• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by will.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Show me your 1 X 10 setups!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

pretty please! looking for some inspiration as ive got all the bits and am about to tackle setting it up this weekend!

gone for a xcx ST and hope 32t! looking forward to using it and saving a bit of weight and less hassle cleaning!

honourablegeorge

kayak23

1×9 but whats one ring….
    X9 Mech, 12-34, 32t front, Superstar Plasma guide.

tinsy
    Free Member

OW How did you get on with the seat positioning? (was you wasnt it?)

Yeah it was, I have just seen your post on the saddle setting thread.

Glad it worked out for you..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi tinsy – yep advice of all in that thread helped, i probably would have just left it and been uncomfortable had i not started that thread!

it seems pretty much perfect now, just took a little time to get right, worth it in the end though! so thanks again 8)

nice pics above – very nice! looks so simple, effective, clean lines etc!

btw anyone, when it says you have to put the ring on the middle ring to get the best chainline im guessing that means on the crank arms where the tabs are, you position and tighten up the ring onto where effectively the 2nd ring would sit on your cranks on a 3×10? never taken the cranks apart so not to familiar with it?

will
    Free Member

1×9 but you get the idea.

11-32 cassette
    36T ring
    Superstar XCR Chainguide
    Ultegra shortcage mech

Stevelol
    Free Member

12-36 sram pg7 or something cassette
    30t Extralite front chainring
    Straitline serrated bash
    Blackspire stinger
    (Unpictured) N-Gear jumpstop – chain would occasionally drop under repeated compressions

jono84
    Free Member

Not something Ive looked to far into but i own a anthem x with a press fit bottom bracket an no tabs for any form of chain device how do you get around this to keep the chain on, also comming from 3×10 what sort of gearing do you lose top an bottom? i generally dont use my granny but do use the big ring on the road down hill etc also what sort of weight savings are gained? i understand you loose your shifter,cables,mech an two rings but them chain devices an bash guards dont look over light? Cheers for any light shed

njee20
    Free Member

Only a l’il picture, as I can’t get onto Flickr for the proper one!

36t custom ti chainring (stupid 88mm BCD on M985 cranks), XTR mech and 11-36 cassette, Superstar XCR chainguide with homemade seat tube mount.

I really like it!

andybloomer
    Free Member

Would this work….

One of these on the inside
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17283

one of these on the outside
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5357

One of these in the middle
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80578

Thanks in advance

kayak23

jono84 – Member
    Not something Ive looked to far into but i own a anthem x with a press fit bottom bracket an no tabs for any form of chain device how do you get around this to keep the chain on

Pivot make an adaptor plate which clamps right onto the bottom bracket shell. Looks like a good solution for these stupid designs…for the sake of adding 3 little tabs..
    Click Click

i generally dont use my granny but do use the big ring on the road down hill etc

I use quite an easy combo of rings, a 12-36 at the back and a 32t at the front. This means I can winch up the hills, and frankly, pedalling DOWNhill is not something I’m into… 😀
    Mind you, I don’t normally find that I spin out..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I went belt + braces with a full chainguide (straitline silentguide), but then my reasoning was ground clerance rather than any weight loss or reliability issues, I just wanted an extra inch clearance under the BB.

will
    Free Member

I thought i’d spin out, but with a 36T up front I’ve been ok so far.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Only a l’il picture, as I can’t get onto Flickr for the proper one!

36t custom ti chainring (stupid 88mm BCD on M985 cranks), XTR mech and 11-36 cassette, Superstar XCR chainguide with homemade seat tube mount.

I really like it!

njee looks like how my setup (although ive paid a stupid amount for an e13xcx st one 🙁 ) ….do you ever drop the chain with that guide? are you running a clutch mech too? i know you race etc so a bit more flowy terrain, but most courses certainly are still gnarly enough to cause it drop chain id guess?

cant wait now!

shop tells me i should lose about .5lbs!

mboy
    Free Member

Another MRP Lopes user here…

Well, I would be if I hadn’t cracked the upper guide yesterday afternoon whilst cleaning it! Note to anyone else out there… Superstar make chain devices with monkey metal, but tough plastic. MRP make VERY strong back plates, but on the Lopes SL certainly, the guides are made of pretty soft materials. Went straight onto CRC to order a replacement in time for the weekend, which is at least only £15, but alas, none in stock for weeks! 🙁

Fortunately got someone gonna lend me a Top only guide for Mayhem… Or also contemplating just putting a granny ring on also, with no shifter or mech, and changing manually in the mud! The time I take to change manually will probably be less than the time many people spend digging mud of their front mechs…

Oh, and 32T ring, 11-36 Cassette. I ride it on the Malverns though once in a while. If it was for flatter terrain, I’d fit a 34 or a 36. But as it is I’d rather the slightly lower gears than the slightly higher ones, if I’m spinning out 32/11, then offroad i’ll go faster by pumping anyway, and on road… Well I’m not bothered about that, I’ve got a road bike if I wanna go silly fast down hills!

njee20
    Free Member

do you ever drop the chain with that guide? are you running a clutch mech too? i know you race etc so a bit more flowy terrain, but most courses certainly are still gnarly enough to cause it drop chain id guess?

Never. It’s my only MTB too, so it’s done plenty of ‘normal’ and trail centre riding away from race courses, Afan, Dalby, Haldon etc as well as regular Surrey Hills riding and I’ve yet to drop the chain.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

great stuff! cheers njee! sounds like itll be fine then given im running a clutch mech! really cant wait to use it now, just have a feeling it will be hard to line up? cant just picture it catching on the hi/low gears at both ends!

i take it i dont need to remove any bb spacers now as im using a seat tube version? ideally should all fall into place as effectively my middle ring is still in the same place as before, and they chain guide i guess will run the same height and same way the cage on my front mech did? thus hopefully meaning it should be clear of rubbing?

PaulD
    Free Member

Will,

Is the Ultegra mech OK with the 32T cassette sprocket?

PaulD

will
    Free Member

Yeah, certainly is Paul. Not going to be as smooth on the 32 as a Mtb mech, but it works perfectly, and looks alot better!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Show me your 1 X 10 setups!’ is closed to new replies.