Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 186 total)
  • Show and Tell…Your Car that you bought for fun.
  • djglover
    Free Member

New fun, commuting, family car

P1040549 by danjwilkinson, on Flickr

manmurray

The only car rather than the fun car, still makes me grin every time I get in it 🙂

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Can’t wait for Spring to get here.

SLK-8.jpg by ian_warnes, on Flickr

manmurray

Trying that again…

northernerindevon

Despite a hankering for a Caterham I am stuck with my beloved 90. Bit modified but used as an everyday / everything vehicle. The Caterham will happen one day though (obviously in addition to the 90!), once a house is procured.

daftusername
    Free Member

Mx5 track slag. Broke it for parts when I started racing karts instead.

philb88
    Free Member

That track mx5 looks awesome!

Drapoon
    Free Member

Another 6 months on & my golf is getting closer to paint….!

Should be ready to commence the rebuild in a couple of weeks

Finished the engine in the mean time…

BadlyWiredDog

Loving the Mk1 GTi. I run a Mk2 with a TSR motor – head, cams, manifold, decent suspension etc. Not super fast, but fast enough to be fun and a proper car.

Also a Corrado VR6 Storm.

Drapoon
    Free Member

cool badlywireddog 🙂

Mine is running tsr big valve head with kent cam & 2.0 bottom end

murf
    Free Member

This was my weekend toy, pre children! 300BHP in a Mk1 MR2 thanks to a 2 litre turbo engine from an import mk2 turbo. Surprised a good few cars on track days.

[/URL]

Got a sensible Dad-wagon now, a 205 GTi with a 170bhp Gti-6 engine transplant.

[/URL]

murf
    Free Member

Oh, and an Accord Type R as well that is covered in crumbs and sticky finger prints!

Legoman
    Free Member

Well done for resurrecting this Righog – great thread.

Here’s mine, not bought, but inherited from my Gran who bought it when it was a year old.
    Full body restoration about 3 years ago, everything else original. Still smells the same inside as it did when we were kids!
    [/URL]]Bambino

Not fast, not loud, no good for transporting bikes, but it makes people smile & my kids love it!

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Last proper for fun only car

Now make do with this for the commute

TheFlyingOx

Oh, the memories:

380bhp monster, 0-60 in 4 seconds flat (probably a bit under if I’m honest – it was ludicrously quick), properly setup for the track and fast road use. Nice and stealthy exhaust for pottering about town, with an external wastegate & screamer pipe opening at 0.9 bar for when lunacy was required. Turned heads in carparks, on the road, and whenever it was tracked. A real, honest-to-goodness classic mental sports car, and I miss it every day.

I was going to keep it forever, and then two gang murders outside our flat in the space of 5 weeks happened. Working away and leaving wife & newborn son in that environment was not an option, so the car was sold to a racing driver over in Denmark to fund a house move to a quiet little village in Fife, and I’m left driving a Lexus IS200. It’s the Japanese Mercedes, don’t you know.

gazc
    Free Member

had a mare fitting a 2.0L subaru engine in it a few years ago but now it runs sweet and loads more reliable. had plenty of good times in him so far though. next project is building a kids bed for the little un for when she gets a bit bigger but for now she’s in the moses basket on the passenger seat… 🙂 looking forward to taking it to europe for a month in summer 🙂

Mattbike

Here’s my ford V6 powered landrover that I built from the groud up on a shortened discovery chassis. Coils springs disc brakes. Looked a bit ratty but mechanically perfect and fast! Took 2 years to build then sold it when expecting first child. :o(

will
    Free Member

@ Mattbike – That is amazing! I want that.

scud
    Free Member

I used to live in the south of Spain and take people on 5 week trips round Morocco for a living, so fuel costs were never a concer.

Ex-Californian Postal Service Jeep with 4.2 V8 and custom airbrush paint job (done before I bought it), picture quality is rubbish due to it being a scanned copy of a photo. Was right hand drive so postie was next to kerb.

Land Rover 101 Forward Control, originally with 3.5 V8 then swapped out for a Perkins Diesel, great fun messing about North Africa with mates.

chrisv8
    Free Member

Mines a shonky old Ford Cortina.

richmtb

Loving Flying Ox’s RX8, That’s an absolute beauty

Here’s my fun car

Around 400bhp, loads of mods (turbo, induction, exhaust, stand alone engine management)

I’ve never driven anything that covers the ground so fast and effectively. It eats hot hatches for breakfast and makes Porsches look stupid on twisty roads.

However its a nervous jiggly heavy bag of shite at normal road speeds and the clutch is ridiculously heavy in traffic.

Also it only manages about 8 MPG!

Consequently its currently for sale

daniebike
    Free Member

You guys sure have a lot of money to buy a car for fun, lol

peterfile
    Free Member

Anyone every owned a 350Z?

Seriously tempted to buy a 2005 from a friend. Seems to tick all the fun car boxes. Either that or sit my bike test!

Dickyboy

270bhp available apparently

Bens V8 by Dicky Boy 500, on Flickr

samuri
    Free Member

Mines a shonky old Ford Cortina.

It’s very nice. Never thought I’d say that about a Cortina. How old am I getting?

samuri
    Free Member

Tell me about it. I thought I earned good money till I looked at this thread. I still like plenty of these cars though. I fancy one of the older 1970’s cars myself. like that Spitfire.

righog
    Free Member

daniebike – Member

That is very true Danie, But what has been great from the contributors to this thread is that they have all been about adding a bit of fun to life rather than any willy waving “look how much my car cost”

Peterfile…350z is serious contender for me as well, they go great will be comfortable and reliable, have nice V6 engine, only thing perhaps they lack a little spirit ??….Maybe a good place to start from though.

chrisv8
    Free Member

It’s got 5.0 V8 under the bonnet Samuri, you are forgiven.

jekkyl

buy a car purely for fun!? some people have too much money sitting around.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

When I was about 8. Brrrm! Brrrrmmm!

righog
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    buy a car purely for fun!? some people have too much money sitting around.

jekkyl – Member
    I was bored one day at work so here’s my bucket list, for your admiration and/or derision.

1. Get and maintain independence- Achieved 1999
    2. Fall in love – Achieved 2004
    3. Get married and be happy- Achieved 2007
    4. Have at least one child – Achieved 2011
    5. Get proficient at a sport (Golf: 25%, Swimming: strong but never competed, Mountain Biking/Cycling: 70%?)
    6. Compete in a XC mountain bike race and not come last. Achieved 2013
    7. Complete an olympic distance triathlon and not come last
    8. Scuba dive somewhere tropical.
    9. Get proficient at a musical instrument.
    10. Have a ride on a helicopter
    11. Parachute jump, incl freefall
    12. Visit Thailand
    13. Visit Rome, incl The Colisseum & St Peters Basilica – Achieved 2008
    14. Visit New York
    15. Visit Paris and climb the Effiel Tower, see the Mona Lisa @ the lourve and visit Notre Dame Catherdral – Achieved 2007
    16. Cycle coast to coast UK – Achieved Sept 2011
    17. Cycle coast to coast Italy
    18. Cycle coast to coast USA.
    19. Cycle John O’Groats to Lands End
    20. Ski down a mountain.
    21. Ride a gondola in Venice – Achieved 2007
    22. See a wild snake – Achieved 2011
    23. See a wild badger – Achieved 2013
    24. See a wild bird of prey – Achieved
    25. See a london show- Achieved X 3
    26. Hike up the highest mountain in England – Achieved 2011
    27. Hike up the highest mountain in Scotland
    28. Hike up the highest mountain in Wales – Achieved 2013
    29. Live long enough to see a grandchild (hopefully many)
    30. Ride on a horse at a gallop
    31. Swim across a lake (& back again) – Achieved, Coniston 1994
    32. Shoot a magnum – Achieved 2007
    33. Shoot a shotgun – Achieved 2007
    34. See an opera – Achieved 2007, in Verona – La Boheme.
    35. Visit Pompei – Achieved 2008
    36. Visit the houses of Parliament, London – Achieved 2009
    37. Go to Oktoberfest, Germany
    38. Go to a music Festival
    39. Go to all-night ‘Rave’ – Achieved several times ;o)
    40. Compete in a Poker Tournament – Achieved 2010
    41. Create a sculpture

or it might just depend what you choose to spend said money on 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Wife just bought this which is quite good fun.

failedengineer

That Rover is absolutely stunning ……

Probably not that good to drive, however?

legend
    Free Member

djglover – Member

New fun, commuting, family car

On the £300/month lease deal by any chance? I know I’d be tempted…

loddrik
    Free Member

Those 135i’s are stunning value on lease deals at the minute. We were very tempted….

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Where is this deal. Just about to buy a fiesta st and would look at this instead

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

The Audi Quattro (the actual one used) from ashes to ashes has just sold on ebay for 15 grand!

jekkyl

I got this little beauty in 2012 & it’s great fun, manoeuvrability is fantastic, both inside & out. The engine is a little unreliable at times & often will just give up until it gets more juice. 😀

righog
    Free Member

Jekkyl..Those things just run and run with no maintenance, they handle best with with one steering and one on the roof for ballast.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Where is this deal. Just about to buy a fiesta st and would look at this instead

They ended a couple of weeks ago when BMW stopped the subsidy.

Gateway2Lease and Central Vehicle Leasing were the main suppliers. You might get lucky with a cancelled order or alternatively Golf R’s are £300ish on a 6+23.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Show and Tell…Your Car that you bought for fun.’ is closed to new replies.