Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Show me your 22 lbs – 10kg FS bike?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Preferably in 120mm fork with reverb dropper post? I just want to know changes you have made. Cheers

tomhoward

22lbs for an fs bike with a reverb and 120mm is a tough/eye wateringly expensive ask!

matther01
    Free Member

Moon on a stick surely?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

That would take some going…

Just built a 29er Anthem in small for the Mrs with V.Light kit on it, XX1, carbon rims etc and it came in at 10kg on the nose. Think trying to get a dropper in the weight confines would be next to impossible without spending a lot of money of silly light fragile parts.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id hate to think how much a 10KG full sus with dropper would cost to put together.

My rigid, HT, SS only just gets under 10Kg.
    9.6Kg, 21.1lbs
    Titanium everywhere, stans rims, XTR hubs, Middleburn cranks.

choppersquad
    Free Member

There was a Yeti asr5c on eBay recently and although I don’t think it had a dropper, the seller claimed it weighed 20.5lbs!
    Sounded incredibly light to me.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Kinda wishful thinking that i am asking then.. I don’t know how to edit title, so please can you show me your 22lbs 120mm fork FS bike without a reverb post?

I’m looking for an idea of what drivetrain you have used. That drops significant amount of weight..

jobro
    Free Member

My Turner Czar weighs 22.8lbs. With 100 mm Reverbs and no dropper post.
    Apart from putting SIDs on it (which I wont) I seriously doubt I could get it any lighter. I have chucked the proverbial money bucket at it!

Drive chain is Next SL with 32T workscomponents ring,XTR clutch mech, Saint lever,XX 10-36 cassette

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?category=fsbikes

The fact that there’s so few on Weight Weenies tells you how hard it is to do!

bol

Xx1 or any 1x will drop weight, XX if you need 2x. You’ve got to go everything light to hit a really low weight though – rotors, tyres, bolts, cable housings etc. From experience unless you’re willing to regularly replace and/or compromise rideability, some things aren’t worth lightening.

tomhoward

Most would have xx1 at a guess, but again, I guess, if you had 1×10 xtr/XX, with a new raceface next carbon crank, and what ever the lightest spider/NW chainring setup was, you’d be saving a fair chunk of weight off a standard groupset. Not to mention your wallet

I think njee20 had a trek 9.9 that was hovering around 20lbs, no ability to attach a dropper though as it had an seat mast rather than a traditional setup.

tomhoward

Looking at the WW list, all those are at least 10 years old too, back when folk valued lightweight over being able to ride the thing on anything more than cobbled streets at anything more than walking pace….

onandon
    Free Member

A few members have Xc race bikes which would be under that weight. I’ve a cannondale scalpel with sram xx 1×10 gearing and mavic SLRs. It doesn’t have a dropper but that would only at 200 ish grams over the current post.
    The wheels aren’t the lightest so more weight could be dropped.

Sometimes chasing weight loss is a waste of time. You can lose huge chunks of weight by swapping tires, but ultimately you’ll have a bike that lighter but much much slower due to lack of grip in the corners etc.

Whay do you want to build this bike? What’s it going to be used for ?

njee20
    Free Member

My Top Fuel was 20lbs, but only 100mm and no Reverb. You could do it, but I’d question whether the spec would be appropriate for a the sort of riding which necessitated a Reverb.

oliverracing

I’d question whether the spec would be appropriate for a the sort of riding which necessitated a Reverb.

I think this hits the nail on the head – are you going for a weight weenie sub 10kg full sus, or something that you can thash without fear of breaking?

AlexSimon

I’m surprised this is so hard.
    Afaik Canyon are reasonably accurate with their weights and they list this as 10.7kg (23.5lb) with a dropper.
    Going tubeless and 1x would surely get you close.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3188#tab-reiter2

njee20
    Free Member

No pedals. So you’re trying to lose 2 and a bit pounds. If it’s an accurate weight, then XX1, Next SL cranks and some lighter wheels would probably do it. Not exactly cheap though.

njee20
    Free Member

Double post.

AlexSimon

Not exactly cheap though.

No, and if you were to try and DIY it instead of buying from Canyon, it would probably be even more.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I seriously doubt that Canyon weight too.

from the elite racer boys I know, Steve James of Hargroves Cycles has an S-Works Epic set up pretty damn light with no visible porky components and it runs at 22lb (10kg) dead. Paul Oldham from Hope Factory Racing has a Scott Spark 900 SL with full factory works package, everything drilled out, made out of alu where possible and again is 22lbs dead.

Both of these guys weigh less than 70kg and ride super smoothly at World Cup level. I’d not want to ride a sub 22lb bike for long.

njee20
    Free Member

Both 29ers of course, going back to 26″ does get you a bit more back. The World Cup S-Works Epic 29 is 19.62lbs without pedals, but again, not a trail bike by any stretch of imagination.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

If i can get my small asr5c to that canyon claimed weight (pictured above) would be ace.

Iirc the cube stereo hpc is around 22lbs as well right?

schmiken

This is 10.3kg – Scott Spark 20, Hopes on Crests, X0 drivetrain, XTR cranks.

Ive now changed bars to wide flat ones, which has bumped it up to 10.4kg.

njee20
    Free Member

You got the wrong bars then 😉

Mt Zoom 710mm flat bars are 117g.

Trimix
    Free Member

It would made an interesting test – how light is too light for mountain biking. Proper mountain biking that is. Where you thrash round say a red route trail center and perhaps race your mates down some sketch as f*** cheeky trails.

I too was surprised at the age of all those light FS bikes on WW. All way old. So frames and components have not got lighter. But thats not surprising.

We have not invented another new, ligher, stronger material plus people are expecting to do more with their bikes now.

njee20
    Free Member

It would made an interesting test – how light is too light for mountain biking. Proper mountain biking that is. Where you thrash round say a red route trail center and perhaps race your mates down some sketch as f*** cheeky trails.

Seen a WC XC course? A hell of a lot tougher than any trail centre red I’ve seen.

MrNice
    Free Member

Seen a WC XC rider? A hell of a lot lighter than any trail centre rider I’ve seen.

Edit: they’re usually a lot more skilful than they’re given credit for too

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Seen a WC XC rider? A hell of a lot lighter than any trail centre rider I’ve seen.

I dunno, I’ve raced quite a few World Cups…..

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve got a SC Blur XC which weighs about. 22.5lb. It’s mostly XTR, tubeless Stans, SID World Cup, & Ritchey WCS/Controltech finishing. I always think that the bikes going to bend & go snap on me….it never has, it took the 7 day BC Bike Race in its stride..

To get it any lighter though….hmm….would be an exercise in burning £50 notes I think…

It’s a far more fun bike than it has any right to be..!

teasel
    Free Member

Edit: they’re usually a lot more skilful than they’re given credit for too

You’ve clearly never met Njee. The guy’s very hard to keep up with on a bike I’d probably break by thinking about swinging a leg over let alone actually sitting on it.

Without doubt, the quickest rider I’ve met.

maxtorque

The problem is that you rapidly get into the law of diminishing returns.

Knocking a kilo off a 15kg bike easy, but knocking just 300g off a 10.3kg bike, a LOT harder!

Basically you get to the point where you can’t make any particular component any lighter, what ever the cost, so at that point you need to start removing parts completely.

So, a single speed, 1by short travel FS that’s under 10kg is do-able, but what would be the point? Might as well go rigid as well at that point……

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive often wondered if you can notice say 1 lb in the real world. If my bike weighs 35 lbs and I weigh 85kg and probably carry a 3kg camel back – that costly saving of 1 lb is unlikely to be noticed.

That 1 lb is less than 1/2 a % of the whole weight.

I grind slowly up hill anyway, so even less chance of noticing it.

Never mind 300g !

tomhoward

I went from a 35 pound bike to a 25 pound bike, so still only 5% of total weight. Believe me. You notice. Like going from a quick car, to a hypercar. You notice the weight lost from a bike (or camelbak) much more as it’s dead weight because It doesn’t actively contribute to propelling you. That’s why electric bikes font feel so bad when they are powering along.

adsh
    Free Member

My merida 96 is 9.85 with xtr 1×10 with 40t, hope race brakes, stans podiums, ordinary sids, kcnc post and stem, mt zoom flat bars and rons 2.25 front 2.1 rear. Nothing particularly WW (Gobi saddle, xtr pedals, not very light tyres, no weird cables etc). Light = good for climbing but can be nervous elsewhere though that might be more to do with geo.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Seen a WC XC course? A hell of a lot tougher than any trail centre red I’ve seen.

Trimix was in the one of the first group of punters allowed to ride the unsanitised london olympic XC course. Most of the group were on 150-160mm full sussers and couldnt clean all the techy rocky sections. He’s not questioning the ability of WC riders but the average Joe who buys bikes and posts on STW…

jamj1974

I’ve played with builds previously that took bike weights to below 22lb for hardtail and 24lb for FS. Admittedly this was some time ago but I felt there was quite a bit of compromise then in ride-ability, confidence and the fun-factor too. The bikes felt less planted and more skittish, although climbing performance felt significantly better. I’m not sure I would build up a hardtail at sub 24lbs or a FS at sub 26lb for that reason.

teamslug
    Free Member

My merida ninety six weighs 21.5lbs. Sram 1 x 10. Would struggle to get it much lighter and still feel confident it wouldnt break. Its very skittish downhill. Had a Mojo Sl that weighed 23.5lb and that was too light. Put some weight back on it and it transformed the ride.I guess what i’m saying is that unless you have the skill ( of which I dont have enough) keeping an uberlight bike underneath you is hard work.

njee20
    Free Member

He’s not questioning the ability of WC riders but the average Joe who buys bikes and posts on STW…

But then I don’t understand his post, it was about the bikes not the riders? A 20lb FS bike will be absolutely fine being thrashed around a trail centre red, the suggestion was that they’re only good for stuff that’s not ‘proper mountain biking’.

scotroutes

Thrashing around a trail centre isn’t proper mountain biking anyway….. 😉

zoo200
    Free Member

A 22lb bike would be useless to me as in 6ft and 16 stone how heavy is the op?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Show me your 22 lbs – 10kg FS bike?’ is closed to new replies.