Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Show me you DIY shelves !
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve been putting off making or buying my son some shelves for his bedroom and need some inspiration. Ideally they’d need to fit up against the slope of the roof to the left as it’s a loft conversion. I’d like to keep it simple, but feel free to show off your works of art.

doris5000

no photos, but all my shelves are scaff planks from the local wood recycling place. If you’re cack-handed (i.e. me), they’ll cut them to size and sand them for you. Look nice, simple to do, cheap.

However, the thought of a sloping wall on one side is already giving me cold sweats

colp

My lad’s first snowboard and a couple of clamp style brackets

bails

My lad’s first snowboard and a couple of clamp style brackets

It’s a bit wonky!
    😉

GrahamS

My lad’s first snowboard

I like that!

No fine art here, but I’m proud of them because they actually came out looking surprisingly like my sketched plans (which is a first for me):

In terms of mounting I just used architrave mouldings (this sort of thing) as batons on the wall then laid the shelf on top with a couple of screws through it to make sure it didn’t slip about.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Under stair shelves. Held in place with screws angled from underneath the shelf using a pocket hole jig so from eye level there’s no visible fixings.

The weird looking taper on the left hand side of the bottom shelf isn’t actually a taper, it’s a shadow.

doris5000

lovely job muppetwrangler, very neat!

how are they for support on the angled side? The underside of my stairs seems to be some fairly lightweight board – not sure I’d want to put much weight on there…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

how are they for support on the angled side?

Same way on both the square and the angled side. This isn’t my picture but the underside looks a bit like this. I think I used 4 screws on each side.

The pocket holes are drilled using one of these

Really was a very easy way to do it.

Regarding the lightweight board. I probably had a bit of an advantage as I rebuilt the whole under stair area so I was able to strengthen that area prior to adding the shelves. It was a long time ago now but i think the shelves are fixed to 12mm mdf.

doris5000

ooh, that’s quite nice! So presumably your rawlplugs go in at a bit of an angle too? Is it tricky to get them to line up?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Because i was going into wood (well mdf) on both sides I didn’t need to use rawlplugs. Not sure that i would use the same method if i was going in to brick or block. In theory it sounds possible but in my head it seems to go from really easy to a bit fiddly as soon as you add in the complication of masonry bits and plugs.

Marin
    Free Member

Nice lamb banana

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Show me you DIY shelves !’ is closed to new replies.