Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Show me a fast road bike…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

… with a rack, or some other luggage carrying capability. Enough to carry a computer and compact change of clothes.

bikeneil
    Free Member

prawny

I’ve got a rack you can fit to a bike without rack mounts if you want. Not sure what it would cost to post though. I’ve got no use for it, £15?

Axiom streamliner it is.

TiRed

1. MTX Beam rack and small computer and no clothes – use mine only for clothes/

2. Any race bike with a Tubus Fly rack and QR adaptor to mount on the skewer.

Otherwise Cannondale CAAD8 and as light as you like components.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m always very suspicious of those beam racks… They look like they place an awful lot of load on the seatpost.

prawny

This is what I used to use

proper solid. But I don’t have a road bike any more

TiRed

They look like they place an awful lot of load on the seatpost.

In truth I have’t carried a computer on one, and am wary of the ones with the drop down side pockets. The basic one holds a change of clothes and tools though.

Tubus Fly is the answer, then decide whether you want a bike with eyelets (alloy mainly) or are happy with the QR option,

If you want to take it off a lot, I think a seatpost collar is a better/faster option than the brake mounting. If your race bike has an aero post, then you will have no option. If your race bike has aero post and hidden V brakes, then you will use a rucksack 😉

stevious

The Thule ‘Pack N Pedal’ looks like an excellent option. It’s a kiwi design that they bought and a few people I spoke to in NZ raved about them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Prawny that looks good.

I would possibly use such a thing to ride to my hotel, then ride in the evenings during the week. Removeability would be nice but not essential I suppose.

midlifecrashes

One of these:

A pair of these:

Sorted

TiRed

I remove my rack from my fixed road bike regularly. Four bolts and I’m done. I don’t remove the brackets for my Raceblade Long mudguards that fit to the brakes. If you want to remove regularly, go with a seatpost collar adaptor. The Fly is however light and capable, but you will leave it on during the week. There is also a new Topeak rack that mounts to the brake mount and seat stays and takes the MTX system, but I don’t think it is as robust as a Fly.

That Thule looks nice, but I wouldn’t want to mount a rack to the stays, for no other reason than I value the paint finish.

Scapegoat

molgrips – Member
    I’m always very suspicious of those beam racks… They look like they place an awful lot of load on the seatpost.

Mine offers a max load of 7kg. That’s pretty conservative compared with my 100kg arse …………….

molgrips
    Free Member

The load from your arse is different though. A lot of it is in compression, not much as a turning/snapping moment. However, what’s on that rack is all turning/snapping force, and it’s even amplified by the leverage effect.

I guess that’s why the limit is 7kg, which isn’t really enough.

nedrapier

Looked at the Carradice SQR Slim? 10kgs, 16 litres. Takes A4 files and laptops of a similar size.

aracer
    Free Member

nedrapier

Plenty of users, plenty of reviews. Concensus is no-one’s had problems, but most would probably swap a lightweight carbon past for a cheaper alt one to use with the bag.

Edit:that a further to mine, not aracer’s! 🙂

drovercycles
    Free Member

As above, you can bodge a rack onto just about any bike. If I were looking for something that I was planning to carry luggage on, though, I’d pick one that had been at least vaguely designed to do that job and has the right fittings.

Ridgeback Advance would be pretty quick – http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/advance-7-0#details

Thorn know a thing or two about bikes like that and their Audax is a quick bike – http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/Thorn_Audax_Mk3_lowres.pdf

Something from Genesis could work too, their Equilibriums are comfortable carrying light loads (we’ve toured on them), the CdF/Croix de Fer/931 range would be even better load-carriers but a bit less nippy, and the performance road bikes would probably carry a load better than most full-on-road-bikes and perform VERY nicely.

nammynake
    Free Member

Saw this over on Pistonheads:

brakes
    Free Member

that was at the bespoked bike show and interestingly nedrapier was dribbling over it.

bob_summers

I use a Freeload rack, which has seen about 4yrs service (in which time they seem to have been bought out by Thule). No eyelets/screws required, it fits using nylon straps which are tensioned with a ratchet. Great things, have used it on steel and carbon seat stays, on road and off, and they even fit on the fork if you want. Takes a minute or so to remove using a special key.

You could then fit it to this:

💡

somafunk

Prob a bit more than you want to spend on a commuting bike, Tripster ATR with Tubus Fly Ti rack and Ortelib front roller panniers.

It could be a fast bike but certainly not when i’m riding as i generally bimble and admire the scenery.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Show me a fast road bike…’ is closed to new replies.