Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Show me some tricked out long travel hardtail. I want some insperation.
  • stevenc
    Free Member

I’ve had an Iron Horse 6point6 for a year and only ridden it about 5-6 times. It’s not that I don’t like it I just rather my hardtail. I reckon I’d like another hardtail possibly steel but don’t know what one. So with that in mind show me what you have so I can ponder over the idea.

WackoAK
    Free Member

456 Summer Season

stevenc
    Free Member

Was looking at the On-one. How do you find it?

Candodavid
    Free Member
    WackoAK
    Free Member

How do you find it?

It’s ace, only had it for a few weeks so still in the honeymoon “new bikes are ace” mode but so far it’s been exactly what I was hoping.

It’s replaced a Blue Pig as I was looking for something slacker and with a slightly lower BB – with the fork at 130 it does that.

Plenty of people on here have one but a few don’t like the slackness when climbing but I guess it’s a case of what you are used to.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

’08 Orange SubZero with 160mm 36 RLC. The Crush (150mm) is the closest equivalent from the current range.

oink
    Free Member

Custom curtis with cove hummer geometry but to accept a longer fork – in this instance a 66 sl (170mm)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Is that an Instagram picture, oink?

bellerophon
    Free Member

Not sure I’d call it tricked out and is 140mm long travel, probably not, but hey ho here it is:

MOD: Image removed due to malware

wl
    Free Member

Three Fish – nice bike – what’s the finish and did you get Orange to do it?

mboy
    Free Member

is 140mm long travel, probably not

Anything over 120mm is on a hardtail IMO… With that in mind, here’s mine… On the lighter, more XC end of the scale than most bikes already featured… Not tricked out to the max, but the frame is Ti and the shifters and mech are old school XTR.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Three Fish – nice bike – what’s the finish and did you get Orange to do it?

Thanks wl. It’s polished raw, no clearcoat. Did it myself.

wl
    Free Member

Good work on a great bike. I have one myself but it’s looking slightly battered after 3+ hard years. Always interested in other colours and finishes, and yours looks mint. Maybe one day….

t-p26
    Free Member

Although only recommended to take 140mm max,here`s my Dialled PA with a 150mm Marzocchi. I have 4 other bikes none of which get as much use as this.

I’ll get mine on here once I get to my laptop. A ragley ti with rockshox revelations in White, White dt Swiss wheels, White cables, hope m4 brakes with White hoses, SRAM xo,shifters and mechs, slx chainset,SRAM redwin rear cassette, etc etc.

Vortexracing

two that I’ve had

IMGP1131 by eastham_david, on Flickr

IMG_2923 by eastham_david, on Flickr

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

chvck
    Free Member

NS Surge, the new frame appears to be rated to 180mm travel up front! Also has an adjustable drop out so you can rotate it and run SS or gears.

Mine’s at 15″ and when I have a bit more money thinking I may sell the frame and get one of the new frames in a slightly larger size!

IMG_0138 by chvckd, on Flickr

Coyote
    Free Member

The nicest looking Trailstar you’ll see today.

The “sofa-like” saddle has now been replaced with a Charge spoon.

robhughes
    Free Member

Three fish.I love that orange.
    Best looking H/T iv,e seen.
    Can i have it please. 😉

beanieripper
    Free Member

that trailstar looks minging

prezet
    Free Member

Cotic BFe

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Chumba HX1

Mine’s here… http://www.singletrackworld.com/2011/03/new-chumba-hardtails/

But my phones playing up so I can’t linky. T’is nice though.

(Edit: autolink ftw!)

snaps
    Free Member

2010 SC Chameleon Rohloff, was originally fitted with Pikes but now sporting 150mm Maverick DUC32s

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Can i have it please.

Nope. :mrgreen: I genuinely dread the day that this frame breaks. I wish I knew why Orange only did it for two years as I can really see it being the kind of design that many people would enjoy nowadays. I’ve improved more as a rider on this bike than any other I’ve had.

skiboy
    Free Member

my long fork ht’s

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Carbon 456, XT, hope v2s, Lyrik and a few other bits and bobs 😉

calum
    Free Member

my genesis alpitude:

craig1975
    Free Member

robhughes
    Free Member

Three_fish
    what are the frames like size wise.
    I,m 5″8 so a 16inch?
    I “NEED” one of those frames and will hunt one down. 🙂

orena45

What??! No Ragley’s???
    Best correct that!

deanfbm
    Free Member

_tom_
    Free Member

Seeing these Surges is making me want to buy one! I had a BFe for a bit and liked the slack head angle, but not the longer chainstays, made it feel a bit sluggish. The adjustable length dropouts on the surge are probably ideal 🙂

The nicest looking Trailstar you’ll see today.

I’ll see your Trailstar and raise mine!

Not very tricked out tho..

Three_Fish
    Free Member

what are the frames like size wise.

I’m more or less the same size as you and that 16″ fits me very well. I played around with various fitting options of cranks/bar/stem and finally settled on 172.5mm cranks, 50mm/zero rise stem and 685mm/19mm bar.

I’ve seen the ’07/’08 frames going for a hundred quid on eBay, which I find quite incredible, and full bikes for under £400. I keep my eye out on eBay, so it’s possible that we may find ourselves bidding against one another in the future!! That said, if I get another two years out of this one I will be very happy, and then I’ll have a steel frame made to the same geometry.

robhughes
    Free Member

Thanks bud.So your planning buying a second one then.?
    If you do beat me to one and have one spare i,ll take it off your hands 😉

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I know that people always think that their own bike is the best bike in the world, but I’ve actually never owned, or been on, a bike that makes me grin like this thing does. It makes me work hard, and enjoy it; it makes me concentrate on getting it right, and enjoy it; and it makes me want to do more, and enjoy it.

I’d love a spare frame ns would buy another one of these without question; but I’m not really planning to buy another, just keeping an eye open for the opportunity. I’m quite a smooth rider – something that the SubZero has encouraged – so it’s not like this gets abused; but at the end of the day it’s an aluminium MTB frame: it’s got a relatively short working life. If I happen to come across another one, or get my steel copy made sooner, I’ll give you a shout.

robhughes
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for that three_fish.That would be great.
    I,ll even bung you a few extra ££ for a pint on me.
    Cheers bud.

RealMan
    Free Member

Only 140mm, but it’s still great fun, and a bit of bling here and there.

haggis1978

Kent Eriksen

dsc01826_142 by stewartmckinven, on Flickr

deanfbm
    Free Member

My surge may be available to buy in a few weeks, frame only. Giving the full suss thing a go in the alps.

The surge is awesome as a fun bike, the short chainstay makes it so lively. It jumps really well, descends nicely. It’s also a treat to look at.

I’d instantly recommend one if someone is after a fun bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Show me some tricked out long travel hardtail. I want some insperation.’ is closed to new replies.