Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Shout out for Aluminium.
  • rockymerlin
    Free Member

All I ever read is how awesome steel is.

I have just sold my On One Inbred frame to build up an Identiti AKA 7005 alloy frame. I’d just like to say how awesome it felt going back to aluminium.

The alloy frame won’t oxidise in such a manner as to render it useless. It is stiffer, lighter, stronger and therefore much, much better. Anyone else here feel the same…..?

righog
    Free Member

And if you rub it hard enough it goes shiny. 😀

nickc

yep, love my Cham, when it breaks I’ll buy another. Done all the steel is real stuff. Don’t think I’ll go back

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martymac

one of my bikes is alu, and its great.
    2 of my bikes are steel, they are great too.
    ridden a ti bike in the 90s, it was, er, er, um, like, ok i suppose.
    what about a wooden bike?
    i havent ridden one of those.

Northwind

Stiffer =/ better. But also alu isn’t always stiffer than steel.

I have carbon, alu, ti and steel bikes. They’re all good.

charliedontsurf

Stiffer is not always better… Got to choose the right material for the job, and then get the design right.

I have a salsa dos Niner alloy 29er, the walls must be super thin as the front triangle flexes like good steel.

An on one inbred is very basic steel, so it’s not like you have experienced a great set of steel tubes… And I am sure there are steel frames lighter than the Identiti… But crack,on and enjoy your ride.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

…but will fail earlier…

charliedontsurf

Scienceofficer – Member
    …but will fail earlier…

Indeed, assuming you are referring to my thin wall salsa.

I dented the frame in the first two miles.

The rear end is a soft tail, IN SCANDIUM, so it’s flexing all the time, in the area that will get chain suck gouges…

i am over 15 stone, and I am constantly surprised it has not snapped.

Joe

boo

ndthornton
    Free Member

Aluminium for full sus
    Ti for hardtails
    Carbon for racers
    Steel for pub bikes and beards 🙂

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Hahahaha, I would like to say, for the record I have a titanium frame, a carbon frame and an alloy full suss. I wanted to set a cat amongst the steel biast pigeons to really see what they could come up with. And Charlie- you need to lay of the beer dude.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it that a fair comparison, going from gas-pipe steel to aluminum?

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Probably not, thats why I sold it.

marko75
    Free Member

Without sounding toooooooo nerdy – Al will oxidise more readily that almost any other metal – even at very low partial pressures of O2 (in a vacuum for instance). However, unlike steel, Al will oxidise using parabolic kinetics rather then linear(ish) kinetics for Fe based alloys (with low Cr content).

Another pointless fact is that Ti (and its alloys) has one of the highest specific strengths (strength against density) of any element/alloy

Right – ill get me coat!

Edric64
    Free Member

I like aluminium,all my ladders are made from it .My bikes however are steel

brant
    Free Member

An on one inbred is very basic steel,

Not really.

It’s a double and triple butted, chromoly tubeset, made by Founderland in Taiwan, rebadged as Reynolds 520 and various other things with other house brand names.

T1000
    Free Member

Touché

rockymerlin
    Free Member

It’s interesting that the chromoly 4130 tubing is the same as a reynolds 520 tube set.

I wonder just how much marketing I am un- doing with this post now. 🙂

Must confess I love being able to hose the bike down and not worry about the frame, as its s.s and at the moment rigid I only have a freehub, disc brakes, b.b and headset to worry about.

convert

The alloy frame won’t oxidise in such a manner as to render it useless.

[pedant] both the frames you are referring to are made of an alloy [/pedant]

I’m also yet to have a steel alloy frame rust enough to be rendered useless. You hear of the odd frame rotting from the inside out but I think it takes years of abuse.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

ha! please forgive my lapse metallurgist terms.

There has been so much grit on the roads recently I didn’t want to find out.

I did like my on one frame however the identiti just offers up much more potential, 650b wheels, sliding drop outs (nothing the inbred didn’t) handling up to a 140mm fork, ( I have a lovely talas fork awaiting installation [dependant upon weather conditions] ) just a shame it isn’t made- or designed in Yorkshire.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I also like ally, as my Filing Cabinet is made from it. However my HT is fillet brazed Tange Prestige & it’s tubes can be easily replaced, & is now on it’s Mk 8 version. It’s at the framebuilders having a new top tube & powdercoat, I’ll post photo’s when I get it built back up again.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Just in case your tempted- I also have an ally cat….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Shout out for Aluminium.’ is closed to new replies.