Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Show me you Solaris's please :-)
  • DarrenH

Or should it be Solarii?
    New frame arrived yesterday thanks to the lovely people at cotic and the build starts next week.
    I can’t wait so can you guys show me some of your Solaris pics to get my creative juices flowing.
    Thanks all!

pete68
    Free Member

Here’s mine. Really nice bike but paint seems to come off a bit easy.[IMG]http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o784/petetallboy/20130418_143657_zps07e4c4a6.jpg[/IMG]

Alex

You may have ridden it 😉 Cy’s ex-demo so I’m not worried about the paintwork!

Just built with slightly too burly tyres.

Cotic Solaris by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

In it’s happy place.

Worcester Beacon at Sunset by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I love mine. Really didn’t get 29ers until I tried this one. Currently waiting for new wheels after I filched this pair for the PYGA.

Bregante

Good choice. I’ve just built one up entirely from stuff on the classifieds, including the frame with a few odds and sods I already had and felt immediately at home on it. Early days yet but my Nicolai hasn’t had a look in since I got it.

Untitled by redmancunian69, on Flickr

Stem now swapped for a lovely 50mm Hope one

Untitled by redmancunian69, on Flickr

DarrenH

Looking lovely guys, I can’t wait to get building and get a few photos up on here.

metalheart
    Free Member

Pay, everybody knows Solaris should be green….

Finished (and post ride) by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

Some more build shots here:

And orange here:

rosscopeco
    Free Member

My, errrrmmm, slightly altered Solaris frame. 😳

I’m saving the pennies for a custom frame but couldn’t resist fettling with my current rig. I had all the original guides removed and then new custom guides brazed on to accommodate the Rohloff. Then brazed on some Paragon swinging dropouts thus removing the need for a chain tensioner but ensuring all the geometry stayed the same.

Surprisingly, all the tweaking ended up with a marginal weight saving of 1/3 lb on the overall build.

Tweaked Cotic Solaris by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

Tweaked Cotic Solaris by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

oxym0r0n

Butchered! 🙁
    Are you getting it re-sprayed at any point roscoe?
    Mind you, I’d have bought a Solaris that was available with sliding dropouts…

Bregante

Good grief rossco 😯

Is it me or is the seat tube angle super slack, rear clearance looks shocking.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

oxymoron: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Yes, I’ll eventually get it re-sprayed, if I can cope with not having it for a week! I did consider the ‘Simple’ but getting the back wheel off is a right faff. Compounded by IME never having had a horizontal dropout that didn’t loosen of it’s own accord.

All this ‘fettling’ is a kind of ‘experiment’ before I go for my custom build.

Bregante: Nothing has been tweaked in terms of geometry. My local frame builder and I spent considerable time making sure nothing was changed with these ‘mods’. The seat angle and clearance are still as per the standard Solaris. Might be my fish eye lens making it al look a bit weird 🙂

letmetalktomark

Loving that Rossco ^^ 8)

Just clear coat the bare bits.

The oxidization matches the saddle 8) 8)

My XL ….

Frame currently for sale …..

metalheart
    Free Member

Ye gods man, you could’ve at least slapped on some primer or anti-rust!

I thought that the tubes were a bit thin for that sort of nonsense (I was specifically warned off getting a frame shot blasted pre-availability of green on the grounds it might strip off too much metal…). Fortunately Cy saw sense and ordered up half a batch of greens to save me the bother… :mrgreen:

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

calumf50
    Free Member

Here’s mine:

mangatank
    Free Member

The angles look incredibly slack on the Solaris! I like that 🙂

Rear mud clearance at the seat tube looks extremely tight though. Is that proving to be an issue for the front mech or frame?

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Mine….

…it really needs a dropper though. I’ve also fitted a bionicon chainguide which has been really good so far.

All in all a bloody good bike.

mrmoofo

As soon as I get all the bits to mine, in the same country, I will post

Most of the stuff will just come straight of the Soul
    But, obviously, not the wheels and forks ! 8)

jimw
    Free Member

Mangatank, you do have to be careful in selecting correct mech or accept that you have to get a hacksaw out like I I did on an Shimano M960. Whilst it is quite tight between mech and tyre, I have not had any issues with mud.

mangatank
    Free Member

or accept that you have to get a hacksaw out like I I did on an Shimano M960

Love it! Been there!

For me It was a case of move to a 29er frame (this or Brant’s Ti Titus) or invest in a good dropper seatpost, so seatpost it was. That and I have a great bike already. Still fascinated by 29ers though.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Even though I’m nearly 6 foot I got a medium, with the saddle down on descents its like a huge mental BMX 🙂

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Couldn’t resist another……

rOcKeTdOg

sparksmcguff

‘Scuse the hijack. Out of interest what length forks are people running – no good at judging from photos. Am running 100s.

Edit, forgot a pic.

swanny853

Haven’t got any pictures to hand but I’m running a 100mm fork quite soft. That combined with flat bars keeps the front end nice and low which I think suits it.

DarrenH

100mm here, nice to see front mech/ seat tube clearance mentioned too, I mentioned that in my other thread.
    Can’t believe I’ve got 2 threads on the first page! 😆

sparksmcguff

Looking at my picture above looks like there’s only 80mm of travel! Better go and find out now.
    Also
    Cheers for the comments on fork length. Think I will try actually runing my forks at 100mm rather than just thinking i am.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Im running 120mm.

rups
    Free Member

here’s mine! finished yesterday and off for a shakedown ride today 😀

I’m running Marzocchi 44’s with the adjustable travel internals removed and fixed to 120mm.

lots more pics:

https://plus.google.com/photos/114008028931895730276/albums/5918340790741825537

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

rups – nice build.

Any issues with tyre rub out back?

winch
    Free Member

Nice rups. Silver bits go great with the stantions on the 44’s.

mattjg
    Free Member

Point of order: surely the plural of Solaris is Solarii?

oxym0r0n

Bit late to the party…

IMG_0632 by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

Running 100mm, 1×10 Works ring, Hoops, Thomson, B*stard Marta’s etc.
    Had it about 14 months now and still going strong!

rups
    Free Member

Cheers guys! had a good shakedown ride, the bike is as agile as I hoped with the wide bars and short stem, and the 30t front ring works well to balance between climbs and speed.

The clearance was tight on the rear tyre while it was static, and while riding there is definite rub when the frame and/or wheel flexes around corners and when pedaling, so I will swap out the tyre to a 2.25 rather than 2.35. They are Hans Dampf which are a bit bigger than the size suggests too 😉 It’s not much rub so that should sort it hopefully! Different matter when the tyre is caked in mud however….need to think about that before winter!

mangatank
    Free Member

Rups, what size is your frame?

DaveE

Rups, had similar issues with hans dampfs.
    Came to a compromise of Ralph and Nic combo.
    Will post pic when I get a chance.

DaveE

Here’s mine.
    Running Singlespeed with black spire tensioner.
    Haven’t ridden bouncy bike since April

[im..[/url]
    Solaris by
    Orange Dave, on Flickr[/img

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Not got a current pic of mine but running it single speed, rigid fork (2.4 Ardent) with a dropper post, its very good fun.

Dave E, what gear ratio are you running?

duckman

120mm travel(obviously not in this pic) large and also for sale.

rups
    Free Member

mangatank, it’s a medium. I’m 5’9 so was right on the border but Cy recommended I go with a med, and I put quite a short stem on it too. Feels good so far!

dave, yeah I was thinking of going Nics on it originally but found some Dampfs for a good price. I have them on my bouncy bike and like the tread pattern and high volume. Might think about putting a Nic 2.25 on the back?

duckman

I have nics 2.25 on, no issues with Scottish gloop last year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Show me you Solaris's please :-)’ is closed to new replies.