ever?

i’m only 6’1″ish, and the saddle wasn’t quite high enough when i took that photo…

anklebiter101
    Free Member

How’s this?

I’m about 6’2″ and that’s a medium Soul frame.
    Amazingly, the post still has plenty in the frame before the min. insertion marker. God bless Thomson and their 410mm posts!

Retrodirect
    Free Member

another dmr, minimum insertion. Loved her.

ton

Bregante – Member

on one. cheep and cheerfull 😀

j40aja
    Free Member

My old carbon hardtail 21″ frame and I’m 6’4″.

wwaswas

anklebiter101 – I thought cy specified a maximum seatpost out of the frame dimension too?

awhiles – you need a bike that’s got the right size frame 😉

anklebiter101
    Free Member

@wwaswas – You’re correct, Cy does specify a min. insertion of 100mm no matter what your post says, but in my defence it’s not always up quite that high. The picture was taken right after a 5 mile road section I ride to get to the forest near my house, so it gets wedged up that far for the tarmac bit and then dropped when I get to the dirty bit.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    ugliest bike ever?

Quite possibly, yes… 😉

teadrinker
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered one of these

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/charge%20cooker%20rigid%2029er%202012/mountain-bikes/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/44512

I have no need for Suspension at the moment, if I’m happy with it I’ll pop all my current set up on to it except the wheels of course, hmmm now what new wheels to get?

roverpig

Not too silly, but I guess it still qualifies. Tried a 29er but can’t see what the fuss is about. I’ll keep looking though 🙂

jet26
    Free Member

OP have gone 29 after riding 26 with massive seat posts. First bike ever that feels ‘right’. That said doesn’t quite feel as chuck able but maybe still getting used to it (Solaris)

teadrinker
    Free Member

OP have gone 29 after riding 26 with massive seat posts. First bike ever that feels ‘right’. That said doesn’t quite feel as chuck able but maybe still getting used to it (Solaris)

That’s what made me change, mine fits and is fun on the downhills but something just doesn’t feel right. I don’t think it suits my style of riding nowadays. Most of the time my forks are on lockout and I can’t but help but think I look silly?? I’m looking forward to having a rigid bike again, will hopefully pick up the new bike in the morning.

will
    Free Member

Then got a 69er as well with a long seatpost…

Then got a 29er, which also has a long seatpost…

ahwiles
    Free Member

awhiles – you need a bike that’s got the right size frame

twas the biggest they made.

fortunately, i’ve a new frame arriving soon…

(suitable for man-size, exploding wheels)

gonzy
    Free Member

how about this one…there’s over a third of the seat post still in the frame….its a monster 425mm long!!

teadrinker
    Free Member

how about this one…there’s over a third of the seat post still in the frame….its a monster 425mm long!!

base Bikes – wasn’t that something to do with Jamie Tomkins? Wahtever happend to Jamie and Pete?

mattjg
    Free Member

In terms of handling, ‘chuckability’ is the big win of 26 over 29, everyone says so so it must be true. But then I thought about it some more and realised I don’t use the chuckability, that ‘goes where you pointitability’ is quite handy too, and bought a 29.

Who needs to chuck bikes about? BMXers, trials riders, full-on DHers. Not me.

Euro
    Free Member

20″ 456 SS. Doesn’t look so gate-like from this angle. Seatpost in fun position, goes up about 3-4 inches in serious mode. I’m 6’4+ with a 34 inside leg. Some of you guys must be all leg judging by the height of the posts. Freakin’ freaks!

bol

Gate:

Replaced by too much seatpost:

Replaced by 29er.

Long legs and short body do mean that I’m most comfortable with my arse in the air though.

clubber
    Free Member

My Pace had a lot because it was a 19″ really though the TT was the right length (but it broke…)

My RM on the other hand really was a 19″ that I got silly cheap and despite being too short (by about 1/2″) I loved it – probably still my favourite bike – but it broke too 🙁

a couple more 20″ bikes of mine

messiah
    Free Member

Killed it 😥

messiah
    Free Member

Lesson not learned 8)

james
    Free Member

actually a (budget) mtb. my slicked up 21.5″ gate:

and post showing aplenty:

When my last FS frame broke last, I opted to put the bits onto this ‘play’ bike instead of my XC hardtail. Was fun downhill, though with blurred vision at speed, it was so slack it still felt completely stable despite saddle fully up
    Uphill it was very cramped, even with 90mm stem ..

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nice socks James… 😀

james
    Free Member

Not me/my socks

A friend of mines ‘solution’ to trousers vs. a big chainring ..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Show me your 26" hartails that resemble gates or have silly amounts of post out.’ is closed to new replies.